March 28, 2024, 11:11:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mapped Drum Pads on Beatstep Pro also are triggering KeyLab Synth on Seq 1?  (Read 1675 times)

mmryspace

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi,

I am new to both the KeyLab 49 and the BeatStep Pro and I am running into an issue where the mapped drum pads also trigger the KeyLab soft synth I am using on Seq 1. I am trying to figure out how to have only mapped drum pads sound when I am sequencing the Drum portion of the BSP.

Here is my set up:

I have the DR-770 Drum Machine and KeyLab 49 MIDI INs connected to BSP's MIDI Out via a stereo TRS splitter.

BSP sync is set to INT

I have MIDI mapped an 808 kit from my Boss DR-770 to a project on the BSP. The DR-770 is on MIDI channel 10 and the Drum Sequencer on the BSP is set to Channel 10.

The SEQ 1 channel is set to 1 and triggers the KeyLab 49 running an Arturia V Collection synth
The SEQ 2 channel is set to 2 and triggers the KeyLab 49 running an Arturia V Collection synth

Is the KeyLab sharing channel 10 and that is why when I hit the Drum Pads on the BSP it also triggers the KeyLab?
I have not configured any MIDI channels on the KeyLab.

Or is it the stereo split MIDI connections for MIDI out on BSP causing the issue?

Any advice on how to resolve this issue would be great! Thanks!

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Hi mmryspace,
I have the DR-770 Drum Machine and KeyLab 49 MIDI INs connected to BSP's MIDI Out via a stereo TRS splitter.
Even if a lot of people seems to do this, I do not recommend to use TRS splitters for MIDI connections. The TRS MIDI signal output is not made for being splitted (the signal may become too weak). It may lead to issues (missing notes, synchro glitches...).

The SEQ 1 channel is set to 1 and triggers the KeyLab 49 running an Arturia V Collection synth
The SEQ 2 channel is set to 2 and triggers the KeyLab 49 running an Arturia V Collection synth
I am not an expert about KeyLab 49 but I do not understand this concept. KeyLab 49 is a Master Keyboard, IMHO, it is not intended to be triggered but to trigger. Maybe the KeyLab does a MIDI through of what it receives from its MIDI In to its MIDI Out (I have to check). If it is the case, why should it transfer information about channel 1 and channel 2 but not channel 10? To me, this is very normal. You should set Arturia V Collection synth to only receive on the right channel.

Regards,
Y.

mmryspace

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi mmryspace,
Even if a lot of people seems to do this, I do not recommend to use TRS splitters for MIDI connections. The TRS MIDI signal output is not made for being splitted (the signal may become too weak). It may lead to issues (missing notes, synchro glitches...).

I am not an expert about KeyLab 49 but I do not understand this concept. KeyLab 49 is a Master Keyboard, IMHO, it is not intended to be triggered but to trigger. Maybe the KeyLab does a MIDI through of what it receives from its MIDI In to its MIDI Out (I have to check). If it is the case, why should it transfer information about channel 1 and channel 2 but not channel 10? To me, this is very normal. You should set Arturia V Collection synth to only receive on the right channel.

Regards,
Y.

Thank you for the insight on the MIDI splitter. I will take that into consideration. Do you have any suggestions on how to utilize the V Collection by only using the BSP and the drum machine I mentioned? I don't necessarily need to use the KeyLab, just want to sequence the V Collection synths.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
  • Are you using the V Collection synths stand alone or inside a DAW or some host?
  • Are you on Mac or PC?
  • Are you using a single synth for Seq 1 and 2 or two synths (or more)?

The answer depends of that.
  • If you are using it in a stand alone mode, you can receive all midi channels or only one channel. (in the bottom of the instrument window, it is written "MIDI ch All". Change "All" to match your channel). If you are using a host or a DAW, the procedure is different, depending of the DAW
  • If you are working on a Mac, you can open as much as synth your computer can handle. The MIDI driver will be shared by all the instruments (Multi-Client). On a PC, you will only be able to use one instrument with a MIDI driver. If you want two instruments, you can use MIDI DIN (TRS) for one and USB for the other one
  • If you are using the same synth for Seq 1 and Seq 2, just put them on the same channel on the BSP (let's say channel 1)

Hope this is quite clear.

About splitting the MIDI signal, I just want to precise:
I do not say it will definitely not work.
It may work for some people. It may not for others. Some people states it works when splitting it twice (two MIDI signals) but do not work when splitting it three times (three MIDI signals). It also depends on the MIDI gears used and the cables quality and length. It may seem to work like a charm and drop a single MIDI message from time to time (parity error for instance), once in 10 minutes for instance.
I am just saying: "use it at your own risk"

Regards,
Y.

mmryspace

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Are you using the V Collection synths stand alone or inside a DAW or some host?
  • Are you on Mac or PC?
  • Are you using a single synth for Seq 1 and 2 or two synths (or more)?

The answer depends of that.
  • If you are using it in a stand alone mode, you can receive all midi channels or only one channel. (in the bottom of the instrument window, it is written "MIDI ch All". Change "All" to match your channel). If you are using a host or a DAW, the procedure is different, depending of the DAW
  • If you are working on a Mac, you can open as much as synth your computer can handle. The MIDI driver will be shared by all the instruments (Multi-Client). On a PC, you will only be able to use one instrument with a MIDI driver. If you want two instruments, you can use MIDI DIN (TRS) for one and USB for the other one
  • If you are using the same synth for Seq 1 and Seq 2, just put them on the same channel on the BSP (let's say channel 1)

Hope this is quite clear.

About splitting the MIDI signal, I just want to precise:
I do not say it will definitely not work.
It may work for some people. It may not for others. Some people states it works when splitting it twice (two MIDI signals) but do not work when splitting it three times (three MIDI signals). It also depends on the MIDI gears used and the cables quality and length. It may seem to work like a charm and drop a single MIDI message from time to time (parity error for instance), once in 10 minutes for instance.
I am just saying: "use it at your own risk"

Regards,
Y.

Thanks so much for this info:

I am on a Mac and I could use either option: stand alone or DAW (Logic Pro X) - I am going to try both to see what best suits my needs. For now, just one soft synth but I may try two in the future. This is very helpful!

And regarding the splitter, I appreciate the caution. I am only splitting two signals but I will certainly watch out for potential issues. Would definitely not try this in a mission critical or live set up but for now it is all I have got. Thanks again!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines