March 28, 2024, 01:20:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Micro USB is dying  (Read 4523 times)

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Micro USB is dying
« on: August 20, 2017, 07:28:28 pm »
Turned the mac on this morning and I have no sound device.  Seems the slightest wiggle of the micro usb cable is turning it off and on.  I've tried on 2 macs with different cables.  It happens if the cable moves even slightly to the left and right - not up and down.  And that's kind of unavoidable with the amount of other cables behind it.
This is really unacceptable.  It's such a flimsy fitting and shouldn't be on such a premium piece of kit - especially aimed at being fairly mobile - which mine isn't!  I just keep it on the desk.  Now the slightest knock or wobble and my speakers are banging.

What can be done about this?

HomerChill

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Micro USB is dying
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 03:23:51 pm »
If the USB port itself is damaged, it must be sent in. Its still under warranty.

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 12:47:41 am »
That means I'm without a soundcard of any description as I'd have to send it to Arturia and that will no doubt be weeks as it would now be considered a repair.
I'll have to save up get a backup device first. 
In the meantime I've swapped the micro-usb cable for a better quality, extra thick, braided Anker and used a whole packet of Sugru to make sure it's completely incapable of wiggling in any direction...

HomerChill

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 03:18:55 pm »
Yeah that's the unfortunate thing about having to send something in for repair, but this simply sounds like a physical port issue from my untrained eyes.. :)

Yes ANKER!! ive converted my daily use USB and iPad cables to ANKER. Top quality. I also have some metal braided ones as well. The usual cables are so poor quality  on most things that ship with them and that's the first thing i replace..

Guillaume Arturia

• Administrator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 11:54:50 am »
Hi MrBob and HomerChill,

It seems on my side that your unit has been replaced by a new one, can you confirm me that it is the case and that the new unit is working fine ?

Your previous unit will be analysed as soon as we receive it from our distributor.

Anyway, i hope that you're now able to enjoy your AudioFuse as expected and i'm quite sure that's the case as the issue you've previously faced isn't a common issue on this product.

In any case, do not hesitate to come back to us if needed !

I wish you all a nice day !

Best regards,
Guillaume

mrbob

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 03:26:07 pm »
Hi Guillaume,
This is my replacement.  I had returned my previous Audiofuse several weeks ago to the vendor who exchanged it for this one ( Juno Records - http://www.juno.co.uk ).
Until now this has been working fine, but basically any sideways movement to the usb cable causes the unit to power on and off.  This is easily done by moving an instrument that moves the Audiofuse or swapping a cable.  My "fix" is working well for now, but it means I can only use this cable and so can't use the cable supplied with the extra power lead (unless I make another Sugru alteration!). 
The supplied cable, I noticed, doesn't fit flush in the socket and has the potential to wiggle.
What was wrong with good old USB B ?

OnPhire

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 02:36:57 am »
Hi,
It seems like the problem with the Micro USB connection is NOT the port on the AudioFuse ... but the "Y" cable that comes with it.

The cable is very loose and does not fit securely into the port.

I purchased a replacement micro USB cable from monoprice.com that fits very tight and does not wiggle when plugged into the AudioFuse.
I am not losing connection anymore when I move or bump the AudioFuse.

I suggest that Arturia source their micro USB cables from a different manufacturer.

Hope that's helpful.

OnPhire MasterMix Lab.
2013 iMac 27"- 3.2GHz i5 - 24MB - HDD
2012 MacBookPro 15" - 2.3GHz i7 - 16MB - SSD
MOTU 1248 - MOTU 8A - AudioFuse
Studio One 3 - ProTools 12 - Mixbus 4 - Reason 9.5

breakfast1

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 07:56:55 am »
Im having this exact same problem. How do I go about resolving this issue?

paulsoffe

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:15:11 pm »
hi i have been in touch with Arturia support and gone through everything.I contacted my store here in UK to collect the unit tomorrow and just contacted again to say i'm keeping it for time being.
Now the thing is i have discovered that if you use a usb port that does not have the correct current it will do exactly what all the above have been saying. You move slightly the usb unit end and it cuts off. OK . I tried different combination of usb hubs and the THIN cabled usb must be put in a usb hub that has enough power. Wow it works. I realized that trying for example my usb hub that has a power only socket by placing the thin cabled usb into it it works perfectly.I waggle the cable and no problem. I think this is the issue. I am awaiting my refurbished macbook pro and if it works on those usb ports ok i will not return it

LATEST LATEST !!!FORGET ABOVE WORKOAROUND! I just returned from lunch and the friggin thing has gone and done the same thing. Of course one can use the power unit and there is no problem but if you want to use it without external power you have had it! So its going back tomorrow to hopefully get fixed.I agree the way it moves in the socket is odd so perhaps that is the problem.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 03:32:00 pm by paulsoffe »

fulvius

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 07:57:24 pm »
I'm having this exact same problem. this problem is really annoying and unacceptable

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines