April 20, 2024, 09:05:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Quick help to setup the Beatstep Pro with Roland TR-8  (Read 5979 times)

jedepth

Quick help to setup the Beatstep Pro with Roland TR-8
« on: March 18, 2018, 12:53:30 am »
Hello everyone  :)

I was wondering if anyone could you explain quickly with one example how to setup the beatstep pro to sequence the Roland TR-8?

Is one midi cable is enough to do it, should I change parameter on the beatstep pro and also the TR 8?

It would be great if anyone as a step by step solution!

Thank you in advance!!!  ;)

Best,

J.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Quick help to setup the Beatstep Pro with Roland TR-8
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 04:57:33 am »
Assuming you are in the factory state, try this:
Set the BSP to internal sync using the sync button (default setting when you switch it on).
Set the TR8 to external sync (refer to it's manual for details on that).
Set the TR8 to MIDI channel 10. I have a feeling it's default is Ch10 anyway, so just check if it's not by selecting the drum sequencer on the BSP and playing some pads to listen to if the TR8 makes a sound.  If so they are both on the same MIDI channel.
Now write a drum part and hit play.  There is a good chance the TR8 will start it's sequencer too and play whatever pattern it's currently on.  You can either clear a pattern and use just the BSP to play the TR8 or use both sequencers to run the TR8.  Using both you get the functionality of both sequencers, such as their unique random functions; I'd say it's a good bet that they work differently to each other and it could be fun to run them both at once.

Anyway there's a start.  Do a simple internet search for "MIDI basics" to get some more info on running MIDI instruments and then expand how you run the two together.  You may find after a little time you'd prefer the TR8 to be the master, getting the basics under your belt now will make that easy when the time comes.

Have some fun!
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

jedepth

Re: Quick help to setup the Beatstep Pro with Roland TR-8
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:16:19 pm »
Thank you so much megamarkd for those tips!!!  :D I started to read the manual of the BSP to understand a little bit more ;D

I will follow your advice and to do some research around to make it works!

All the best!

J.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines