April 26, 2024, 02:20:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: How to start and stop Drumbrute patterns with a foot switch  (Read 3182 times)

plibbity

How to start and stop Drumbrute patterns with a foot switch
« on: January 29, 2018, 07:29:48 pm »
I searched this forum and found a few posts where people asked similar questions, but I haven't seen any definitive answers so I'm going to ask again.

What is the best/cheapest way to start and stop a Drumbrute pattern with a foot switch? Many drum machines have a 1/4" input that can be used with a piano sustain pedal to start and stop playback. The Drumbrute does not have such a jack. Page 51 of the manual says that the 1/8" clock in can receive start/stop data as long as you use a TSR stereo cable. From what I can tell this will only sync the start stop if the Drumbrute is slaved to the clock of another device. Am I correct in assuming that using an 1/4" to 1/8" converter and plugging a sustain pedal into clock in will NOT allow me to start and stop a pattern?

Assuming that is correct, midi information is the only way to start and stop playback with a foot switch. However, the world of midi footswitches is confusing and I'm not sure I'm looking at products that will work. The cheapest 5-pin midi footswitch I can find is this Bugera footswitch designed for changing amp settings: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FSB106Ad?gclid=CjwKCAiAqbvTBRAPEiwANEkyCOFyhwV7ZWeflSdlgdsx8RnytZ3D19qqboShoCGpfMPshv_71dpZexoChjUQAvD_BwE

Can this pedal and the Drumbrute be configured to talk to each other so that one pedal is a start/stop signal and the other pedals are pattern selection?

EDIT: Just noticed this pedal only has midi in and thru but no midi out, so it ain't gonna work. The cheapest 5-pin midi pedal with midi out looks like it might be the Behringer FCB1010, which is like 3x what I want to spend on this :(

Another thing I have found is this DIY Arduino project: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/adafruit-industries-llc/423/1528-1137-ND/5353597?WT.srch=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAqbvTBRAPEiwANEkyCHGt--HhJVlhNxRXaFhkMOxMdVR-fQb3TJ5S4auFqKgPVONEPLz9thoCPHcQAvD_BwE

This is a one button footswitch that sends midi data over USB. If I used a USB-A to USB-B converter to plug this into the Drumbrute, could I program the arduino to send the proper start/stop signal? I've never used arduino stuff before, but I am willing to learn if this is my best option.

Thanks for reading this, I would LOVE to hear from someone who has successfully gotten a start/stop footswitch to work!

P.S. Dear Arturia, if you make a Drumbrute 2, please include a 1/4" start/stop jack like many other drum machines do!!!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:46:24 pm by plibbity »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: How to start and stop Drumbrute patterns with a foot switch
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 07:58:27 pm »
Hi plibbity,
At the moment, you cannot start/stop the Drumbrute remotely, except from being slaved (MIDI, USB or Clock)

Regards,
Y.

plibbity

Re: How to start and stop Drumbrute patterns with a foot switch
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:20 pm »
That's very disappointing. Thanks for the fast response.

I guess I'm gonna try to build some janky DIY pedal that physically presses the play button lol.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:18:58 pm by plibbity »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines