March 29, 2024, 03:49:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 encoder poor performance  (Read 1785 times)

ivkt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Keylab 88 encoder poor performance
« on: March 29, 2018, 12:23:34 pm »
Hi all,

I've just completed a support ticket with Arturia where they confirmed that there are CC output errors on all the encoder for the Keylab 88 (not sure if this includes other Keylab models...). I demonstrated to them that without any acceleration on, and with fast movement of the encoders back and forth, many CC messages are missed and the result is that the encoders eventually drift to one side or the other. The effect is worse with acceleration enabled. This causes generally bad and inaccurate performance of the encoders. They confirmed this as an issue, were able to reproduce it internally, and said that they hope to address this in a future firmware update.

I'm asking anyone who has a Keylab 88 (or other Keylabs, if they are affected) to pleeeease submit a support request asking this to be addressed asap. It's not OK that the encoders perform this badly. Unless I'm turning them slowly, I find them unusable.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:27:55 pm by ivkt »

Eric Barker

• Progrock/metal Keyboards & Sound Design
Re: Keylab 88 encoder poor performance
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:18:27 am »
I have had problems with my Keylab88 (my first one, my second one is fine so far), but it's a physical problem with the pot, I'm not noticing any digital problems like you described. I have mine set to relative, as I find absolute nobs useless without any indicator. I've always used some acceleration. But what I've found is that after a while, when the pot gets dirty, the relative encoder starts putting out more than just the positive and negative CC values (like 65 and 63), but more like 68 and 61, and things get really crazy. The values will spin in the opposite direction of the nob, and jump around. I can clean it out a bit with fader cleaner, but it always returns after a time. They're physically not great pots or faders, unfortunately.

ivkt

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:54:26 pm »
Yeah, I also noticed wildly different values on the screen when the encoders are in relative mode. Having said that, with as many problems as I'm having with the encoders in absolute mode, I should probably go back to trying relative mode to see if that is better for me.

tonycore

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 04:05:02 am »
i also have extremely erratic response to encoder knobs on KL88. i'll send a support ticket.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines