April 24, 2024, 12:59:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: how to configure Drumbrute to start/stop via signal from Roland Juno-Gi  (Read 2309 times)

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I've got a Roland Juno-Gi and I've got the Drumbute hooked up to receive Midi sync messages from it. I'd like to also have the Roland trigger the Drumbrute to start playing a pattern or a song when hitting the Play button while in the Recorder view on the Roland. How to do this? I've been looking through manuals for both  but not seeing it ....

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ok, I delved into this and found that it's not possible. Here's what I did:

I downloaded Midi-OX and installed it on my laptop. I hooked up Midi out on the Roland to Midi-in (via a Midisport 2x2 box and USB) on my laptop. I opened Midi-OX in Monitor mode, noticed that there was a constant stream of F8-Timing Clock and FE-Active Sensing messages coming from the Roland, so I used the Midi-OX Filter to filter these out.

Then I played around with all of the Midi-related controls on the Roland. I could see Note events and other types of events, but was unable to find any combination of settings that would generate Midi Start and Stop messages when the "Play" button was pressed.

I did notice that the "Midi Ctrl" button on the Roland takes the keyboard out of whatever mode it was in and puts it into a Midi controller mode, which means that the different buttons on the keyboard will transmit different types of Midi messages. At first I thought this could be used to program the Play button, which it can, but it turns out it's only for when the keyboard is in this Midi-Ctrl mode. When you go back to Recorder mode or Play mode, those settings don't have relevance.

Then, I experimented a little with the Click-out settings (the click track). The recorder mode can be redirected to Click-Out. I thought this could be then piped into the Clock-sync port on the Drumbute, so I hooked them up with a 1/8" TRS cable. But it turns out the entire recording comes through, not just the click track. Of course the entire recording has all kinds of sounds which confuse the Drumbrute's synchronization, so this obviously didn't work.

In short, there's no way to trigger Play Start/Stop/Pause between the Juno-Gi and the Drumbrute. The only thing that you can synchronize are the midi tempo messages, which really is of no use whatsoever if you can't synchronize the start of your drum sequence with your track. I feel this is a major oversight on Roland's part, it severely limits the capabilities of the digital recorder on the Juno-Gi. Let's say I lay down a drum track from the Drumbrute. Later if I want to change the pattern I would have to manually try to sync it up.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:52:35 pm by mwtzzz »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Hi mwtzzz,
Yes DrumBrute need MIDI Start/Stop messages to to start playing.

If your Roland device do not send Start/stop messages, try puting your DrumBrute in MIDI Sync mode and pre-arming playing pressing start button. When it will receive F8, it should start playing.

Regards,
Y.

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Hi I Grec,
Thanks for your suggestion. The Drumbrute does start playing  when it receives F8. Unfortunately, the Roland generates a continuous stream of F8 when it's turned on, regardless of whether it's playing a song or not.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 04:06:50 pm by mwtzzz »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
You may have a look at this:
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNO-Gi_MI.pdf
Page 9 -> It seems Midi clock messages can be sent (Start, Stop, Continue, Clock) by JUNO-Gi.
They say "Sent when MIDI Clock Output parameter (SYSTEM/MIDI/SYNC) is set to ON."
They can also be received (page 4).

Regards,
Y.

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I suspect that the Start/Stop/Continue messages are only for purposes of MIDI-Thru - I did not see any of these when I connected to Midi-OX - but I'll investigate and let you know what I find.

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I looked at the Midi implementation link you provided. On the transmit side of things, it's not clear under what conditions a "Start/Stop/Continue" would be transmitted. By connecting up Midi-OX I can see plenty of Timing Clock messages coming through, but no Start, Stop or Continue.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Sorry to hear that. Try asking Roland...

Y.

mwtzzz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Ah, no problem. Thanks for your help, your suggestions were useful. It's pretty goofy that Roland didn't think to include that functionality.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines