April 23, 2024, 04:02:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Metallizer  (Read 2289 times)

guyaguy

• Apprentice
Metallizer
« on: June 18, 2018, 04:43:16 am »
The 2 filters are great but one of the reasons I chose the MatrixBrute was the Metallizer--a lovely wavefolder for getting more West Coast/Buchla tones. I didn't find a thread dedicated to tips and tricks on using the Metallizer so I'll kick things off...

Audio rate modulation
At some point most modular synthesists using wavefolders will discover the joy of modulating the wavefolder with audio. Modulating it with a standard LFO gives you something somewhat similar to a PWM sound, but hit it with audio rate and you can get very complex and/or rough waves.

Mod Matrix Routing
One way of doing this is routing LFO 3 to the Metallizer in the mod matrix and setting the LFO as fast as it can go. For even richer harmonic variation, also route the filter EG to the Metallizer or route a slower LFO to it.

External Routing
Another way of doing this is to route audio to the Metallizer CV in on the patch bay. Essentially this can be any audio, including the audio from the MatrixBrute if you have a splitter or modular mult. Or initialize a patch with just a triangle VCO, set Metallizer to about 10 o''clock, grab your phone, plug the output to the Metallizer, and hit play on a beat-heavy song. You should hear that the song is modulating the wave with strong accents on the beats.

What tricks have you found?

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Metallizer
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 08:19:52 pm »
These are helpful, thanks! I've been wondering how to make the most of the Metallizer.

guyaguy

• Apprentice
Re: Metallizer
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:10:21 am »
These are helpful, thanks! I've been wondering how to make the most of the Metallizer.
Glad to hear.

This is obviously no the Matrixbrute but it's a good demo of the type of tones that wavefolders in general excel at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzZp1d2W1h8

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines