March 28, 2024, 08:56:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Out Of Tune  (Read 4295 times)

Bob_R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Out Of Tune
« on: October 07, 2017, 06:46:28 am »
Hi all
I am new here have just got my new Matrix Brute, it's a great synth but I find when I first turn it on it is out of tune and I have to use the fine tune knob to get it right. After a while it seems to revert back to being in tune and I have to reset the fine tune! is this normal?   

Thanks

Bob
Gear: MatrixBrute, MicroBrute, Korg Kronos 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ableton live 9, Drum Beat, Lexicon MX200, Strymon Big Sky and Mackie Onyx 1620 Mixer plus other bits and pieces

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Out Of Tune
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 12:12:11 pm »
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The MxB's analogue VCOs need to warm up before they stabilize. Give it 15 minutes or so. When it's warmed up it should be in tune.

You may want to run the auto tuning procedure by pressing Panel + Kbd Track [1] as part of "breaking in" the synth. I recommend doing this when the synth is properly warmed up, say after half an hour. The auto tune does not need to be run often after that - only if you hear that it's out of tune after being warmed up.

[1] You must leave the synth alone until the auto tune procedure has completed. I'm not sure how long that takes - make a cup of tea, and it is ready for sure (Arturia: how long does it take, is it only for as long as the display indicates that auto tune is running on the latest firmware 1.1.0. 73 ?)

Edit: The first thing you should do is to upgrade the firmware to the latest version, especially since it has an improved auto tune function.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 03:49:08 pm by DrJustice »

Bob_R

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 01:41:13 am »
Yes, that's perfectly normal. The MxB's analogue VCOs need to warm up before they stabilize. Give it 15 minutes or so. When it's warmed up it should be in tune.

You may want to run the auto tuning procedure by pressing Panel + Kbd Track [1] as part of "breaking in" the synth. I recommend doing this when the synth is properly warmed up, say after half an hour. The auto tune does not need to be run often after that - only if you hear that it's out of tune after being warmed up.

[1] You must leave the synth alone until the auto tune procedure has completed. I'm not sure how long that takes - make a cup of tea, and it is ready for sure (Arturia: how long does it take, is it only for as long as the display indicates that auto tune is running on the latest firmware 1.1.0. 73 ?)

Edit: The first thing you should do is to upgrade the firmware to the latest version, especially since it has an improved auto tune function.

Thanks for that I have already downloaded the latest firmware and upgraded the Matrix
Gear: MatrixBrute, MicroBrute, Korg Kronos 73, Nord Lead 2X, Ableton live 9, Drum Beat, Lexicon MX200, Strymon Big Sky and Mackie Onyx 1620 Mixer plus other bits and pieces

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:59 pm »
Out of tune? YEAH - that's the joy of analog for you!  8)
On stage, Rick Wakeman could/can regularly be seen tuning his MiniMoog between songs.

Man, I'm so old I can remember the first TransAtlantic TV broadcast via the Telstar satellite. There was nothing like turning on the tiny black-and-white 'TV set' and having to wait a few minutes for the valves to warm up before there was a stable picture!
In addition to schooling you in THE ZEN ART OF PATIENCE, another advantage of the use of vacuum valves was that you could keep your toasted crumpets warm on it (before buttering them, of course). ;-)

If you can't stand waiting patiently in the lotus position for your French Monster to warm up and play in tune, you can always trade it for a [puke] DIGITAL SYNTH. ;-)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 10:15:57 pm by robst247 »
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

SomeCallMeFamous

• Sound Designer, Record Producer, Live Performer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 11:05:14 pm »
Welcome to the magical world of analog synths :D
And believe me, from my experience the Matrixbrute behaves very well for an analog, just sometimes that Osc one goes half a semi out of tune ;)
''Put Signature Here''

stephenm

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 10:34:05 pm »
For an example of analog VCO temperature compensation done right, see dotCom Q106.  Its frequency is stable on power-up.

For an example of it done wrong, see Alesis Andromeda.  It needs to be on about 30 minutes before it stops drifting.

jneumann

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 03:50:29 pm »
I might be lucky, but my MB seems extremely stable. After about 5 minutes, it seems like it's settled into tune. In fact, I never tune it unless I'm about to record something. Just make sure I turn it on before I go to the kitchen to get a cup of coffee.

I'm thinking one of these days I might record a drone piece, where I turn on the the MB as I start recording, and then let it drift slowly into perfect tune over a few minutes. Kind of like the beginning of Wendy Carlos' "Funeral for Queen Mary" (the Clockwork Orange theme), but over a longer time period. I almost wish it could be more out of tune at the start to be more dramatic.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines