March 29, 2024, 02:26:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Switching patterns via MIDI?  (Read 2075 times)

technomind

• Apprentice
Switching patterns via MIDI?
« on: May 13, 2019, 12:46:13 pm »
I´m not an octopus but want to use multiple MB2S or a combo of MB2S and BSP (see other forum, same question).  Can you switch patterns via MIDI messages, so for example assign patterns to MIDI notes or Program Changes?

nijoho

Re: Switching patterns via MIDI?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 10:42:34 am »
I don't believe this is possible. I've scoured the manual looking for any mention of this, and also monitored the midi output of the 2S (nothing sent on pattern change), and also just tried sending patch changes messages - nothing.

Of course, I don't want to tell you don't need this, but for me at least, I found it was one of those "creative limitations" that pushed me to work a little differently. Using the features of the sequencer to get more out of the patterns is fun and keeps things spontaneous. And ultimately, if I want to have more orchestration over multiple sequences on multiple devices, I just capture the midi back to Ableton Live clips and handle it there - but I didn't buy a hands-on monosynth to use it as a hands-off sound module.

Regards,
Nick.

technomind

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 03:24:47 pm »
Hi Nick,

thanks for confirming!

I run multiple mono synths plus drum machines, so having kind of a "master switch" would be helpful if you still want to play with things on the hardware level (like editing 2S patterns which is lots of fun). The idea is to have an Ableton like workflow, creating song structures on the fly from a central point, but still be able to work with the different machine interfaces.

"Bouncing" to Ableton is, well, a bit restrictive, reminds me of the days when we had 4 or 8 tracks :D. Also, when sequencing things from Ableton, the MIDI bus may get clogged, especially with parameter animation. I´d much rather have MMC/MC only on the cable with an occasinal Program Change for pattern switching.  So yeah, it´s an option, but not a great one.

Regarding the hands on, I´m very much in your camp. Problem is, with a few machines I´m running out of arms, can´t be everywhere. So while working on the sound of the 2S, I want to switch patterns and the rest of the machines should follow. Maybe I´m fiddling with the sound of the drums next, then 2S should be able to follow a pattern change. Kind of wearing different hats, a synth solo here, some drum modulation there and then working the bass. Think of a launchpad to call scenes, so you get your hands free for sound sculpting. You could even build 64+ step sequences that way, if the pattern changes themselves could be sequenced.

I will put something in the feature request zone, maybe we get lucky :)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 03:07:13 pm »
Hi ,
I requested program change a a feature some time ago. I will ask the team again if its possible.
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

technomind

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:06 pm »
Top, it´s also attached to one of my support tickets. If it´s added to the firmware- instabuy x2. Keeping my fingers crossed.

mr_karlos

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2019, 08:43:29 pm »
I was surprised to find that the Sequencer didn't responed to the bank change and program change messages that the DrumBrutes and BeatStep do.

https://www.arturia.com/faq/drumbrute/drumbrute-general-questions

Hopefully it isn't a major change and it may appear in a Firmware update.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines