April 20, 2024, 01:38:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MKII with Reaper -- knobs will not map correctly.  (Read 7386 times)

b78

MKII with Reaper -- knobs will not map correctly.
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:47:19 am »
So I got a MKII and I am using Reaper 5, in Windows 7. I am trying to get the various VSTs to map to the MKII knobs (for items such as Filter Cutoff).

I have set the knobs to both Relative and Absolute values, tried many different configurations, but whenever I MIDI-learn them at the VST level in Reaper, they just never respond correctly or smoothly. In one case the knob mapping worked fine, but would only move in the positive direction.  I could turn the knob either backwards or forwards, and the Filter Cutoff (or whatever was mapped to the knob) would keep adding a positive value until the control was maxed, then that's it. The knob wouldn't move "back" or in the -1 direction correctly no matter what I did.

In other instances, the knob would be responsive, but would just jitter between two barely discrepant values. In others yet, it would respond, but with a major, stuttering lag. 

Any help or tips, appreciated.  I am thinking about returning my MKII, since mappable knobs were half the reason I got it.  The knobs DO seem to respond fine in the included Analog Lab Lite software, though, so it seems like it mainly just doesn't want to play nice with Reaper. I've tinkered with a LOT of the settings re: MIDI and MIDI Devices, and tried a lot of configurations in the Arturia MIDI Control Panel, but nothing really seems to produce a result that isn't super-janky at best.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:50:26 am by b78 »

cxrstudio

Re: MKII with Reaper -- knobs will not map correctly.
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 12:02:33 pm »
Yesterday I tried to use the knobs to control the volume of each channel separately in Reaper. All worked normally in absolute mode, but knobs 1 and 9 only work in relative mode 2 and not work so well. I bought it yesterday and I'm afraid it's a knob defect, although apparently they work on analog lab 3. Someone Can tell me how to solve this?
Note: I have already updated the firmware in version 06-Dec-2016 1.0.9.83.
cXr

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
Re: MKII with Reaper -- knobs will not map correctly.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:45:51 pm »
Hi all,
i did some tests in reaper a found a way ( i think) to find a configuration which will suit your usage, if i well understood it.

first in midi control center you have to create a template where all your knobs will be set like this :
mode control
option absolute
Channel Keyboard
cc number : no need to change this.

min 0 max 127

To make things easier, if you right click on any parameter (i.e option absolute) , it will allow you to copy one parameter's value to all other knobs.

Once these parameters are set, store this template into minilab mkII memory 2.
Once done, close midi control center.

Then i open reaper :
The goal of the following experiment is to separate synth editing and track controlling

first let's go in reaper preferences , in midi devices area :
in midi inputs panel double click on Arturia minilab mkii and tick "enable input form this device" and "enable input for control messages"

Like this we made a first connection between reaper and minilab mkii

Now let's control tracks with the minilab mkii

First, press shift on your minilab to see in which memory you are. Normally as we want to use memory 2, pad 2 will light up on pressing shift. If not switch to memory 2 by pressing shift + pad 2
. Then we need to set keyboard midi channel on 2. To do this, just press shift and F# on your minilab (located under the blue serigraphy showing 2)

Then,Open Reaper's action panel "show actions list"
in filter area type "set volume"
in my case i select "track : set volume for track 01" (MIDI CC/ OSC ONLY)
In shortcuts area down-left side of this panel click on "add"
in the displayed popup window , just move the desired knob on your minilab . in my case i move knob 2 . On moving "shorcut" field will display MIDI Chan 2 CC74"

i close these windows, and a create a track.
once created , when i move knob 2 on my minilab, track 1 volume slider will move.

Now i'll add a VSTI to this track.
In my case i open any arturia synth, and on it's GUI, in midi CH part ( down right side of the GUI) , i select "1"

Like this, when i want to play, edit my synth, and map parameters to my knobs, I press shift + F on my minilab to switch to midi CH 1
and once i recorded my track and want to control track parameters only, without interfering with synth parameters i switch to midi ch 2 ( by pressing shift + F# on my minilab)

Hope this helps !
best,

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines