March 29, 2024, 08:12:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: BSP and iPad - major problems  (Read 1644 times)

kiki_90291

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
BSP and iPad - major problems
« on: June 07, 2018, 06:13:37 am »
I just bought a BSP and it works fine with other hardware, but it is causing serious problems with my iPad.  I have set it up in a number of different ways - through the powered CCK directly, through a Novation Aubiohub, with and without the Y-ground loop adapter, before and after resetting the ipad, using the "shift/stop" startup - same result every time.  The "device not supported" screen pops up periodically (and goes away on its own) and any MIDI application becomes unresponsive or simply shuts down on startup.  I've tried Gadget, AUM, Moog Model D, FM Player, Roli Noise . . . it's bizarre.  No issues using my Keystep with the Ipad running through the Audiohub.  Any idea what could be going on here? 

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: BSP and iPad - major problems
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2018, 10:31:59 am »
Hi kiki_90291,
When using low power mode (SHIFT+STOP+Power up), you must use the Y cable to supply the lack of power.

Regards,
Y.

kiki_90291

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 04:01:19 pm »
I'm doing that.  Still have the problem.

kiki_90291

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:06:43 am »
Finally had some time to monkey with it this evening.  I started from scratch - made sure the BSP and MIDI Control Center software was up to date, did a factory reset of the BSP and then started with just the BSP into the iPad (powered CCK, y-cable thingy).  Everything worked fine in both low power mode and normal.  Then I ran everything exactly the same way, but through the Novation Audiohub - everything went to hell again, in either low power and normal mode.  I'm guessing having a USB hub in between is the problem.   That sucks, since the Audiohub is a great interface . . . . I'll try it with DIN MIDI - I assume that will resolve the issue.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 06:20:33 am »
BSP seems to be very fickle about cables as well as hubs, in my experience.  I've taken to connecting it directly with a USB2.0 600mm cable that has a nice and long header on the BSP end.  I've found that just because a cable will power the unit via a USB mains adapter, that doesn't mean it'll work as a stable connection to a computer.  And even then, I've found cables that will work one time, then need the Y-cable to work again....gremlins are in there, I swear!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

kiki_90291

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 06:29:29 pm »
I think I've figured it out.  It works fine without the ground loop adapter (the y-cable) when using the Audiohub or a powered USB hub. It works fine with the y-cable when plugged directly into the CCK.  When you use both the y-cable and a USB hub, that's when things stop working.  I think using both a hub and the y-cable confuse the iPad into thinking it needs to power the BSP.  So problem solved. 

Unfortunately, the reason I use the y-cable is because I want to send the clock out to my modular and doing so introduces an insane amount of noise.  I think I will get an Expert Sleepers FH-2 when they release and just rely on that to convert the MIDI clock from BSP to a modular clock signal.   

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2018, 07:55:08 am »
I think I've figured it out.  It works fine without the ground loop adapter (the y-cable) when using the Audiohub or a powered USB hub. It works fine with the y-cable when plugged directly into the CCK.  When you use both the y-cable and a USB hub, that's when things stop working.  I think using both a hub and the y-cable confuse the iPad into thinking it needs to power the BSP.  So problem solved. 

Unfortunately, the reason I use the y-cable is because I want to send the clock out to my modular and doing so introduces an insane amount of noise.  I think I will get an Expert Sleepers FH-2 when they release and just rely on that to convert the MIDI clock from BSP to a modular clock signal.

Yeah I was experiencing similar issues when I was trying to use a hub so as to not have to keep replugging to change global settings and such.  I ended up just pulling the hub and running direct.  I don't use a computer in my music making or recording, so I only really need to connect to one to programmer controllers, updating firmware (grumble grumble Blofeld firmware grumble grumble, oops wrong forum) and to use MIDI Control Centre.

I've recently started to build a modular.  I'm starting with a drum machine and was planning on using the BSP for a sequencer/MIDI->CV interface...maybe that Pittsburgh Modular MIDI interface that is on special should come to my house?
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »
In Low Power Mode, BSP will lie to the Ipad, saying it needs less than 100mA, otherwise the iPad will refuse the connection (if I remember well).
If you put a hub in between, the hub may say "Ok I have a device needed less than 100mA, but if I have other devices, I will need more, so I will ask for 500mA to the iPad". Something like that I guess.

Regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines