April 20, 2024, 03:02:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Free Running Oscillators  (Read 3758 times)

junglephone

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Free Running Oscillators
« on: June 22, 2018, 03:56:31 pm »
It's a modular. Always-on oscillators would be great. Don't want to be limited to on/off keyboard MIDI gate. Love the sound quality of MMV3 and would use it a lot more with this feature. Seems like a no-brainer since it is well established in other modular soft synths.

LBH

Re: Free Running Oscillators
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 07:47:06 pm »
Modular V have free running OSCs. Free running OSCs is about the waveform cycle.

But if i understand you correct, then you are looking for a way to keep the gate open.
You can use a hold pedal. It's true there is'nt a note hold button, but i don't mind if we got one. I also don't mind a seperate "Open Gate parameter".
Perhaps a LFO with closed PW as VCA trigger or the sequencer with full length will do, but only when in mono and unison playmode.

Have Moog modulars ever had other possibilities to keep the gate open?

Some other Arturia synth have other ways to control the gate.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:52:59 pm by LBH »

Noel Hebert

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:02:59 am »
Junglephone,

There is already a way to make oscillators free running.

1. Set the keyboard follow option for the oscillator group you want to free run to "no".
2. Drag a connection cable from the source oscillators waveform output to the input of one of the VCA/EGs on the right side.
3. Set the trigger source of the connected VCA/EG to input oscillator i.e. Osc 1 trig.

For step 2, you can if you wish substitute one of the filters (or any other module) as output target, then connect the output cable to the VCA/EG.

The oscillator should now free run.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:50:45 pm »
Junglephone,

There is already a way to make oscillators free running.

1. Set the keyboard follow option for the oscillator group you want to free run to "no".
2. Drag a connection cable from the source oscillators waveform output to the input of one of the VCA/EGs on the right side.
3. Set the trigger source of the connected VCA/EG to input oscillator i.e. Osc 1 trig.

For step 2, you can if you wish substitute one of the filters (or any other module) as output target, then connect the output cable to the VCA/EG.

The oscillator should now free run.
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Thanks for your input.

Yes you can use anything that is set to be able to trigger the VCA to open the gate fast enough. But never the less it's repeatedly triggering to open the gate.
In Buchla V you can just open the gate with a slider. You can't do that in Modular V as it is now.
And in ARP 2600 V you can bypass the VCA, and you also the option to use the hold button. You can't do that in Modular V as it is now.
Having a hold button in Modular V would keep the gate open. One can use a hold pedal to keep the gate open allready. So i assume Arturia could add a hold button quite easy. Having one hold (open gate) button or slider for each VCA would be more versatile, but perhaps not as easy to add. You can trigger each VCA independent from each other, doing what you and i have suggested to trigger a VCA.

Free running oscilators and a gate that's open all the time is two different things.
A closed gate in it self do not make a free running OSC to not run free. A free running OSC run even when the gate is'nt open.
One can have the definition that free running is only about having a gate open all the time. But for the understanding i think it's good to look at the OSC and the gate as two different things. A gate does'nt run, and have no impact on wheather a OSC run free or not.
An article example on this: https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/synthesizer-basics-explained-with-audio-samples/

But the main thing is, if one somehow can do what one wan't with the current possibilities.
In this case it look like it was about keeping the gate open all the time.

BTW: It's not a must to set the driver to "NO", but an option depending on what you wan't to do. Is'nt it?

Best

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines