March 28, 2024, 08:15:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A Few Questions I Can't Seem To Find In The Manual  (Read 4787 times)

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
A Few Questions I Can't Seem To Find In The Manual
« on: April 03, 2018, 03:36:23 pm »

I'm a brand new user of the DX7 V and I've glazing over the manual but can't seem to find answers for these couple of issues, so I'll ask here.

1. Is there a way to delete patches from the library?  Reason I ask is, in trying to create my own patch for the first time I made a duplicate and I'd like to erase them both because they were a trial and weren't too great.  I also downloaded a sysex file with a whole bunch of patches that had empty numbered slots on them and would like to keep this library tidy and well organized so I'd like to delete the empty slots

2. Is there a "Initialize Patch" command and if so, how to I access it?  I've been watching online vids about patch creation and it seems the hardware unit had a command to Initialize that would start a patch with just a plain sine wav to build on.  Would appreciate your help and I hope to make some friends here.

John Bowen

LBH

Re: A Few Questions I Can't Seem To Find In The Manual
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:26:36 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

There is a DX7 V init preset named "Default". It's a Factory, Template preset. But you can also create your own.

I don't understand what you mean with empty slots. You can for example allways use save as and name a preset, if it's just a missing name.

Please read Reply #12 in this thread https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=92003.0 and look at the attached images.
It's the same for all the V-Collection applications.

Does that answer your questions?

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 04:53:32 am »
Hi and thanks for your response.  I'll try the Default the next session I'm on with the DX7 V.  To clarify the "empty slots":  I downloaded a sysex file from  http://dxsysex.com/with the name of MALLETS and when I imported it into the DX7 V I took notice in the preset menu that there was a list of several new patches listed, but most of them were named MARIMBA, and unlike the presets that came with the DX7V, these were NUMBERED.  So, the list goes something like: 1.Marimba  2.Marimba  3.         4. Marimba 5. Marimba 6.            7.######po 8. Marimba etc.
I'm really not too crazy about downloading and installing these types of patches as I fear viruses, but this is an example of what was in that download.  Also, I want to clarify that I don't want to delete entire BANKS.  Just individual presets and NEVER the ones that were pre-installed with the DX7 V.  I just am interested in deleting patches that I download or create myself that I decide later I don't want.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

:)John B.

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 04:56:12 am »
Could you also perhaps tell me why I have to struggle so much to post on this forum.  Most of the time when I post a question or response I get "You did not answer the validation question correctly" even though I'm registered!  What's up with that?!  >:(

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 11:16:43 am »
Hey John !

In the preset browser, when a preset is selected, you can hit the delete button at bottom right of the window to remove it from the bank

Victor

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 12:03:59 pm »
Exactly what I'm looking for.  Thanks, Vic.  :)
JB

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:16 pm »
LBH & Victor;
I tried your suggestions and met with success for the most part.  The default appears to be the init as LBH suggested and I was able to delete the patches I wanted.  I still see some numbers that were originally doubled (ex. 15, 15-9,9 etc).  These numbers have no sounds assigned to them.  I can delete one of the pair, but if I go to delete the second of the pair I get a message that says "This preset cannot be found".  Well, if that's the case, why can't I delete that number too?

:)
BTW-it also seems as if my other problem, posting to the forum has been solved.  It seems as if this website finally accepted  the fact that I'm a registered member.   ;)  I don't even get a captcha anymore.  That's a good sign.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:23:14 pm by Johnbee62 »

LBH

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:46:08 pm »
I have not tried to download those sysex files.
Have you imported the same sound/s more than once?

Is the preset you can't delete, - because it's said to be deleted allready. - appear if you close and reopen your DX7 V application?
Have you done anything with the sounds after importing the sounds?
Is your DX7 V fully updated? Which version do you use?
I assume you have read my post in the link i posted. I don't know if the different ways to delete presets will help in this case, but as you can see, then it's possible to delete multiple presets at the same time, and also to delete banks if needed.

BTW: I have never needed a captcha on this forum.

Vic-tor

• Sound designer & Jedi
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 10:45:27 am »
Hey again,

I still see some numbers that were originally doubled (ex. 15, 15-9,9 etc).  These numbers have no sounds assigned to them.  I can delete one of the pair, but if I go to delete the second of the pair I get a message that says "This preset cannot be found".  Well, if that's the case, why can't I delete that number too?

Like LBH said, try quitting and relanching the DX7V app or VST instance. Sometimes the preset database needs a refresh to display what exists and what does not.

If after a restart you still see old presets that you deleted before, make sure your pllug in is up to date and please send us some screenshot so that I see if something seems wrong

BTW-it also seems as if my other problem, posting to the forum has been solved.  It seems as if this website finally accepted  the fact that I'm a registered member.   ;)  I don't even get a captcha anymore.  That's a good sign.

Seems there is a pretty serious check for newer users to avoid spam (which is a bit of a problem sometimes here), I don't know how it works in detail but it may require a certain numbers of approved / verified posts to allow for posting straight away

Hope this helps !

Have a nice day

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 02:27:54 pm »
I checked and those numbers did go away after I restarted the DX.  Version is 1_0_1_1278 according to the install file.  I also took notice that the only presets that can possibly be deleted are the ones that you add yourself, either through downloading or creating.  It seems the factory presets cannot be deleted (there is no delete button offered on them).  I think I read someplace that if you alter a factory preset and save it the change becomes permanent and it is recommended to rename it if you want to keep the original preset as is.  Could you possibly suggest where I can download some good (and trustworthy) sysex files or patch libraries?

Thanks
 :)JB

LBH

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 05:58:17 pm »
Seems there is a pretty serious check for newer users to avoid spam (which is a bit of a problem sometimes here), I don't know how it works in detail but it may require a certain numbers of approved / verified posts to allow for posting straight away
This is good to know Vic-tor.

I thouht that could be why. But you never know.

Perhaps it's good if new users is aware it's only for a while, as it's a pain to use captchas.

LBH

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 06:04:09 pm »
I checked and those numbers did go away after I restarted the DX.
Good.

I think I read someplace that if you alter a factory preset and save it the change becomes permanent
Yes - If you you have edited a Factory preset, then use "Save As" and name the edited preset different from the Factory preset. Then you'll have both presets.

Could you possibly suggest where I can download some good (and trustworthy) sysex files or patch libraries?
There are allready some presets converted from sysex files in the Arturia DX7 V Generel Discussions forum.
And the Factory presets also allready contain many originale DX7 presets.
There are thoudsands of sysex files out there, but i also think many of them are pretty much the same.

Johnbee62

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 08:10:08 pm »

Perhaps it's good if new users is aware it's only for a while, as it's a pain to use captchas.

I agree completely.  It was pretty frustrating there for awhile.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines