March 28, 2024, 06:18:36 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: What controllers are you using with V Collection (and how are you using them)?  (Read 14247 times)

jarviguy

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I recently bought the Arturia Essential 61 and the Novation Launch Control XL. I have totally 48 knobs and faders to assign to the Arturia synths (Keylab Essential have 16 and Novation XL has 32). I've made a config for every synth that makes it really fast, easy and fun to tweak and form my own sounds. I can easily mess around with delays, chorus, filters, lfos, noises, speed on vcf/vca and a lot of other stuff while playing. I strongly recommend you to get an extra controller to assign to the Arturia synths.

Akai Midimix (also got 32 knobs/faders) makes the same thing as the Novation Launch Control XL and is really cheap. I got it first, but the knobs were so small so I found it hard to get a grip of them. And the Novation XL has leds under the knobs that makes the assigning a bit clearer. By that I know where one thing starts and ends, by giving it the same colour. I'm about to make a physical template for every Arturia synth to put on top of my Novation XL telling me what knob is assigned to what.

It would be interesting to know how you work with your Arturia Synths. I'm sure many of you have better ideas and tips to share.

Johnnyaardvark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Thanks for posting this as I an also interested in what solutions people are using. Especially as I am surprised how much bad press the keybed is getting for the keylab boards.

Looking forward to any relies replies.

Steve

Johnnyaardvark

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
In the end I've decided to have a go with a nanokontrol 2. Combined with the 4 controllers on my triton it gives me 10 + 10 controls. Only things i am missing are the preset navigation and volume control. A few minor set up issues to begin with but mostly resolved and happy enough so far.

Steve

rsbkeys

About 2 years ago I located and purchased one of the few remaining new Keylab 61 Black Edition controllers.  I did so after attending NAMM 2016 and had the opportunity to compare most of the available controllers of the day in one place.  While most offered similar features, I went with the Arturia product because of the native integration with the V Collection software.  That being said, the unit has performed well for me although it can be a little quirky getting it to function within a DAW.  I've been a Sonar user for years, have a pretty good handle on using the Keylab within that platform.  However, now that Sonar is kaput, I will be transitioning over to Studio One and will need to see how compatible the two are.  I'll check in later and let you know.

jeffbart

I use a Kurzweil SP4-8 - a great 88 note weighted action keybed, with wheels, and the SP4 has its own banks of on board piano/string/perc/synth etc sounds.
However, it's not perfectly suited for super quick playing such as recording hi hats or quick sequencer style parts, by nature of it being a piano type action. I'm looking to add to it with a small 49/37 note synth action midi controller to do that kind stuff.

cheers Jeff
--
jeffrey
cubase 9.0.40
the amazing Modartt Pianoteq
Arturia things
tc electronic konnekt 24d

JDoo

• Beta-testers
I use an Arturia "Analog Experience - The Laboratory 61".  It is recognized by the Arturia soft synths, and auto-maps important controls.  Love this keybed, aftertouch, etc..

AndyRH

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I use a Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1 which I've used with Komplete 11. I still use it with the V-Collection 6 via NKS in Komplete Kontrol.

(I do wish that the NI instruments could be used in Analog Lab - I much prefer that to the NI one.)

Christian_S

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
I use:
Novation Zero SL MKII with 65 faders / knobs / switches
KOMPLETE S61 MKII with 24 knobs / switches
A Joystick with ControllerMate software (USB to MIDI) as x/y vector controller.
TEC MidiBreath Controller with 4 assignable controllers.

ArpHowl

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
i use:

- novation zero sl mkii
- novation 49 sl mkii
- novation 49 sl compact

(all in automap mode)

these are the main controllers for the arturia plugins. the compact comes and goes..
with the 2 first one, mapping for instance the cs 80, makes it possible to control everything, from the controllers. the compact i use also for the cs 80, for more control of different elements of the synth. other synths/vintage instruments, the first two mentioned are enough.
everyting, i repeat, in with automap. which works great. to make a sensible mapping is not easy. not in a technically way, but in a practical way.
2 automap controllers are most of the times enough. and it works if you work with hardware. and try automation with a mouse... automation, many lanes, at once, is heaven, tweaking parameters...

the mcu, mentioned later, i also will map it to my needs for the cs80. the sl 49 compact is not always necessary.

- nektar panorama p1 (for reason 10, and when there comes an update for cubase 9.5 pro, and it will come, it will be really great controller)
- creative drum machine for spark 2

- maschine mk3, NKS, but i do not use many plugins for maschine, but when a project calls for a arturia plugin, there is NKS (and maschine 2.x, the software, also works with automap, the loaded plugins. a feature never documented...).

- and, i can use the mackie control universal, with the remote control possibilities, mapping them in the order a like (within cubase).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:42:31 pm by ArpHowl »
cubase 9.5.30 pro, arturia collection 6, arturia spark 2 (+CDM), komplete 11 ultimate, korg collection special bundle, maschine mk3+jam, softube modular.
win 7 64 bit.

Arturia Newb

I can't speak for Arturia synths specifically, but I really like midi fighter twister for vst synths.

electricescu

• Apprentice
korg pa300
akai lpk 25
novation lounchcontrol xl
m audio keystation 88
and daw: s cubase 11 pro

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines