March 29, 2024, 12:11:28 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Mod Wheel via MIDI  (Read 7203 times)

RadicalAns

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Mod Wheel via MIDI
« on: April 19, 2018, 05:16:06 pm »
Is there a way to map MIDI mod wheel messages to one of the mod outputs in the patch bay? I'd love to voltage control stuff in my patch via mod wheel.

zedius

Re: Mod Wheel via MIDI
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 07:54:27 pm »
It looks like there is a separate Minibrute 2 forum and they may have a different answer, but can you not simply patch the mod output to the CV item you want to control? Do you need MIDI for this?

Predator

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 07:55:47 pm »
Got the same question..

Yes I do need midi for this, let's say I want to use my ModWheel in my DAW or via Midi Keyboard to controll the Cutoff.. is there any way to do this? The Key version has the ModWheel routed to the cutoff by default, why isn't this the same with the S version?

Moho

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 02:25:48 am »
Have you tried MIDOX if I remember correctly it can convert CC#'s to aftertouch.
You may have to turn aftertouch off on the S using the midi control center  so as not to get two lots of aftertouch being sent.
Fair warning setting up MIDOX can be a PITA, there are also hardware solutions but they can be hard to find / pricey.
Personally I'd just twist the cutoff knob for live use and draw an aftertouch track when using a DAW.
Hope this helps. 

Predator

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:43:48 am »
Thanks for the reply :)

My MW CC is set to #1 (as by default) Checked in the Midi Center. But the MW isn't controlling anything on the MB 2S by default, that's a bit strange.

Hope Arturia will fix it with a firmware update, if they could only add the MW to the Mod1 & Mod2 source it would be great, then you can use the MW also to control a lot of other values and open up more modulation options :) Or If they route it like the Keys verion to the CF
then combining aftertouch and the MW to control the Cutoff would be great. You can make a pattern with the AT and use the MW for the amount and record this in your DAW.

Of course you can do a lot of live stuff and use the cutoff knob, but I use my synths a lot in my DAW and recording the MW CC can help to do some crazy stuff that you can't do by hand.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 12:07:00 pm »
Hey,

Good suggestion ! I logged it on our side as a customer request, agree it would be cool.

Victor

Moho

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 03:28:08 pm »
I made a simple utility to convert modwheel to aftertouch
Just three settings IN from keyboard  OUT to 2S and CHANNEL of your 2S

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2hv6qcgwlxae24h/Mod_Wheel_To_Aftertouch.zip

Hope it helps

geebake

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:51:21 pm »
Moho,

Can you explain how this works? I see that it's an exe. What exactly does it do? Converting incoming mod wheel to after touch would be great. Does this require a PC to be connected to the controller and the MB2S?

Thanks!

Moho

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:52:18 am »
Yes you need a computer, when you launch you will see

just click the midi in and choose from the drop down menu the keyboard attached to the computer
then click the midi out and choose the minibrute
then click out channel and choose which channel the brute is on.

and that's it any mod wheel from the midi in is transmitted as aftertouch to the midi out.
This is assuming the keyboard and the minibrute are both connected to the computer by usb, as I haven't tested it with other midi interfaces.

Sikdrumz

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2020, 12:36:04 pm »
Hey,

Good suggestion ! I logged it on our side as a customer request, agree it would be cool.

Victor

Just got my Minibrute 2s, and on day 3 ended up on this thread! Has there been any movement toward allowing Mod Wheel as a Mod 1/2 input for the patch bay outputs?

Delighted with the synth by the way!  ; ;D

psienide

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:44 am »
Sorry, but the MB2 is dead to Arturia.

Predator

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 04:29:20 pm »
After so many years no update on this ModWheel request and other requests... why Arturia? After sales or listening to your audience and costumers isn't a bad thing! A bit more support and firmware updating will only make your products last longer.. or isn't that what your are after... rather drop a MiniBrute 3s ? Sorry, I don't wanna sound negative, but it's just sad nothing happens for such a long time and users request things not for nothing.

Sikdrumz

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2021, 03:48:19 pm »
OK, I'm checking back in here to help anyone else who comes looking for Minibrute 2s Mod Wheel advice.

First things first: there is no Mod Wheel control as part of the 2s. It exists as part of the Minibrute 2 (the one with the keyboard) but not the 2s with the sequencer. I guess the thinking is that the mod wheel is a performance tool if you are 'playing' the synth, whereas 'sequencing' is a different style of use.

It WOULD be cool if it was added, but that looks unlikely, so I'm posting what I've learned:

1) You can use the Attenuator knobs in lieu of a mod wheel to add in modulation. This isn't as intuitive or comfortable, but it's your best bet for live playing.

2) You can use the 'VCA' section of the patch bay to create your own attenuation. So you can feed say, LFO 1 into the VCA 'In 1' jack, and then use the 'CV' jack to attenuate the LFO signal at the 'VCA Out' jack.

What this means in practice is that you can use any mod source (ie Envelope, LFO etc.) to govern the attenuation via the VCA. So say you want to add vibrato to longer notes, you can use a long ADSR Attack or a re-triggered ramp up LFO 2 to bring in vibrato from LFO 1.

NB from a DAW you can send 'Channel Pressure' as a Midi message and this will appear at the MIDI section 'Press' jack as a control voltage. You can then use the Pressure CV to attenuate the VCA, so you can program the equivalent of Mod Wheel use via your midi clips.

It's not ideal, but hope this helps someone out there.

(PS: if you're really fancy you can use the sequencer envelope attack as a VCA CV controller to bring in attenuation within a 2s sequence...)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 03:52:34 pm by Sikdrumz »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines