March 29, 2024, 02:03:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Question on MIDI- assigning knobs in Studio One  (Read 3007 times)

Noble1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Question on MIDI- assigning knobs in Studio One
« on: May 12, 2018, 05:18:27 pm »
Everything works great except that I do not understand how to control a synth with the BeatStep Pro.

For example, I go to control mode and select CC. That is fine. When I right click a synth button and press MIDI learn, and turn a knob on the beat step, nothing maps.
I have Arturia plugins and press the MIDI button, everything turns purple but I can't choose a knob to assign to the synth.

Everything else works, for example faders when i switch to MCU mode. I can make music as well in seq1 and 2 and drum mode. The knobs are all mapped and recognized in S1 as well. They just say encoder1-16.

Just can't seem to quickly map a knob to a VSTI knob or mod wheel. Can someone assist?

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: Question on MIDI- assigning knobs in Studio One
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 11:44:45 am »
Hi Noble1,
Just a stupid question: did you put BSP in Control Mode?

Regards,
Y.

Noble1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:46:08 am »
Hi Noble1,
Just a stupid question: did you put BSP in Control Mode?

Regards,
Y.

Hi, yes. Sorry I should have clarified that I have. I am able to move the faders in MCU mode, and CC mode works in terms of MIDI signal being sent to the DAW. I just can't quickly do a MIDI learn to a knob in CC mode. Driving me crazy because I feel like I am missing something obvious.

Noble1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:13 am »
Nothing?

LBH

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 05:19:49 am »
I have Studio One 3.
1. I don't know about Beatstep or if it can be used as a MIDI controller for synths at all. Can it? If it can, then

2. Does MIDI learn work when you for example use an Arturia application in standalone mode? (And are the parameters you wan't to assign a control avaible for normal MIDI learn?)

The knobs are all mapped and recognized in S1 as well.
3. Does this mean that you have mapped the Beatstep device setup you use for Studio Ones Control Link that's Studio ones form for MIDI learn? If so, then normal MIDI learn does'nt work in the DAW, when using that device setup.

Studio Ones Control Link make more things possible. It can be used no matter you have a controller mapped for it or not and it's easy to use. The mapping expand the functionality.
4. Have you tried to assign your controls using Studio Ones Control Link?

I don't know if this helps. But it might. I can only suggest you look into it. As i don't know about Beatstep, then i can't do more.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:02:55 pm »
I forgot. Also be sure, that you in Studio Ones external device setup have'nt filteret out functionality. Filter checkboxes filter out the functionality, if they have been checked.

Noble1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 03:43:15 am »
I have Studio One 3.
1. I don't know about Beatstep or if it can be used as a MIDI controller for synths at all. Can it? If it can, then

2. Does MIDI learn work when you for example use an Arturia application in standalone mode? (And are the parameters you wan't to assign a control avaible for normal MIDI learn?)

The knobs are all mapped and recognized in S1 as well.
3. Does this mean that you have mapped the Beatstep device setup you use for Studio Ones Control Link that's Studio ones form for MIDI learn? If so, then normal MIDI learn does'nt work in the DAW, when using that device setup.

Studio Ones Control Link make more things possible. It can be used no matter you have a controller mapped for it or not and it's easy to use. The mapping expand the functionality.
4. Have you tried to assign your controls using Studio Ones Control Link?

I don't know if this helps. But it might. I can only suggest you look into it. As i don't know about Beatstep, then i can't do more.

I need to install some standalone synths. I dont have any of mine installed as stand alone right now.

I have not used the control link before. Trying to figure out how to do that actually. I think that is my main issue and I was looking to see if anyone here has experience doing it.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 06:50:17 pm »
I need to install some standalone synths. I dont have any of mine installed as stand alone right now.
Standalones of Arturias V-Collection applications are installed by default.

I have not used the control link before. Trying to figure out how to do that actually. I think that is my main issue and I was looking to see if anyone here has experience doing it.
If you don't know about Control Link, then i assume you have'nt your controller mapped for Control Link, as that's not the same as setting the controller up as an external device for Studio One. If so then you should be able to use normal MIDI learn, provided Beatstep Pro can be used to control synths this way. Again - can it?

You have your controller setup in Studio One. Can you please post a screenshot of the external device setup window for your Beatstep Pro in Studio One?

(I can add, that there are many tutorials on the web about using Studio One Control Link. And there is a manual.  I suggest you start there, if you need to learn more about it. Everything take some time to learn. That's normal.)

Noble1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:40:56 pm »
Standalones of Arturias V-Collection applications are installed by default.

If you don't know about Control Link, then i assume you have'nt your controller mapped for Control Link, as that's not the same as setting the controller up as an external device for Studio One. If so then you should be able to use normal MIDI learn, provided Beatstep Pro can be used to control synths this way. Again - can it?

You have your controller setup in Studio One. Can you please post a screenshot of the external device setup window for your Beatstep Pro in Studio One?

(I can add, that there are many tutorials on the web about using Studio One Control Link. And there is a manual.  I suggest you start there, if you need to learn more about it. Everything take some time to learn. That's normal.)

Ok, I found the standalone Arturia folder, fired it up, hit MIDI learn and in control mode I was able to map a knob to the Attack knob in 2 seconds.

So yes, the BSP does do what I am looking for it to do.

As for the setup in studio one, I do not think that is an issue. Everything else works, I can program drums, play keys (VSTis),control faders in the mixer and slave to S1 so the BSP is in sync with it.

Sounds like I need to study the S1 control Link. I honestly thought I could just do what I just did with the standalone Arturia synth, but apparently it is a little more complex than that.

LBH

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:12:47 pm »
As for the setup in studio one, I do not think that is an issue. Everything else works, I can program drums, play keys (VSTis),control faders in the mixer and slave to S1 so the BSP is in sync with it.
How is the MIDI filter options in the set-up? Checked or unchecked? As said, they should be unchecked. Your issue can be becasuse you have filtered out MIDI functionality in the set-up - meaning you have checked some checkboxes.

Sounds like I need to study the S1 control Link. I honestly thought I could just do what I just did with the standalone Arturia synth, but apparently it is a little more complex than that.
Control link can add functionality. But you can do as easy as with the standalone versions - and use normal MIDI learn. But as said -  it depend on your different setups.

EDIT: BTW: If you only have setup beatstep as a hui/ mcu controller in Studio One, then you can't control synths. You also need to set it up as a new keyboard or something like that. The point is you need to set it up twice. Have you done that? EDIT END
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 10:10:57 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines