March 29, 2024, 02:37:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep & Beatstep Pro Chained issues  (Read 1851 times)

acorsaro

Keystep & Beatstep Pro Chained issues
« on: May 18, 2018, 08:05:11 pm »
I've checked some of the other posts related to my problems, but still haven't found out a solution. Hopefully someone can help.

SETUP: Keystep > BSP > System-1 > SE-02 > Volca FM

My goal is to use the Keystep to program sequences into the BSP to send to the SE-02 and Volca, while still being able to use the Keystep to perform on top of the sequence being sent to the Volca (BSP sending mono sequence, Keystep playing notes/chords on the other voices of the Volca).

I bought a couple midi splitter cables to try and route some of the midi information to where I want it to go, but after it's all plugged up how I think it should work, the sequencer atom bombs itself and starts playing notes on all the sequenced instruments across all octaves/out of sequence. Let me try and break the cabling down...

This is the way that works across the board, but no poly performance on Volca.
Keystep - OUT to BSP IN
BSP - OUT to System-1 IN
System-1 - OUT to SE-02 IN
SE-02 - OUT to Volca IN

This following way, I assumed would enable poly performance on Volca (since the Keystep both sends to and bypasses the BSP), but it fails miserably.
Keystep - OUT SPLIT to BSP IN & System-1 IN SPLIT
BSP - OUT to System-1 IN SPLIT
System-1 - OUT to SE-02 IN
SE-02 - OUT to Volca

Does anyone have an idea why this wouldn't work? Do I need a merger or thru box? All of these instruments have MIDI THRU enabled.

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I have poly mode enabled on the Volca.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 08:09:14 pm by acorsaro »

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Keystep & Beatstep Pro Chained issues
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 03:28:20 am »
All of these instruments have MIDI THRU enabled.

Except one, the BSP.  It has no THRU.  You need to sit it at the beginning of the chain or merge it into the MIDI feed with a merger.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines