March 29, 2024, 02:41:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia team, can you please make a statement on a possible update?  (Read 133402 times)

standingwave

Re: Arturia team, can you please make a statement on a possible update?
« Reply #315 on: June 21, 2019, 06:12:31 pm »
Oooooooooooooooo ;D

KrisL

• Apprentice
« Reply #316 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:27 pm »
Hello everyone.

Sadly, we are not able to deliver the update today.
Even though my colleague is doing his best to deliver this right on time, the firmware update is not ready yet.

Unfortunately, to make things right, more time is required.

Hello Edouard.  Thanks for the information.  However:

Don't release statements in the first place if you can't keep to your word.  It makes Arturia look incompetent/incapable of assessing/projecting timescales.

You've had over 2 years 'to make things right'.  Throwing resources at a project a week or so before projected delivery is, at best, shoddy.

There's a simple question Arturia have failed to answer: why has it taken so long to address this issue?   

Will I personally thank you when the update is delivered?  Yes, of course. 
But this doesn't mean your management structure doesn't need to take a serious look at itself.  Or have a serious think RE image projected.  Or address why this took so long.

PS I just reread your post.  Do you realize there is no apology in it?

An apology would go a long way... 

You (Arturia) should probably offer an apology once this update is released. 

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:23:27 pm by KrisL »

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #317 on: June 21, 2019, 11:04:02 pm »
One thing I noticed is that, in the picture, all the lights of lfo2 are turned on. Could be because of a sort of debug mode, but, if this picture is lfo-related, I would rather speculate on a sort of customizable lfo waveform which you can draw using the mod matrix! Otherwise, if sequencer-related, it could be a new way to draw automations.

Also, none of the retrig lights are on  ;)

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2019, 04:51:09 am »

My take is that the MB is worth keeping as it is, with a few bugs and the potential for better implementation of Midi, Sequencing and Mod routing a possibility, but for now not a reality.  So, in reality, if there never is a firmware update, although that will be a shame, I think I will still be happy with my MB. I could say the same kinds of things about my Minilogue and my Kronos--both of which still have limitations that Korg has not decided to expand upon or fix.  Yet, I am fine with both as they are, despite these limitations.

This email from Edouard makes it clear there is going to be a firmware update for the MB, at least someday. So, "Yay!!" 

The biggest surprise to me in the email today from Arturia is the acknowledgment that there is only one single person working on the firmware update, which might explain why it is taking so long.  If true, though, it also might make it more likely that the update will have its own issues.  At least if there were a team, there might be some doing the updating, and some doing the checking on the updates.  Maybe there are, but this sentence makes me wonder:

Even though my colleague is doing his best to deliver this right on time, the firmware update is not ready yet.

Edouard

TonyToot

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2019, 06:48:07 am »
Jesus H Christ. What a shit show of a company.

fede bts

• Apprentice
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2019, 09:21:41 am »
Also, none of the retrig lights are on  ;)

Yes, I have noticed it when I published my previous post. Not sure of what this could possibly mean. Probably this picture has nothing to do with LFOs and lights are being unresponsive during the update process. However, drawing customizable LFOs (or function generators, like in Pigments) would be a hell of an improvement! 8)

standingwave

« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2019, 12:29:25 pm »

My take is that the MB is worth keeping as it is, with a few bugs and the potential for better implementation of Midi, Sequencing and Mod routing a possibility, but for now not a reality.  So, in reality, if there never is a firmware update, although that will be a shame, I think I will still be happy with my MB. I could say the same kinds of things about my Minilogue and my Kronos--both of which still have limitations that Korg has not decided to expand upon or fix.  Yet, I am fine with both as they are, despite these limitations.

With all due respect Micheal, and I will add that you obviously have a right to your opinion, but your comparisons are a bit silly:
 The Korg Kronos is on version 3 of its firmware and being continuously updated to fix bugs and add features while the Matrixbrute had one update upon release and has been ignored since.
 The Minilogue, seriously?! You're comparing a less than $500.00 synth with the matrixbrute?!

This overly forgiving attitude towards a company's greed and disrespect to its customers comes up again and again. I dont understand it. The facts are:
The Matrixbrute is a flagship synth that sells for a flagship price.
The matrixbrute is not fully developed
The matrixbrute is full of bugs
If the matrixbrute does not receive full MIDI implementation, it will be a paper weight in the not so far future.

Dont kid yourself, Arturia have purposely tried to screw us. They put all their budget into marketing and thought they could make their sales and walk away. I am very happy that our voices were heard and an update is coming. I have to say though, without an update, the brute may as well be a synth worth $500.

Arturia releasing this firmware update will repair a bit of the damage, and as Krisl has said: an apology would also go a long way. Had I gone back to make the decision to purchase the brute again, I probably wouldn't have; the loss of productivity and interruption it has caused isn't what I need in my creative life.

Stop forgiving a company that so clearly gives zero fucks for you.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:31:14 pm by standingwave »

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2019, 05:22:19 pm »

With all due respect Micheal, and I will add that you obviously have a right to your opinion, but your comparisons are a bit silly:
 The Korg Kronos is on version 3 of its firmware and being continuously updated to fix bugs and add features while the Matrixbrute had one update upon release and has been ignored since.
 The Minilogue, seriously?! You're comparing a less than $500.00 synth with the matrixbrute?!

Thank you for your response.  I thought it was respectful (to me at least).  I think your frustration with Arturia is deserved and understandable.  You've owned your MB for much longer than I have.  I suppose it's possible I will feel the way you do in a year or two if nothing has changed. On the other hand, from your posts, it is also clear to me that the MB is a much more important tool to you than it is to me--I am a casual hobbyist, probably pretty easily impressed by the magic of the MB.  You've already taught me quite a bit about both the MB and the use of synths in general, so thank you for your contributions.

In terms of my comparison to my other synths, I see your points. It is true that the Kronos has had some firmware upgrades, but there are still many complaints about its OS on various forums. A couple of other things of note. The Kronos came out back in 2011, not 2017. My 88 Key Kronos cost nearly twice what I paid for the MB. The Kronos is a workstation that relies very heavily on its OS and a relatively large (for a synth) touchscreen for basically all of its functionality--which is one reason I wanted an alternative--not a replacement--but something I could use without much need for interaction with its OS: cue the MB. All in all, with only a couple of moderate changes, the Kronos is today pretty much what it was when I bought it back in 2014.  Despite some clunkiness in the way it handles third-party program installations and storage, which is not intuitive and I kind of have to relearn every time decide to load stuff onto the Kronos from my Mac (from what I can tell it basically uses DOS with a "folder" structure thrown on top), I have no regrets--it is today more or less what I expected it to be when I bought it (other than it is probably way overkill for my hobbyist interest in sound design and music composition). The Kronos has something like 7 individual internal "synth engines" in it.  That hasn't changed.  I suppose I could wish they would add a few additional synth engines, and maybe they will, but probably not.  Of course, this is not the same as bug fixes.

Surprisingly, the Minilogue in some ways is a closer comparison to the MB than the Kronos, both in terms of price and functionality.  The Minilogue and the MB are both "analog" synths with almost no user interface. Knobs and levers/sliders do mostly just one thing.  So, like the MB, but very much unlike the Kronos, the Minilogue's internal firmware plays a much smaller role in the way you use it. Anyway, that's why I mentioned the Minilogue in comparison.

If I were you, I'd be pissed, really pissed, at Arturia.  My needs are different, though, I think, and therefore so are my expectations.  Again, though, I appreciate your tenacity and desire to hold Arturia accountable to stand behind their product fully and keep their promise for the improvements we all want.  Thank you for your work in this regard.

standingwave

« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2019, 05:31:59 pm »
Respect.

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2019, 09:44:47 pm »
The biggest surprise to me in the email today from Arturia is the acknowledgment that there is only one single person working on the firmware update, which might explain why it is taking so long.  If true, though, it also might make it more likely that the update will have its own issues.  At least if there were a team, there might be some doing the updating, and some doing the checking on the updates.

I noticed that as well.  If the OS was designed and debugged by a team (I'm guessing it was), the fact that a single developer is fixing bugs and adding features is concerning.  Not that a single developer couldn't get the job done eventually, but it seems to indicate a lack of commitment on the part of Arturia to not throw at least 2 or 3 developers at this and knock it out.  If their history is any indication, I believe this will be the only firmware upgrade the MxB will ever see and I'd like to know they're taking it seriously by allocating enough resources to not just get it done someday, but get it done ASAP and get it done right  ;)

MichaelMonkey

• Apprentice
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2019, 04:06:14 pm »

I can show you this as a proof that things are moving on.
I won't tell you what it is, but some of you may guess...

Best regards

Edouard

So, any more guesses on what Edouard is trying to show us they are adding to the MB?

standingwave

« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2019, 08:31:08 pm »
After looking at it closer, and reflecting on others guesses, it does look like a way to draw an LFO wave or automation over at least 4 bars. LFOs were one of the brute's major weaknesses, so this would be a welcomed addition to possible modulation sources.
 Cheers.

KrisL

• Apprentice
« Reply #327 on: June 24, 2019, 04:07:26 am »

Best regards

Edouard

Edouard:

Now certainly isn't the time to try the 'teaser' approach. 

And a photo of the MB is proof of nothing.  'Proof' is the delivery of the update.  I could take a picture of my MB and make any claim. 
I personally believe you are working on the update, but just be aware that, given this entire update process has been appalling from the onset, your customers would be quite right in doubting everything you say. 

There could well come a point when no-one is listening any more. 

RE teasers... teasers are released to boost awareness/interest prior to a pre-established release date.  They aren't released on a proposed delivery date as a sweetener when a company fails to keep to their word RE delivery.

This is an embarrassment to Arturia - and your management apparently fail to understand marketing if they think releasing an image of 'work in progress' would somehow have owners waiting in eager anticipation.

Frederic and Gilles need to take a serious look at this.  Assuming you aren't planning on closing shop within the next 12-18 months, this should be addressed, as the image you are giving is highly unprofessional, and incompetent.     

Arturia are destroying their own reputation with this issue - not only specifically with the time for this update to happen, but with the failure to directly apologize to paying customers. 

Even when the bug fixes are delivered, you still haven't answered the question of why this has taken so long.  And I'll keep asking that question - whether on this forum, or in person at one of the various expos.  I'll ask until you give an answer, as an answer will let me know whether I should give Arturia any more of my money. 

Your failure to deliver - and also your failure to give reasons - is highly disrespectful to paying customers.   

So, I'll ask again:

Why has this taken so long? 

Never mind still not delivered.

If you say 'we failed to properly allocate resources for updates to our flagship', I'd at least respect your honesty.  I think we all would.

I'd maybe even consider purchasing from Arturia again.  And recommending your products to others. 

Presently I'm doing neither.

What I want is the instrument I paid for.  And an explanation as to why this took so long.  You owe this to your customers.

I also recommend you apologize to your customers.  As other companies do - with no qualms.  This is called retaining business/customer confidence.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:14:28 am by KrisL »

Chromat1c

• Apprentice
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2019, 11:41:14 am »
Hello everyone.

If they could just be honest with us that would be a start. Some communication with clear facts about what is happening would stop angry people like me making posts like this ^.

Indeed today is the summer solstice.
Sadly, we are not able to deliver the update today.

Still, things are moving forward, and we are committed to deliver a great update.
Unfortunately, to make things right, more time is required.

Some communication with clear facts

I tried to post from time to time, but yes, I haven't posted "facts"

Best regards

Edouard
Thanks for the update and confirming that we haven't been forgotten.

SentientMachine

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #329 on: June 24, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »
I'm going to guess it's an easier way to draw in and edit MOD automation. I don't think it's a custom LFO creator, just based on how there's a final blue LED lit up on the 16th step.

Having more than a single lane of MOD automation available for the MatrixBrute would be fantastic. Not sure if that would be possible given the rest of the workflow, but one can dream  :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines