April 19, 2024, 06:54:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: LFO2 Quirks  (Read 1046 times)

Lunatic Sound

LFO2 Quirks
« on: February 09, 2018, 12:59:10 pm »
So as I am still figuring out, how exactly the LFOs sync, I found this:

When palying a sequence and having LFO2s Delay turned up a little, LFO2 seems to retrigger, even when Retrig is set to off. I kind of get, why that would be so, cause the delay would only happen once and never again, but I found it useful to know, as I was wondering, why its not retriggering.

What I dont get is, with its waveform set to quantized sample and hold, and Retrig set to single, with every note played LFO2 jumps to a new random value, which is what I was hoping it would do, but then quickly thereafter seems to reset to its zero position. The higher value its delay is set to, the shorter the time becomes for it to reset, until you don't hear it's effect anymore.

Does somebody understand this behaviour?

Thank you!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: LFO2 Quirks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 04:15:17 am »
Yes, I understand your description and the behaviour, which seems to be correct. Since single retrig implies that the LFO only goes through a single cycle (which is a single random value for the set cycle time) it will end up at 0 modulation. The delay is actually a fade in function not a time offset, the key synced LFO cycle always start the moment you press a key, so the longer the delay time is, the less of the single modulation cycle will be audible.

Now, since the delay is a fade you'll hear that single random value fade in, as a slide from zero to that the value. If the delay time is sufficiently long, you'll hear very little since the LFO has gone back to 0 before the fade level is enough to hear anything. As an experiment, start with an init patch and assign LFO 2 to VCO 1 pitch with a Mod Amount of 50, set the LFO 2 Rate to the middle position (ca 2Hz), Retrig to Single, waveform to S&H and Delay to 0. Then play the same note repeatedly at around a couple of seconds intervals, holding it down for most of that time, while you increase the Delay a tiny bit for each note - you should now be able to clearly observe the effect of the fade and the single random mod value which 'expires' after the LFO cycle time.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines