March 19, 2024, 08:31:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How???  (Read 2912 times)

gphantom

How???
« on: February 10, 2018, 08:28:41 pm »
If someone wanted to compose songs using Analog Lab 3, how do you remember all of the sounds that are available?
If you needed a cymbal, base guitar, Kick drum, Snare, Synthesizer, Organ ad infinitum...  How do you remember what instrument (PIANO, ORGAN, SYNTH, MULTI) do you select in order to find the instruments you need?
Do you have to listen to every single sound in Analog Lab 3 in order to pick and choose the instrument you need?
Or is Analog Lab 3 used for some other purpose.  Because I can't for the life of me, remember everything I like in the vast list.  And, if I were to save them under a different bank and/or type, what about some of the sounds I didn't like at first but later on, those sounds grow on me or they would be useful for some piece of music I want to compose.
I wonder if anyone else has these questions and undergo a painful process each time they want to write something or even then, play live sets.

Anyone want to jump into this discussion?

LBH

Re: How???
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 12:55:20 am »
Analog Lab can be used for composing, recording, playing and creating sounds. It's not for one thing only. But as it is for all tools, then it's how you use it. And it has limitations as you can't programme everything like you can with the individual applications. But it can make MULTIES even mixing different applications which you else can't in Arturias applications.

The PIANO, ORGAN, SYNTH and MULTI buttons make no sense to me. They are just annoying and introducing an extra step that interrupt the workflow.
Synths have piano and organ sounds. The pianos and organs have sounds that could be synth sounds as well. I would prefere those buttons was dropped. There is more sense in having each applications name on a list and add MULTI to this list. And this list should be visible with no need of using the 4 buttons first. The 4 buttons should go.
Also i would like attributes - instead of being toned down when there is nothing in the category - to only be visible when there is sounds in the category.

I personally like synth that sounds different and have a certain tone that define that synth. Then one can have an idea of the direction to look at, if you wan't a certain tone in the sound. Also if you wan't a certain behavior, you may know where it perhaps make most sense to look, if you know about the applications possibilities.

You have mentioned attributes. And yes you can use the different attributes (including banks), favorite marking and playlists. But that's for sounds you pick. The interesting part is, what about those sounds you have'nt picked, and that you also ask about.
Well perhaps you can remove sounds you know for certain you will not use at any time, if it's not Factory sounds.
You can take notes.
Otherwise it's about using your knowleadge about the applications sounds and possibilities like i wrote above.
Using your skills and knowleadge to create own sounds too can be easier, but perhaps it require the full applications.
You can experiment and explore sounds sometimes, when you don't do anything else.
You sometimes have something in your head to go by. But again that may require some knowleadge about which attributes and such a sounds perhaps have, and then sometimes you may find the attributes don't match anyway.
You can find an limited arsenal of sounds that define an overall sound you wan't and that match eachother. Sometimes you may shift arsenal or add or remove presets to excisting arsenal.
What else to do?
It's easy to get lost in lot's of presets. So choosing sounds and creating you own sounds can be quite important. Sometimes it's perhaps not the right sound you need here and now, and then it's perhaps better to compose, and then find sounds later on. Other times a preset may inspire you, but then you have found the sound - at least for a beginning.
It's also about what works best for you.

I don't know what kind of answers you exspect, but this is what i can do.

gphantom

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 03:30:03 am »
I wasn't looking for a particular answer since I've been through this with someone from Arturia (who said that they'd forward my complaint to the software engineers.)  They said that they had people get together to decide what features they wanted in AL3 over AL2 and apparently, most (if not all) decided to add those PIANO,ORGAN,SYNTH,MULTI buttons before displaying the TYPEs and other categories.  I have to wonder who are the "People" that discussed those decisions.  Are they the sound engineers that actually compose those sounds on the V collections?  Did they ask those of us who actually want to compose songs?
If they only asked those that are involved in the project(s) themselves then they went in blind and did not have a true sense of what most users want.  The ideal feedback they should have done, was to have an open poll in two or more stages.  The first, to get a general feedback as to which features they wanted, narrow the requests down then do another poll to get a more definitive overview, including "Do you want XYZ YES/NO"
Understandably, it would be difficult to get such feedback for the V collection themselves but, AL3 (and 2) can be regarded as PLAYBACK devices as opposed to RECORDING devices (i.e. ARP, MODULAR V etc.) where you create the sound itself (Not including those that have the V collection to edit sounds.)

In any case, I'm essentially curious as to who is doing what with AL3.  How do they solve specific problems.  What would they rather see in AL3 and so on.

I'm hoping that with enough feedback, Arturia might see things a little closer to the end user, ESPECIALLY when it concerns AL3 since it is a different thing altogether than the V collection or specific instruments from that package.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 05:07:01 pm »
My meaning was, that those buttons does'nt help you much in organizing and remembering. Actually perhaps the opposite. And there are better ways than having those buttons as i see it.
But having the buttons don't mean the things i wrote about your question (HOW?) is'nt valid and possible to do. The buttons is'nt your main problem in that question - is it? If so why?

gphantom

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 08:40:33 pm »
The buttons are a hindrance because they don't display all TYPEs unless you select one of the four buttons.  They could have displayed ALL TYPES if NONE of the buttons are selected.

In any case, I'm interested in the opinions of many other people and not just you and me.  Although, I wonder if other people actually read this particular post.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines