March 29, 2024, 01:00:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia team, can you please make a statement on a possible update?  (Read 133390 times)

VAU

Re: Arturia team, can you please make a statement on a possible update?
« Reply #510 on: December 06, 2019, 10:20:37 am »
i really would love to know one thing:

WHY is not possible to have more than 256 patch spaces (ideally 256x256)?
Reading between the lines I guess it's a hardware issue: there literally isn't the onboard storage space.

All I ever expected for free were bug fixes. I believe consumers do have a right to expect tech products to work as described, just like they would expect a toaster to do what it says on the box. When bugs are identified preventing the product from working as described, I also believe consumers have a right to expect the bugs to be quickly remedied with periodic dot patches, not three years down the line as part of a major release. That is my only criticism.

The fact that a lot of new functions have been thrown into this release is a huge bonus considering neither you, I, nor any other existing customer has paid a cent for the update. We should be thankful for the additional freebies, not whine about the fact that the toaster we knew only toasted four slices at once when we bought it hasn't been freely upgraded to toast 16 slices or more.

I don't think it's "whining" or entitlement to expect from an - advertised as avant garde - analog flagship in 2019 not to have to use the computer to store and organize all your patches. And if it is a hardware issue, then there should be ways to fix this with an hardware upgrade. At least that's what Rudi Linhard /LINTRONICS told me when i visited him 1,5 years ago.

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #511 on: December 06, 2019, 06:45:44 pm »
i really would love to know one thing:

WHY is not possible to have more than 256 patch spaces (ideally 256x256)?
Reading between the lines I guess it's a hardware issue: there literally isn't the onboard storage space.

All I ever expected for free were bug fixes. I believe consumers do have a right to expect tech products to work as described, just like they would expect a toaster to do what it says on the box. When bugs are identified preventing the product from working as described, I also believe consumers have a right to expect the bugs to be quickly remedied with periodic dot patches, not three years down the line as part of a major release. That is my only criticism.

The fact that a lot of new functions have been thrown into this release is a huge bonus considering neither you, I, nor any other existing customer has paid a cent for the update. We should be thankful for the additional freebies, not whine about the fact that the toaster we knew only toasted four slices at once when we bought it hasn't been freely upgraded to toast 16 slices or more.

I don't think it's "whining" or entitlement to expect from an - advertised as avant garde - analog flagship in 2019 not to have to use the computer to store and organize all your patches. And if it is a hardware issue, then there should be ways to fix this with an hardware upgrade. At least that's what Rudi Linhard /LINTRONICS told me when i visited him 1,5 years ago.

Personally, I'm fine with the existing 256 on board patch storage quantity...however, I do understand why others might not feel that way. 

If it is in fact a hardware issue (as I'm guessing it is) and required a hardware rather than firmware update, how would the company realistically handle a hardware upgrade?  Is it really as simple as plugging in a higher storage memory chip?  Even if that were the case and it was a simple DIY fix, it would take another firmware release to create the process to unlock those extra memory locations, and remember how long we waited for the current release!  What if the memory chips are soldered directly to the board(s)...would anyone wanting the upgrade have to ship their MxB's to Arturia?  I can tell you that even if shipping my MxB back to Arturia meant it could store 256x256 AND toast the 16 slices of break mentioned above AND guarantee I could solo like Keith Emerson or Tony Banks, there's no way I'd do it.  As a former quality/reliability analyst at Apple back in the early 80's, I hold the view that the more you tinker with these things, the greater the possibility of introducing problems.  My MxB works perfectly as is and there's no way I'd want to jeopardize that by having UPS/USPS/FedEx throwing it around between here and Arturia and back to get extra patch memory...but that's just me, YMMV  ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 10:23:14 pm by WytchCrypt »

aWc

• Apprentice
    • aWc
memory upgrade
« Reply #512 on: December 06, 2019, 08:40:58 pm »
I think that for those who nwant/need it, the best way to go is to wait for the warranty to be expired and ask a reputable tech to do it. It would simply involve multiplying the existing physical storage with equivalent chips and having a switching system and an external switch (in the back preferably, so as not to disfigure the beautiful instrument)
I had this done on a Roland Jupiter 4, eons ago. My brother (an electrical engineer) added x5 the memory chip inside with a piggyback board, and mounted a five position switch (in this case in the lower front of the unit, where those candy-like preset buttons already were). Forty memory slots instead of 8!  It worked perfectly. But, at the present time, there is no way I would have this done to my Brute...

VAU

« Reply #513 on: December 08, 2019, 09:48:50 pm »
that would be so great! in fact, somewhere in this thread i wrote, that - if ARTURIA does not want to offer it themselves - LINTRONICS told me they would do the mod if ARTURIA  would provide them the necessary infos.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #514 on: December 10, 2019, 01:14:00 pm »
LINTRONICS told me they would do the mod if ARTURIA  would provide them the necessary infos.
I think we can guess with some certainty that Arturia won't be doing anything like that with their premium-priced product which is still in production, no more than they will allow third parties to officially hack around with its firmware. But unofficially, any product with user-flashable firmware (such as most Arturia products, including the MxB) can be 'jailbroken' by someone with the required software skills, and thus jailbroken, can be made to do literally anything within the constraints of its hardware. You would of course in the process kiss your warranty's a** goodbye.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

VAU

« Reply #515 on: December 11, 2019, 12:23:19 am »
i bought my MATRIXBRUTE so early, that my waranty period is over long time ago.
Also i got no flightcase or special price.

and even if i still had warranty i would happily welcome extended patch programs.

Just imagine, the One or the Quantum would have been introduced with
"...and when you reach program 256 then you have to use a computer
for storing more or for organizing".

Just imagine the reactions...
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 01:07:05 am by VAU »

Speedball030

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • Make music, not loudness war.
    • My music on Soundcloud
« Reply #516 on: January 09, 2020, 10:26:20 pm »
Arturia, are there any plans to continue the development of the Matrixbrute firmware now that 2.0 is released?

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #517 on: January 20, 2020, 01:35:33 pm »
Hello.

We are currently testing an hot fix to resolve a few quirks induced by the 2.0 update, and add sleep/screensaver mode to increase the digital displays longevity.
About a 3.0, we already discussed this topic and thought it would be cool to do it, so it is not excluded.

Kind regards

Edouard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 09:23:52 am by Edouard_Arturia »
DGDGDGDGDG

VAU

« Reply #518 on: January 21, 2020, 04:10:35 pm »
Hello.

We are currently testing an hot fix to resolve a few quirks induced by the 2.0 update, and add sleep/screensaver mode to increase the digital displays longevity.
About a 3.0, we already discussed this topic and though it would be cool to do it, so it is not excluded.

Kind regards

Edouard

Hi Edouard,

will you work on a solution to provide more program patches,
so we can organize all sounds on the synth itself, without the need for a not very elegant computer storage.
some here said, it wouldn't be a big deal to do.

STM

• Apprentice
« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2020, 06:07:11 pm »
Will we see a better MIDI implementation in a future update?
Making every single parameter accessible over MIDI would really help with editors.

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2020, 01:11:12 am »
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE enable us to sync to Midi clock the way it used to, without having to put sequencer start and stop commands into the midi stream.

For some reason, the MB sounds a lot better to my ears since the update.  I just want to be able to trigger the arp or seq in real time when sync'd to incoming midi clock (which for me is all the time).

Thanks

This post copied from another thread by close820 describes the problem ( SEE https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=98496.0):

in V2 firmware, With MIDI SYNC button turned on, the MxB Arpeggiator and Sequencer now REQUIRE an external midi "start" command sent via midi in order to work. You cannot hit play on the sequencer, you cannot just hold down a key and have either the sequencer or the Arp play, nor do you have any clock tempo working until this command is received.
This is in contrast to every other synth I have encountered, and also changed from the previous firmware, it is a problem.
How it manifests itself in a a bad way:
Lets say you have a drum machine, and 4 synths all synced with midi clock master from the drum machine. Your drum machine sends midi clock to all devices, but you have it setup to NOT send midi start/stop messages because you want to be able to bring in ARPs and Sequences from all your synths manually at various parts of your song arrangement...this is a live jam..
Now you have programmed a nice drum pattern, you have created a bass line on one synth,(lets call that synth #2) in its internal sequencer. You have a verse or chorus part of your song arrangement as an ARP or sequence in your Matrix Brute(synth#3), and you are playing leads on another synth,lets call that synth #1,  and maybe you have another sequence ready to cue on that same lead synth during the bridge Finally your #4 synth maybe has an alternate percussion part you bring in at a certain part of your jam or at the end of the song, its also programmed on its on-board sequencer.
Sounds like a nice jam ready to happen right? OK so you get going, you start your song with an intro drum pattern, you start playing your lead melody intro, then after 2 bars you press play on the bass line sequencer -synth#2, so far so good...your song is going well, the audience is loving your keyboard magic...you get thru a few more verses, then you get to a part in your song arrangement where you want to bring in the Matrix Brute ARP... you notice nervously that the tempo display is blank, the tap button is flashing, so you think its ok...you build your song up to the moment the ARP is to hit, and you press the keys to play your ARP....and NOTHING! no sound from the MatrixBrute... you go into troubleshooting mode, and while still playing your song, now out of order, you menu dive in your drum machine and enable the 'SEND" midi START command...because you remember reading somewhere in the MxB forums that it now needs a midi start command to run ARPs... in your mind you know this isn't good, but you don't register the disaster about to unfold....next few verses.. get to the chorus, you hit play on your drum machine expecting to switch hands over to playing a great ARP on your MatrixBrute..and while you now can play that great ARP, its drowned out by the 3 other synths now triggered buy the start command you sent and they are playing sequences all over a part of your song that aren't suppose to be there...the sequences are loud, because you didn't expect them to playout then...your song now sounds wack, you suck...next you turn off midi sync button on your MxB and frantically stop the other synths sequences...again you try to bring in that magical MxB ARP...alas it plays...but what? its drifting...its out of sync/tempo with your beats..oh no...people are walking out of the venue....and your record contract is torn up. ok lol maybe this was my nightmare after loading V2 firmware..but yeah this isn't good and exacty what could happen lol...point is- it used to work just fine and you never had to send a midi start message for the MxB to follow external clock, to play ARPS, and you should be able to hit play on your sequence at any time, with or without external midi start message. If you are still confused...watch my two youtube videos showing the problem.. links are in previous messages in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:16:39 am by yeskeys »

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2020, 12:17:53 pm »
And there I was briefly hoping for an ongoing support up to a bugfree release... Oh well. I am glad we got an update and are really stoked about some aspects of it. The Midi start stop situation is a real bummer, though. It doesn't affect me, but if it did, it must be horrible to have to stay on FW1 because of such a little bug.

Turns out, I still dislike Arturia   ;D

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2020, 04:29:42 pm »
^ There is a hotfix coming...

aWc

• Apprentice
    • aWc
« Reply #523 on: January 24, 2020, 06:19:08 pm »
At least these 3 issues appeared with FW 2.0:
-problem with the Compare function (aka the "A4" bug, i.e. the Compare function seems to use Program A4 as a temporary    buffer, and therefore wipes out whatever program was stored there)

-Glide function bug in Duo Split mode (glide is available on upper part as well as lower, BUT not independent)

-Midi sync bug (as described above)

-Anything else?

yeskeys

• Apprentice
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2020, 04:23:54 am »

-Midi sync bug (as described above)

-Anything else?

Yes.  May I beta test??

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines