March 28, 2024, 08:39:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Beginner question: how do I turn off Control Mode  (Read 2948 times)

gregab

Beginner question: how do I turn off Control Mode
« on: June 11, 2018, 02:03:39 am »
Hello. I'm a new BSP user. I've been really enjoying working with the device so far. However when I turned it on today it seems to be stuck in Control Mode. Pressing the Control Mode button doesn't turn it off. And in this mode the pitch pads send different pitches over midi to my synth than what their labels say. I've googled and searched through the manual and I can't seem to find any way to turn Control Mode off and get back into the normal operation of the Beatstep Pro. Halp?

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Beginner question: how do I turn off Control Mode
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 06:18:59 am »
To use the sequencers you press the main button associated with them, i.e. the Sequencer 1, 2 and Drums buttons.  Pressing the Controller button won't toggle control mode on and off, it just selects that mode, even if you are already in that mode.  If nothing happen when you do that, you better take it back to the store and ask to have an exchange.  But before doing that, make sure you are not just missing something.  Plug it into MCC and check the user map settings are set to a simple chromatic scale (C-C with all notes in between as they should be on a standard piano).  After all that, if things are still not right, try to upload the latest firmware.  Go to the support page for the BSP on the Arturia website.  Locate and download the latest BSP firmware (2.0.1 I think it is, but it'll be the one at the top of the firmware list).  Open MCC with your BSP connected, click the firmware button and you will be asked if you want to update the firmware.  Click update then point the file browser to the .led file you downloaded.  It'll tell you to turn off your BSP then turn it back on again and click "okay".  Do all that and sit for a minute or so.  The BSP will restart and MCC will reconnect to your BSP.  If you have any patterned in the BSP you want to keep before you do the update, back them up BEFORE you update, but it sounds as though you haven't got to that stage yet....

So try all that, get back to us (the forum) with whether or not it worked, and if not let us know what you did and what happened after.  Worst comes to worst, it's a trip back to the store, but hopefully it can get sorted without having to take it back.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Sean Pierce

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 07:06:30 pm »
Same issue as gregab. Beatstep Pro has been locked in Control Mode since i unboxed it and first switched it on. No amount of firmware updates or factory resets (in either order) makes any difference. And from my online searches this seems to be a very common problem too. With support or advice (beyond updates and resets) being thin on the ground and limited to ''take it back'' at best. Unfortunatly (and this is no-ones fault, just life being a bugger), due to serious illness there was a full year between my Beatstep Pro being delivered and me getting to unbox it. So thats just another £200 that my studio has swallowed up and i'll never see again! All i can do is advise people NOT to buy Arturia products. So i now make sure i do that where-ever possible to make sure i save any more people the same trouble.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:15:43 pm »
All i can do is advise people NOT to buy Arturia products. So i now make sure i do that where-ever possible to make sure i save any more people the same trouble.
No that's just being a dick. It's not Arturia's fault you didn't test it for a year. It might not be your fault, but it's certainly not theirs. Also, the internet is a big place, so you could Google any tiny malady in the world and according to the internet it's a widespread issue, because you're obviously not including responses from the thousands of people who haven't joined a forum for assistance because they don't have issues.

You could always try taking back to your retailer and explaining the unfortunate situation, but if I was your retailer and and you marched in with that attitude I'd just shrug my shoulders and say sorry pal it sure sucks to be you, bye. Sometimes you have to play the humble card and people might bend the rules a little bit for you.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 11:18:58 am »
Oh, just thought, I didn't suggest trying a different cable or USB power adaptor.  It could be an issue to do with that.
Interesting that the OP never came back.  Does tend to say they got the issue sorted one way or another, but a shame we don't get to find out how, if they did at all.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines