April 25, 2024, 06:42:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Single knob real-time entry of Pitch/Gate Time/Vel/Shift values  (Read 1032 times)

captainbleep

• Apprentice
Hi all,

I love my BSP! I'm constantly finding new ways to use it, and it always makes me happy. :) However, there's one thing missing... the ability to improvise in pitch, velocity, gate time, and shift data with a single knob.

My other favorite sequencer, the P3/Cirklon, has a "sculpt" mode, where you can hit record, choose a parameter, then wiggle a single knob to quickly enter data for that parameter as the sequence plays. This is AMAAAAAAZING for improvisation. You still need to hit the individual step keys to trigger gate events though, which is as it should be.

Here's how I imagine this would work on the BSP:

• Choose a parameter on either of the three tracks (pitch, velocity, gate time, shift)
  • Set the base value with Shift + Knob 2
  • If it's not playing already, hit Play on the BSP
  • Hit Record on the BSP
  • Shift + much wiggling of Knob 3

The BSP would then record the value of Knob 3 at the beginning of each step and set that as the value for the selected parameter for that step. It would record these values continuously until the Shift button is no longer being pressed. Turning the knob to the right increases the value of the parameter relative to the value set by Shift + Knob 2; turning the knob to the left decreases the value in the same manner.

There is one special consideration for pitch...

When Pitch is the selected parameter, any selected scale should be respected. So +1 increment of the knob is not one semitone but the next step in the scale. E.g. if I have Shift + Knob 2 set to D#3 and the scale set to C minor, one increment right would set the pitch to F3 and one increment left would set the pitch to D3.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 04:26:53 am by captainbleep »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines