March 28, 2024, 05:02:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Deleting internal Prophet V3 automation in Pro Tools 12  (Read 3543 times)

Yansi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Deleting internal Prophet V3 automation in Pro Tools 12
« on: January 12, 2018, 03:16:24 pm »
Hello! I guess this is applicable to other plugins, but I've been using this particular one when I've encountered a small issue. Basically, whenever I write automation (internal one, not the host one) using controllers on my midi-keyboard, eventually if I don't like how it turned out the only way it seems to get rid of it is to completely rewrite automation in another go, or create another instrument track and transfer plugin and midi tracks onto it. (and sometimes it seems automation even stick to those) Obviously, when I do automation at any point like this I lose the initial sound, because all values default to automation values during playback and cannot be changed anymore. There's a function in PT that deletes plugin automation (as it states, anyway), but it doesn't help in this case, I think, Please let me know, if there's a way to solve it somehow, thank you!

LBH

Re: Deleting internal Prophet V3 automation in Pro Tools 12
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 05:21:24 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Sorry but what excactly do you mean by internal automation? And what do you mean by write automation? Can you please give an example? Which parameters do you automate and how?
Are you sure this is'nt about Pro Tools automation only?

Basicly your DAW can record automation - for example when you move a knob that control an active automation parameter, or you can write automation into your DAW.

I don't use Pro Tools, so i don't know how automation work there.

Yansi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
Hi! I've been writing Cutoff Filter and Modulation Wheel automation while producing a track. I've assigned certain rotary knobs on my controller to these parameters and manipulated them in "write" mode. Doing it this way doesn't leave any visible imprint in the host so I assume it "saves" somewhere within the plugin itself. I know there's another way to write automation in PT ("painting" it manually), but it wouldn't let me utilize the controller and write it "live".  :-\

edit: I might try to document an experiment to show what I mean if this isn't sufficient
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:06:20 pm by Yansi »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 06:19:47 pm »
This sound like a DAW topic.
Plug-ins don't save this automation. The DAW does.  I suggest you ask in Pro Tools forum.

Yansi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 06:58:26 pm »
I wasn't aware plugins can't save it in their own settings, so at least that solves one possible issue. Thank you, I'll try to look more into it, and will ask guys on PT forums if all fails. Loving Arturia emulations, btw!

Yansi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 07:24:36 pm »
Yea, I just tried and think I got it. PT just stores this information a bit out of reach as Undefined parameter with MIDI CC number next to it. Not sure why, but at least this solves my problem.

Here's a screenshot that shows it:

LBH

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:36 pm »
Good.
Yes it usually works something like that in DAWs.
I suggest you read about Pro Tools automation.

Also there is some plug-ins that internally can record or automate parameter movements in their presets, but that's not the kind of automation we talk about here.

In Prophet VS you have the joystick feature that internally can have movements automated. But in this case we talk about something else.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 12:11:07 am by LBH »

Yansi

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 10:20:59 am »
Just to make it clear why there was a problem for me:

I assigned knob with MIDI CC number 3 to Cutoff Filter. Below the instrument track is the automation track of Cutoff Filter parameter. (and it's empty) And below it is the MIDI CC 3 track which has to be added manually, otherwise I wouldn't know automation stores there. It's just conventionally this info stores on the parameter track itself, and why I got confused at first.  ;D But it's all good now

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines