April 16, 2024, 09:24:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Can't install updates on Mac - Repeated "helper" dialogs  (Read 8276 times)

JonnieCache

Can't install updates on Mac - Repeated "helper" dialogs
« on: January 27, 2018, 07:40:14 pm »
I'm trying to install updates to my Arturia software with ASC on my Mac. But, when I do, it asks me for my password to install a "helper" over and over again. I have uninstalled multiple times. I have tried dealing with permissions as described here: https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/asc-machine-registration-fail

Nothing has worked. It keeps asking for this.

I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3. Any help is appreciated!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:25:04 pm by JonnieCache »

blindfold

Re: Can't install updates on Mac - Repeated "helper" dialogs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 07:11:19 am »
Johnny Cache.

Did you ever resolve this issue? I'm having the same difficulty. This could be the straw that breaks the camel's back in my use of soft synths. I really have liked the new vCollection, but just updated to Mojave and did a clean wipe on my laptop, reinstalling everything today. What gives?

I'd love it if you could share your victory story.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 01:05:48 pm »
I've too have had problems installing updates through the ASC, though I haven't been pestered to download the helper tool. I found it best to do it manually by downloading everything one at a time from the downloads center:

https://www.arturia.com/support/updates&manuals

Yes it's more laborious, but it works, unlike the ASC which is flakey at best IMO.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

onlyleura

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 07:24:30 am »
What?! More people besides me have been having trouble with this stupid "Trying to install a helper app" thing in ASC. I can't get ANYTHING installed on my iMac (macOS 10.14.4), because I am repeatedly asked by the machine for permission to install some helper app, and all installs simply fail. So I have to go download every instrument from the Downloads Center to install them?!?!

CoupeChris

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 08:08:03 pm »
Yes me too! Another full wasted day trying to get things to work!
Arturia really need to get on top of this - it's not to do with permissions etc. as I've fully explored all that - believe me!
So here I am in the middle of a 'manual' download session - doesn't exactly make for an easy life and a productive evening!

What I did find is that if you change from the default 'downloads' folder in the ASC control it does stop asking to 'install the helper' - but it does do a more conventional install with the 'agree' button etc. - I set mine to install directly in the Arturia folder in applications.
Makes life a little easier but I'm still having problems with some software instruments not loading properly - I'm getting a red tinted app window (which means the plug-ins aren't being found) with the stand alone app and in Analog Lab 3 they won't load properly either - I get a notice to upgrade to a newer version - even though these are the latest!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 09:27:24 pm by CoupeChris »

JonnieCache

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 02:26:31 am »
Hi. I'm sorry I didn't see the messages earlier. I resolved the issue, but this was a long time ago and I can't remember how I did it. I have since gotten a new Mac and have had no problems with it. Wish I could be more help!

NeonBlackCat

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 11:06:11 pm »
Reviving this old piece

I'm also having massive troubles with the Mac "helper tool" the ASC is trying to install.
I want to update Analog Lab and it stops at 100%, which is frustrating to say it in a, well, civilised manner!

So if anyone has any idea, I'd be grateful. thx

ps. tried to deep codesign the ASC and Analog Lab, but that didn't help either and it's asking me 10x (and probably more if I wouldn't stop) to sign the installation with admin rights, which I do all the time, sigh!

NeonBlackCat

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 12:38:22 am »
Hm, old thing stays dead.

I have now taken it to support, coz not even cleaning the libraries thoroughly of any Arturia residues has helped and the ASC keeps wanting to install the helper tool, which I always give my admin rights to and then bugs out. Frustrating!

StewartKruger

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 05:05:01 am »
Let me know if you make anything out of it. I'm stuck with the same problem, and I can't relocate the resources folder without running into a permissions problem either.

StewartKruger

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 03:59:47 pm »
So I contacted Arturia Support, and literally the first thing they asked me to try worked.

For reference, I had the repeated helper tool problem. Here's what they sent me.

"Here are some suggestions which should help sort these issues out.

First, could you please confirm me when following the steps below what is the result obtained ?

- Open Launchpad -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and paste the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Arturia.InstallHelper.plist

- Once done, press the "Enter" key, enter your "User account" password, and then press the "Enter" key again.

Please note that your password is not shown on the screen. It is absolutely normal. Please make sure that you enter it correctly.

- Restart your Mac and from there give it another try.

In case this still persists, you can also try these steps:

- Close the Arturia Software Center and then go to the following folder:

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools

- Then delete the following files:

SEE PICTURE 1

Once done, open the Arturia Software Center and then give it another try.

Make sure also if needed to try deleting the Arturia Software Center preferences file, to do so:

- Go to this folder : /Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user

- Delete the "asc.pref" file

Once it's done, please try again.

If none of these suggestions have helped, i would suggest you for now as a temporary workaround to disable the "Silent install" option in the Arturia Software Center preferences which should allow you to install your software (but will require you for each install to go through the install steps manually which isn't comfortable indeed):

SEE PICTURE 2

Keep me informed if this solves your issue !

Best regards,

Léo - Arturia Support"

shazbot

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 05:57:46 am »
Dude, THANK YOU.  I did both the terminal command and deleted the helper file from the folder in hopes I didn't have to restart my mac and it worked. It's really sad Arturia can't put as much care into their forums/communications and servers as much as they do plug-ins.

So I contacted Arturia Support, and literally the first thing they asked me to try worked.

For reference, I had the repeated helper tool problem. Here's what they sent me.

"Here are some suggestions which should help sort these issues out.

First, could you please confirm me when following the steps below what is the result obtained ?

- Open Launchpad -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and paste the following command:

sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.Arturia.InstallHelper.plist

- Once done, press the "Enter" key, enter your "User account" password, and then press the "Enter" key again.

Please note that your password is not shown on the screen. It is absolutely normal. Please make sure that you enter it correctly.

- Restart your Mac and from there give it another try.

In case this still persists, you can also try these steps:

- Close the Arturia Software Center and then go to the following folder:

/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools

- Then delete the following files:

SEE PICTURE 1

Once done, open the Arturia Software Center and then give it another try.

Make sure also if needed to try deleting the Arturia Software Center preferences file, to do so:

- Go to this folder : /Library/Arturia/Arturia Software Center/user

- Delete the "asc.pref" file

Once it's done, please try again.

If none of these suggestions have helped, i would suggest you for now as a temporary workaround to disable the "Silent install" option in the Arturia Software Center preferences which should allow you to install your software (but will require you for each install to go through the install steps manually which isn't comfortable indeed):

SEE PICTURE 2

Keep me informed if this solves your issue !

Best regards,

Léo - Arturia Support"

OZzar

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2022, 07:51:27 pm »
I figure out the Issue.

I started by entering the password 1 million times - LOL JK

No seriously - I figure out that it was a a file or folder that wasn't allowing the Arturia software to by pass the command of finishing the update. after doing research I figure out what file was causing the issue. the people at Arturia gave you ways to patch the problem but not how to fix it propely.

All you have to do is go to /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools / com.arturia.installerhelper (Right Click on this file)  go to get info then you have to make sure your allowing to read and write to this file. also if your using a external hard drive make sure you fo the same on the foleder you dropping all samples and files. hope this helps some one because it took me a while to figure it out.

thanks Good luck keep creating great music - don't give up. stay focused on your dreams  :)

JackieJormpJomp

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2022, 05:48:09 am »
Thaaaaaaaaank yooouuuuu! I tried getting around this a few weeks ago and ended up just installing to the system drive and moving, but then when I went to update and install the new (and currently free) Filter MS-20, it starting doing it again. This sorted it right out! Seriously, thanks a bunch or sharing :)

I figure out the Issue.

No seriously - I figure out that it was a a file or folder that wasn't allowing the Arturia software to by pass the command of finishing the update. after doing research I figure out what file was causing the issue. the people at Arturia gave you ways to patch the problem but not how to fix it propely.

All you have to do is go to /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools / com.arturia.installerhelper (Right Click on this file)  go to get info then you have to make sure your allowing to read and write to this file. also if your using a external hard drive make sure you fo the same on the foleder you dropping all samples and files. hope this helps some one because it took me a while to figure it out.

thanks Good luck keep creating great music - don't give up. stay focused on your dreams  :)

Ibn

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2022, 01:03:46 am »
I just downloaded Filter MS-20 and now my update for ASC keeps failing one second after I try to open it. I followed your instructions up to “Get Info” but it won’t let me change it to “Read & Write”. It says “I don’t have necessary permission”...

Also, what did you mean when you typed “make sure you fo the same on the foleder you dropping all samples and files.” ? 

I figure out the Issue.

foege

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 01:55:20 am »
Click on the little lock at the bottom of the window that pops up when you press "Get info" and enter your password/fingerprint and you'll have the necessary permission
I just downloaded Filter MS-20 and now my update for ASC keeps failing one second after I try to open it. I followed your instructions up to “Get Info” but it won’t let me change it to “Read & Write”. It says “I don’t have necessary permission”...

Also, what did you mean when you typed “make sure you fo the same on the foleder you dropping all samples and files.” ? 

I figure out the Issue.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines