March 28, 2024, 06:49:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Logic Pro X and keystep  (Read 564023 times)

A_Mas

Logic Pro X and keystep
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:51:51 am »
I’m desperately trying to have my new Keystep work with Logic Pro X. It is currently simply hooked via USB and I set the switch for the clock to USB but the arp/seq doesn’t seem to work. Also the Mod wheel send a CC mb bank 1 rather than modulation.
I think it should be related to the way midi is received but I can’t make it work.
Can anyone point me to some resources/solution?

Zab

• Apprentice
Re: Logic Pro X and keystep
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2019, 09:11:20 pm »
I have a similar issue. Keystep keyboard notes are working via USB in Logic Pro X, however the transport buttons are not. Did you figure it out yet?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:25:18 pm »
The KeyStep doesn't have transport controls as such. They don't as far as I can tell generate the usual cc signals. They start and stop the KeyStep's sequencer or arpeggio. I have also tried to find a way to have them start/stop Logic but I have never succeeded.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Zab

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2019, 07:22:10 pm »
These instructions assume the following: (a) Keystep rear switches - USB, (b) Keystep connected to Mac via USB cable, (c) Logic Pro X (LPX) (Version 10.4.8.).

1. On Mac, open Arturia Midi Control Center (free download from Arturia’s website) , use standard settings and under Transport Settings at the bottom, ensure Play/Pause is set to "Reset" and that Transport Mode is set to "MIDI CC." (MIDI Continuous Controller). Each knob, button, fader, etc. on the Keystep (or any controller for that matter) can potentially be programmed to control a DAW function. This enhances the workflow by reducing the functions that have to be accessed via two or more devices (e.g., controller, DAW, iPad, etc.).

2. Open Logic Pro X (LPX) ⟶ LPX (top left menu) ⟶ Key Commands ⟶ Edit (shortcut: option + k) ⟶ highlight "Pressed" in top menu ⟶ highlight "Record" under Global Commands ⟶ select "Learn New Assignment" under Assignments (lower right of window) ⟶ push Keystep’s Record (append) button. (You should now see information in the Assignments window (e.g., Control Change Ch 1, 50, 127: Learned). If not, delete the assignment in the Assignments window and start over.

3. Repeat the steps in 2. above for Play and Stop in LPX and on the Keystep.

4. The transport controls for Record, Play, and Stop on the Keystep should now control the same in LPX via the MIDI CCs.

5. In LPX, select File (top menu) ⟶ Project Settings ⟶ Synchronization ... ⟶ Midi ⟶ Under "Destination" select "Arturia Keystep 32" ⟶ ensure "Clock” is NOT selected.

6. There are other ways to do this. For example, Midi Machine Control (MMC) can also be used, but I find the controls do not behave exactly like within LPX without a controller (e.g., the way the stop button stops first, then resets. And the way the play button resets when pressed).

7. To try this method: In step 1. above, select MMC or BOTH instead of MIDI CC. Then, In LPX, select File (top menu) ⟶ Project Settings ⟶ Synchronization ... ⟶ Midi ⟶ Select “Listen for MIDI Machine Control (MMC)" ⟶ Under "Destination" select "Arturia Keystep 32" ⟶ ensure "Clock” is NOT selected.

8. Be advised that the above setup will not allow the use of Keystep's built-in sequencer and Arp because when the rear switches are set to USB the Keystep is in "Slave" mode in terms of the clock (please correct me if I am wrong on this because I have not tested this function).

9. Please let me know if this works for you. Good luck!

Zab
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:56:51 am by Zab »

Zab

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 07:34:18 pm »
I’m desperately trying to have my new Keystep work with Logic Pro X. It is currently simply hooked via USB and I set the switch for the clock to USB but the arp/seq doesn’t seem to work. Also the Mod wheel send a CC mb bank 1 rather than modulation.
I think it should be related to the way midi is received but I can’t make it work.
Can anyone point me to some resources/solution?
To answer your question, specifically, change the Keystep's rear switches to Internal. This makes the Keystep the Master in terms of the clock. Then try playing around with the LPX settings in File, Project Settings, Synchronization menu, like Sync Mode (under the General tab), Check the "Auto-enable External Sync and Tap Tempo" box? Midi Tab, Transmit MMC ... Listen to MMC? Click the "MMC" box under Destinations. Sometimes you just have to keep experimenting and researching until you find a solution. If you find a solution — or already have — please share.

I hope this helps.

Zab
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 07:40:26 pm by Zab »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines