March 29, 2024, 10:29:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 sounds muddy?  (Read 3017 times)

freddelinan

Keylab 88 sounds muddy?
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:19:12 am »
Hi guys, I've been comparing the Keylab 88 to another midi keyboard playing a normal piano VST. For some reason the Keylab 88 doesn't sound as bright (a bit muddy) when swopping between the two? Is there a reason for this or am I missing a setting that will fix this? I've noticed that the velocity on the keys seem to be a lot lower then the other keyboard too.

I'd love to use the keyboard but I want it to sound the same as the other one, ie brighter. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate any help...

Thanx
Fred

DSGN

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Keylab 88 sounds muddy?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 09:31:32 pm »
Hey there, sounds like you figured out the answer. Since a midi controller generates no sound itself, it's simply controlling the vst, the only thing that would make a difference here would be the velocity curve.

I recommend trying out the various velocity curves til you find one you like, sounds like you want one that's more aggressive. Also, depending on the vst and host or daw you're using, you can further tweak there.

Lastly, I've noticed that with very little time, the keybed has begun to have less resistance than when I first got it home a few weeks ago (a good thing, most people notice the weighted Fatar keybed that Arturia uses for the 88 starts off requiring a bit more force than is desirable to play). With a bit of time working it in and figuring out the velocity curve I like, it plays like a dream now.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines