March 29, 2024, 12:58:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sequencer Velocity Question  (Read 2001 times)

SentientMachine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Sequencer Velocity Question
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:04:27 pm »
Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a Matrixbrute, and I can't seem to find any detailed documentation about how the Sequencer records velocity.  Does it record a full 0-127 range of velocities, or does it just reduce it to two values being Accented and Un-Accented?

Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Sequencer Velocity Question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:24 pm »
The sequencer records two levels[1], accented and un-accented, depending on the velocity you strike the key with - I think the threshold is at 64.

When playing back using the Play button, those levels are 127 and 64. When playing back from the keyboard they're 127 and whichever velocity you struck the key with.

[1] I don't know what the sequencer actually records, only what it outputs... :p

SentientMachine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 06:47:10 pm »
Thanks for the reply!

I'm hoping they eventually allow the Sequencer to use a full range of velocities like the comparable Moog and Novation products have. I think the Arturia Minibrute 2 sequencer even does the full velocity range.

New to the forums, so is there any way to formally request this as a feature from Arturia?  Or perhaps someone already has.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:30 pm »
While there is a "MatrixBrute - Feature request" sub forum here, Arturia wants us to create tech support tickets for bug reports and feature requests for the upcoming firmware update. They'll prioritize fixes and additions based in part on how many tickets they get for each. It might still be an idea to create posts or threads in the forum or visibility and discussion.

I agree that full range velocity entry in the sequencer would be good. I've submitted the feature request  "- Hold Accent button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the velocity value for the step." (I.e. using the accented state as variable velocity). Capturing the actual velocity during recording might be useful too.

VAU

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:53 am »
@ Arturia:

on the Elektron board i asked many times for a BREAK function for the RYTM
( i suggested having a break pattern on each of the 12 pads, so you could play live with them)
i got bashed by many users, who said " we do not need this, we got the probability function "

Then Elektron introduced the 1 Break function and all users went nuts how great it was to have.

Roland came up with EIGHT breaks on the new TR8S now...

what i want to say: 

i hope Arturia does NOT decide on number of tickets, but instead decide on how useful a request is.

that said: we need much more patch program banks!

@ SentientMachine: your request is solid!

SentientMachine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 03:56:06 am »
While there is a "MatrixBrute - Feature request" sub forum here, Arturia wants us to create tech support tickets for bug reports and feature requests for the upcoming firmware update. They'll prioritize fixes and additions based in part on how many tickets they get for each. It might still be an idea to create posts or threads in the forum or visibility and discussion.

I agree that full range velocity entry in the sequencer would be good. I've submitted the feature request  "- Hold Accent button while turning the Mod Amount knob to edit the velocity value for the step." (I.e. using the accented state as variable velocity). Capturing the actual velocity during recording might be useful too.

Good to know! By their inclusion of an "Accent" row instead of "Velocity" I'm guessing it's a design decision and maybe they won't add velocity recording/editing... but who knows. I've used the Novation Circuit line a bunch and they honestly do a great job of using the sequencer grid to edit pitch/velocity, and it'd be nice to see the Matrixbrute adopt some similar visual editing abilities.  It certainly has the grid space for it :)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 03:10:38 pm »
By their inclusion of an "Accent" row instead of "Velocity" I'm guessing it's a design decision and maybe they won't add velocity recording/editing... but who knows.
Don't give them reasons for why not to include it :P

I don't think "Accent" as a term/concept should stop it. The unaccented notes would still play at velocity 64 or the key velocity, and any amount of change upwards would from that would still constitute an accent, and then you could go lower than 64 for what is in practice an added Mod lane. The defaults should of course be 127 and 64. I think this feature would be great and "natural".

BTW, I've suggested some more sequencer and arp features previously and just now, and gathered all that in this thread.

@VAU: I trust that Arturia will use their good judgement and not just ticket counts :)

guyaguy

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2018, 04:10:14 am »
Another way to do this is to use the MOD sequencer track. Since it is bi-polar it can actually be even more veried than most velocity-sensitive keyboards.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines