March 29, 2024, 12:43:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beatstep Pro not sending the correct pitch CV  (Read 8578 times)

shunt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Beatstep Pro not sending the correct pitch CV
« on: June 22, 2018, 02:46:29 pm »
I just got my BSP. I was reading the manual while connecting it to my Doepfer Dark Energy II. By the time I understood the keyboard and note layout I realized that it is sending incorrect pitch CV to my Dark Energy. Even when I transpose the BSP's keyboard three octaves down and pitch the Dark Energy's VCO one octave down, the CV that the BSP is sending is still at least one octave too high. Sounds more like two or three octaves too high to me tbh. (I had the similar problems with my Microbrute.)
So I thought: Alright, maybe I can fix this with the MIDI control center. I connected it to the PC and got a hum of death and was like "wtf?!" until I realized that this is the ground noise the manual was talking about when praising the glorious anti ground loop adapter. The adapter does indeed work, but I'm left with "it's not a bug, it's a feature" ringing in my ears. So including the ground lift adapter with only one usb cable seems a bit cynical to me___anyhow...
As far as I can tell the MIDI control center does not bring any relief. In the device settings the 0V MIDI Note for both Sequencers is set to C-2. I can set it to something like C3, which gives me the lowest note I can achieve by transposing the BSP's keyboard three octaves down (still higher than a c0) by default, but this also limits my range to three octaves (whithout reaching c0) since the BSP cannot pitch it lower (although the OCT- button inidcates transposition), but only higher.
Then I connected the Dark Energy to the BSP via MIDI and everything works fine: The pitch is correct. But I can use my computer or any of my other cheapass MIDI controllers for that. I bought the BSP to send CV that I can modulate.

So, any idea what's the problem here?

shunt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Beatstep Pro not sending the correct pitch CV
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:14:54 pm »
Same problem with my Microbrute: The BSP sends a pitch way too high. It also transposes the Microbrute's keyboard two octaves up. So it seems like the BSP's pitch outputs continously send 2 volts out. What's going on here? How can I reset the device to factory default settings? Don't see this in the manual.

shunt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 04:26:15 pm »
I performed a hard reset. The BSP still behaves as described. I set up an offset for the 0V note. The value now is C3. So now it doesn't automatically transpose the Microbrutes keyboard up if I plug in the pitch CV cable coming from the BSP. If I play the BSP in this setup, I am able to shift octaves up (on BSP), but not down (although the OCT- pad indicates a down shift). Meaning: My lowest possible note coming from the BSP via CV is a C3. Setting the 0V note to anything higher than C3 does not have any effect on the pitch. Only 0V note values lower and including C3 effect the pitch.

shunt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:57 pm »
Aaahww, screw this flimsy bleep plank. This is going back to the dealer.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 03:05:58 pm »
Hi shunt,
Sorry but I do not understand your post enough in order to answer correctly. But I am thinking it is a setting issue.
By the way, I think you already sent it back to the dealer.

Regards,
Y.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 03:08:26 pm »
There are two transpositions: one for pads (acting like a keyboard) OCT-/OCT+, one for sequences "SEQUENCER1/2" + "OCT-/+".
I guess you were confused there.

Regards,
Y.

yuhaozi

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2018, 01:09:22 am »
I got a way to fix it .if you guys play modular synths ,buy a Intellijel triatt.
Then you will find there are 3 switches on it.
And 3 functions of each.
One function is when you turn the knob counter clockwise to the end,you will get -5v out ,then plug Arturia any hardwares pitch cv into input hole .you will get original (0 to 10v) -5 volts, Yes, -5 to +5.
Hope it helps

yuhaozi

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 01:26:49 am »
Or
Erica Pico mscale.
 ;D

Néstor

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:23:56 pm »
I'm having the same issue. This is quite a problem, if the CV control doesn't work properly. I've bought the BSP just a few days ago, and it's giving me several problems...

If someone can help, it would be nice!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2018, 08:34:58 am »
More details please?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

quadraspleen

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2018, 12:45:03 am »
My BSP has started doing this exact same thing since the last firmware update (latest 2.0.1.6)

It will not send different pitch CV at all now. If I press any pad I get the same note on both sequencers. If I perform a hard reset it fixes it for a short while then goes back to sending the same CV pitch.

It has also greatly reduced the range of notes it will send since the last firmware update. My modular VCos have a +/- 7 octave range. My BSP will send about 4 now.

Help!

killkrt

• Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 03:17:03 am »
Same situation here!

Intellijel Dixie II and Moog Mother 32 are expecting a -/+5V range while Beatstep Pro pitch CV provides only positive voltage (0-10V, I have checked with my oscilloscope).

I have to use an offset generator (such as Shades or Maths), it's quite annoying and could create some little detuning issues.  >:(

I hope it will be solved soon.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 09:59:15 am »
Hi all,
BSP outputs from 0 to about 10V. It will not send negative voltage.

I hope it will be solved soon.
Unfortunately, there is nothing to be solved.

This is quite a problem, if the CV control doesn't work properly.
It works properly. It is a problem of incompatible standards.

quadraspleen, have updated your MCC to the last version? Using a old MCC can corrupt the BSP.

Regards,
Y.

killkrt

• Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:46 am »
BSP outputs from 0 to about 10V. It will not send negative voltage.

So that means, by design, CV output can be only positive and there is no way (via firmware update) to keep the Vpp, but change their ranges?

Furthermore, I've read that gate output is +12V, lot of devices take +5V as valid gate, I know that Doepfer specification states that gears should withstand +12V, but it would be great at least having an option to reduce the gate voltage (and avoid to waste precious attenuators).

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2018, 11:03:28 am »
So that means, by design, CV output can be only positive and there is no way (via firmware update) to keep the Vpp, but change their ranges?
Yes.

Furthermore, I've read that gate output is +12V, lot of devices take +5V as valid gate, I know that Doepfer specification states that gears should withstand +12V, but it would be great at least having an option to reduce the gate voltage (and avoid to waste precious attenuators).
There is no option to attenuate the output gates in BSP. The hardware cannot be attenuated via firmware. You need to use attenuators.

Regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines