March 28, 2024, 10:03:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Best MIDI setup to use Keystep with Blofeld and Squarp pyramid sequencer  (Read 3908 times)

Ubik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi all, to avoid scratching my head for the next 20 years what would be the best midi setup for my case?

Squarp pyramid has 1xMIDI in, 2xmidi out, 1xcv in, 1xgate in, 1xcvout,1x gateout
Blofeld synth has only 1xMIDI in, while keystep you know as almost everything.

I would like to use the pyramid sequencer capabilities and have them all synced . Keystep will be the playing keyboard-

Sorry for my basic terminology, I am back to synths and electromusic after 40 years and the technology seems different uh:-)

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
40yrs, long time heheh, but the tech has an hasn't changed.  Synths have gone digital, then hybrid, then everyone moved to computers, which prompted the analogue rival and now modular is becoming the new black.  In fact I think it's moving into a golden age of modular synthesisers.

Now your set up.  I have all that you have listed but I am running a fair bit more also.  I have also just got home after a 14hr day, so if you can bear with me until tomorrow, I can give you a good idea of the ways you could run the gear in the fashion you'd like to.
It's the Keystep/Pyramid bit I need my brain for, as the Pyramid having the two MIDI out's on it makes it the candidate for master time keeper and transport control, but you also want your Keystep to be entering notes for into the Pyramid while still running around to the Blofeld, but the also receiving clock and start/stop messages.

Start with setting the Pyramid to send the MIDI received on the input to be merged with the Pyramid's sequences on, say, MIDI A, but also the Pyramid needs to send clock (tempo) to the Keystep.  You can do this by disabling all MIDI out on MIDI out B, but turn on MIDI clock (or real time messages with tempo is part of) on MIDI B.  I can't think right now exactly how it all goes inside the Pyramid, but I know my simple directions above are close to how you will need to start.

For the mean time have a go at that (if my directions actually followable) give the terrible Pyramid manual a browse and hopefully I'll be more with it tomorrow when I sit down here and can be a little more specific about how to do it....
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Ubik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanxs so much for helping me.. While I was awaiting a Samaritan reply I thought that in case no reply I would have kept keystep master clock and connect the blofeld to pyramid midi A leaving the midi B empty for a future another machine.. But maybe to symplistic..and probably wrong... Cheers
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 08:36:16 pm by Ubik »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Thanxs so much for helping me.. While I was awaiting a Samaritan reply I thought that in case no reply I would have kept keystep master clock and connect the blofeld to pyramid midi A leaving the midi B empty for a future another machine.. But maybe to symplistic..and probably wrong... Cheers

No, not at all.  The simpler the better.  My reasoning for using the Pyramid as the master was due to a) It has a display that will tell you exactly what BPM you are running at as well as it doing 10th's of a BPM, the draw-back to this is the tempo setting doesn't have a dedicated knob.  Reason b for thinking that way was I was tired (lol).

I remembered last night after posting, when using the Pyramid, the way to merge data on the MIDI in port is to tell it in the MIDI menu to THRU MIDI from the in to one of the outs.

Running with the Keystep as master would mean single-touch tempo control but only a guestimate of the actual tempo.  I can't remember if the Pyramid does display external tempo on it's screen (I actually haven't used it for awhile).  You'd have to set the Pyramid to sync to external MIDI and as with the other solution, tell the Pyramid to THRU the MIDI from the DIN in to the output the Blofeld is on.  Also the Pyramid can be told to send tempo data to any, all or none of the MIDI outputs.  In factory default setting, it's set to send on the two DIN ports and the USB port, so you shouldn't need to change this, but always worth checking.

With only three devices, it's not too hard to fumble around with MIDI for short time before working out the best way to patch it all, but a little nudge in the right direction makes it all a little less daunting.  MIDI is made out to be a perplexing protocol at times, but that's played up a good amount and with a some patience and reading, you can get the basics and more under your belt.

With regards to the CV ins and outs on your gear, I have used the ins and out on both the Pyramid and the Keystep.  I've run an MS-20 off both with great results, and clocked a Pocket Operator with the Keystep.  Now I remember not having to gooder results with the Keystep due to it transmitting a not-so-hot trigger voltage, so the PO was having troubles sensing it (so I clocked a Volca Beats with the Kestep then clocked the PO from it).  I'm not too up on how the Keystep goes as a CV keyboard controller as I've not tried out like that yet, but I have used both pitch and velocity CV's as modulation sources for the MS-20.
I'd hazard a guess that the Pyramid would be able to process the various CV's from the Keystep though you'd have to go into a menu to configure what the two CV's are controlling.  Doing it that way would mean you could run the Keystep as master and will give you a free MIDI DIN port to feed another synth with that you might only want to sequence with the Keystep.  I actual have mine going directly into my Tetra with it then being passed onto my MIDI patchbay, that's how much I think the two suit each other.  But I don't run anything via it's CV, yet.  I'm three modules into a modular synth though, so I know that will change before the end of the year ;)
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Ubik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanxs will start working on it tomorrow morning.. Back to you.. Cheers

Ubik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi, what I made... Midi in:ignore sync OFF(I believe he will sync to keystep sens this way, manual is tricky)
Midi A out: sync send, midi thru
This way seemed OK except the pad on pyramid where not working. I then changed Midi A out mode changing from  thru to midi out+thru.. Now pyramid works... Makes sense to you?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Hi, what I made... Midi in:ignore sync OFF(I believe he will sync to keystep sens this way, manual is tricky)
Midi A out: sync send, midi thru
This way seemed OK except the pad on pyramid where not working. I then changed Midi A out mode changing from  thru to midi out+thru.. Now pyramid works... Makes sense to you?

Oh yes, yes, I forgot to mention about that.  As the Pyramid has two MIDI out's, it needs to be told which to use to send on.  The pads are on one setting (in the global menu somewhere) and the track are set within the track settings, the same place you assign the track's MIDI channels.  It's a two button combo press you use whilst in track mode.
So, yes what you described makes sense.

Are you able to send the Keystep onto the Blofeld through the Pyramid with the setting you've made?

Ubik

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Yes, I can play both with keystep and pads of pyramid :)
Quite exciting! Thanxs

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines