March 28, 2024, 01:00:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MatrixBrute unresponsive, cannot upgrade firmware  (Read 4737 times)

Ikthog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MatrixBrute unresponsive, cannot upgrade firmware
« on: May 25, 2018, 05:37:00 am »
Hello! I'm running into a problem some others have had, but have not found a solution yet. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

My MatrixBrute is unresponsive (LEDs are on, sound pops when turning on and off). I followed the instructions on the site to upgrade the firmware -- launched MCC with the unit off, put the unit into Bootloader mode, downloaded the latest firmware (1.1.0.73), initiated the upgrade. It runs through "Upgrading firmware", then says to turn the unit off and on again and click OK after 5 seconds. I do so, and click OK, and then get the error, "There was an error during the burn process: Update failed." I have run through this process probably 10-15 times, with the same result. I've switched out USB cables, restarted my computer (a Mac running High Sierra), restarted the MCC numerous times, redownloaded the firmware. I've contacted support but just a minute ago, figured I'd try here too.

The unit has been working fine until now, it seems like a software issue. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
Re: MatrixBrute unresponsive, cannot upgrade firmware
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 01:56:08 pm »
Hey,

Sorry you are experiencing those issues.
The synth itself should be alright as you can hear the startup sound.

Try to disconnect the matrix and look into the Audio MIDI Setup of OSX; and delete all greyed out devices referring to Arturia or MatrixBrute (don't worry these are created as soon as you plug a new controller); more on this here :
https://www.arturia.com/faq/installation/firmware-reset-and-detection-of-a-midi-device

After you've made sure the MIDI config is blank, try the procedure described in the FAQ once again, making sure MIDI control center is closed when you first plug in the USB.
If this still does not work, try the inverse (plug it when MCC is open)

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of finding the right order of things; let us know if you can make it work !

Victor

Ikthog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 06:58:54 am »
Thanks for responding. I do feel like it's a software issue, but I'm not sure exactly what the solution is. It always fails immediately at the beginning of the second step, which it says is updating the sub-boards, on https://www.arturia.com/faq/matrixbrute/matrixbrute-general-questions .

Please note that unlike the description on the FAQ page and others in this forum, the LEDs are ON on my unit. The preset number, button A1 in the matrix, the sequencer tempo and buttons and the LFO LEDs are all on. The LFO 2 light is slowly pulsing, as it would if the unit were working. However, the unit is completely non-responsive.

I'm following the steps you listed in another post (and that are on the FAQ page):

-Turn off MatrixBrute
-Plug MatrixBrute USB into the computer
-Launch MIDI Control Center, select MatrixBrute as the device
-Turn on MatrixBrute while doing fast On/Off with the audio gate switch for a while
-After 5 seconds or so MIDI Control Center asks "Device is in Bootloader mode, please upgrade firmware"
-Either selected Device > Upgrade Firmware, or clicked the button next to Firmware Revision
-Select Upgrade (Not Download Latest)
-Selected the downloaded firmware file
-Clicked OK to start – it updates the Master Board
-Turned off the MB (also have tried unplugging it), waited a few seconds, turned it back on, waited several seconds, clicked OK

At this point it fails with the error message "There was an error during the burn process: Update failed."

I have opened the Audio MIDI Setup and MIDI Studio window, and deleted the MatrixBrute and another Updater device when they appeared (I think Updater is how the MB appears when in Bootloader mode), and then run the update process again, with the same results.

I emailed tech support about this, and they also suggested that I try running the update on a Windows machine, "As this issue is not faced on Windows, you should be able to do it without any further complications." However, I had exactly the same results attempting it on Windows.

I'm not using a USB hub, and nothing else is connected to my Mac via USB. I've tried other USB cables.

This covers about all the suggested solutions I've seen posted anywhere, but I'm hoping there are other ideas for something I'm not doing! =)

endreola

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:20 am »
A common issue observed with downloading software in general is to ensure that all anti-virus, malware, and the like is disabled beforehand.  If your system is running it then try disabling that first then re-download the MB firmware.  You may want to delete the other version first or download image to a new folder.

Then retry the upgrade process.  Afterwards, successful or not, you can check the firmware versions installed on main board and sub-boards https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92706.0.  The versions should match those listed in the post.

Hope this help.

Dean
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:21:49 am by endreola »

Ikthog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 06:56:31 pm »
Anti-virus software shouldn't be an issue in this case. I've downloaded it a few times for good measure, and the files appear to be the same. Good tip on the ability to check the firmware version on every sub-board! Unfortunately, the entire front panel is non-responsive, so I can't check it in that way (I was hoping there would be some way to verify it, the only thing MCC has said so far is that the firmware version is "unknown"). Thanks for the suggestions.

Jimger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Jimger Soundcloud page
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 09:39:59 pm »
Hi,

I am having the exact same issue.

I have tried all the things mentioned several times.

Matrix brute is completely unresponsive.  LED's are on and several lights.

Tempo/sequencer is on 141.0.
Preset says A01

No sound, nothing.

It happened when using the Midi Control Centre to move presets.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Jimmy

Jimger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Jimger Soundcloud page
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 11:19:04 pm »
Ok...

Updated... but still no joy!

If I wait the 5 seconds when asked, like BANG ON the 5 seconds then press 'ok' it continues with the update and says it's completed without issue.

It asks me to reboot then press ok.

I reboot...

I press ok...

and nothing has changed!  Lights are on but still unresponsive.

I've messaged support and I'll put any outcome on here.

Cheers,

Jimmy

Jimger

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • Jimger Soundcloud page
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 10:08:53 am »
Okie-do-keee!

I seem to have gotten my Matrixbrute back from the dead.

After following the advice here around a hundred times I thought I'd try pressing the Panel button repeatedly during boot assuming that this may trip it into straight forward Analog mode.

Well, it worked.  I could play the synth.  I pressed panel again but the digital part was still not working, totally unresponsive and I couldn't switch back to Panel/analog mode.

So I booted again and did the Panel button repeatedly on boot.

While in Analog/Panel mode I had access to all the buttons, knobs, keys etc...  so I checked all the firmware which all said it was up to date.

I went into Mod.  Initially this wasn't responding as it usually does.  I'd press a button, it would turn pink.  I press another button, the last one goes off the new one goes pink.

I moved to the Seq, the was working as it should.  I moved a few bits and bobs then went back to Mod.

This was now working as it should.  I patched the whole dam thing, assuming that the patch bay relies on digital processing and assuming that there was an underlying issue with this. All lights blue with a little level on most.  Also patched the M1-4.

I went to the Midi-Control Centre.  For the first time since it stopped working Matrixbrute's matrix was showing as connected.

I turned it off and on.  Still worked.

I did a 'normal' firmware update, i.e. not 'Bootloader'...  this is where it had consistently failed previously.

It worked!

My Matrixbrute is once again fully functional!

I'm not sure what I did really or why it worked, but my tinkering paid off.  I hope this might help anyone else who has this problem!

Jimmy

wrs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 03:28:55 am »
 :o The exact same thing happened to me -- I dragged a preset from MB to Computer in the Control Center and the app beachballed. Every time I turned on the MB after that, it looked fine but was totally nonresponsive and Control Center wouldn't connect to it.

Jimger's technique worked to get it talking again, but even after a firmware upgrade, the MB wouldn't turn on successfully without doing the Panel button trick. I had to drag a preset over in the Control Center to replace A01 before the MB would survive a power-on.

My guess is the A01 preset was somehow corrupted by the original Control Center problem so that it killed the internal controller when it was loaded (which, being A01, is every time the MB turns on).

So if (when!) this happens to someone else, first try just using the Panel button trick to get the MB to power on successfully and then replacing the A01 preset with the Control Center. The firmware update step may not actually be necessary.

Anyway, THANK YOU Jimger for the brilliant Panel button idea, without which this would have been a disaster.

And Arturia -- seems like you should beef up the integrity checking on those stored presets, and fix the bug that lets Control Center corrupt them in the first place!

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:57:36 am »
Hey Guys.

I'd like to try to figure if there is a common factor between your setups, this may potentially underline the culprit of the issue.
Would it be possible to describe your setup?

The best would be to create a support ticket here: www.arturia.com/support/askforhelp

Then provide us with the following info:

- What is your OS precise version?
- The precise model of your PC / MAC
- Your Midi Control Center version
- If you already recalled / uploaded patches using the Midi Control Center?
- Any other info that could be useful.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the inconvenience.

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Ikthog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 05:27:30 am »
I wish I had come across Jimger's posts sooner (he also PMed me around the same time), as what you guys are both describing is almost certainly what happened to me! I didn't recall it at the time, but in fact my MB went south after I attempted to transfer presets from the device to the computer via the MCC. The MCC hung and I had to force quit. The MB didn't become unresponsive immediately, I don't believe, I think it continued working for a bit, but became unresponsive soon after (possibly when I switched it off and then back on the next day). This would make sense if the loading of a corrupted preset was the cause, as WRS suggests. I wasn't actually aware of the trick of booting into analog mode with the Panel button, so I didn't try it, but it might have worked.

Arturia customer service had no advice beyond the same sequence described earlier in this thread, so they had me ship them the unit for repairs (kind of a sad state of affairs when they have to pay to ship a heavy synth cross-country and back to perform a firmware update). I asked what they did, and the customer service rep said: "The issue was actually firmware related, there was a specific process to follow in order to be able to unstuck the unit including re loading the factory presets and re update the firmware."

I'll have the MatrixBrute back tomorrow, and I assume it will be working fine. I'm a bit nervous about touching the presets via the MCC now, but perhaps the technique you guys described below will help. Thanks for your sleuthing!

wrs

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 12:31:59 am »
It turns out I had another copy of the "killer patch" on the MB, so I exported it and sent it to Arturia in a reply to my ticket.

I am now wary of dragging patches to A01 in the Control Center! :/

kungfupanda255

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 07:31:32 am »
Thank you Jimger, ikthog and wrs!

I encountered the exact same issue too: Using MCC, doing a "Recall to Computer" caused MCC to beachball and as noted, looks like it corrupted patch A01.I then tried to do the 1.1.0 firmware upgrade and constantly got the "firmware update failed error" and the MB was bricked. Using Jiminger's "panel mode" allowed me to connect again using MCC and copying over the A01 patch from computer to MB restored it.  Is this "panel mode" documented anywhere? This caused many hours of frustration as it looks like the issue is with the firmware upgrade vs MCC causing corruption when crashing.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines