March 28, 2024, 02:57:00 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Record pattern to track  (Read 6524 times)

fizzyfizz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Record pattern to track
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:34:39 pm »
I like one of the preset patterns that comes included with Spark but how on earth do you get the patterns to save into a track? I'm using Logic Pro X.

reddog

Re: Record pattern to track
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 02:28:31 am »
You can export any pattern as a MIDI file or sound file by dragging it onto to your DAW's arrange window.

Just select the pattern and then open the Sequencer page. At the top left, just above the names of the sounds, is 'Export'. To the right are two buttons—a red one with an audio wave symbol, and a green one with three lines.

Dragging the red one onto your arrange window will create an audio file of the pattern—the green one, a MIDI file.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 02:53:20 pm »
You can also simply record the audio output onto another track. (I don't know Logic, but in Reaper you can simply set the Spark track itself up to record audio output. But I still send it to a separate track to record into.
Remember too that you can go to the mixer and set each instrument to output on its own channel, then set up audio sends in your DAW to different split tracks, and record the audio of each instrument separately, to do your own treatment to it outside of Spark.
This space left intentionally blank.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 02:18:29 am »
OH! A couple other points.
Some people get crashes or other issues when dragging MIDI from Spark's sequencer page into their DAW. (Or, more commonly, dragging audio output) ..... Works fine for me.
The thing is, you can ALSO simply drag that MIDI or audio to your desktop (or anywhere else in your file system) and THEN pull it into your DAW. It's just one extra step. ;) ........ perhaps that's an issue with communications between Spark and the DAW, and the OS desktop doesn't have that issue. Could work.
The OTHER thing is:
You can set your DAW to record MIDI output rather than audio. At least in Reaper you can. THAT way, you really do get the raw performance you did in Spark, but in MIDI form.
So you can play a pattern in Spark, and record what it does, IN MIDI, into your DAW. (you can do that with other VSTs as well, incidentally. I do that with Reaktor fairly often. Well ... SENDING the MIDI from Reaktor to other synths on other tracks. Even sending Reaktor MIDI to Spark 2. Pretty cool. ;) )
Of course, the whole "drag to desktop then bring back into your DAW" thing TOTALLY breaks smooth workflow. And NO ONE wants that. It can totally destroy "the mood."
Like, I will OFTEN just jam in Spark by itself (in my DAW, of course. I almost NEVER do any jamming outside of my DAW. Come up with something cool? INSTANT record!! ....... The only time I'd do that were if I were actually building shit in Reaktor)
I'll start on pattern A1 and build a minimal beat, then copy it to A2 and add to it, and so on. Using ONLY my Spark CDM controller.
So once I've got like 6 to whatever patterns built up, THEN I'll drag each of them out of Spark into Reaper. At which point, of course, I can arrange them at will.
HOWEVER!
One thing you can do WITHIN Spark is live performance. ESPECIALLY if you have the hardware controller the whole time, only looking at the software on my screen as a sort of "confirmation." And in particular if you go to the preferences and set it so that your pattern changes occur instantly rather than wait for the next measure.
Anyhow. I'm on the verge of ranting now, so I'll stop.
I hope I've been helpful. Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

misterelle

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2020, 10:30:34 pm »
OH! A couple other points.
Some people get crashes or other issues when dragging MIDI from Spark's sequencer page into their DAW. (Or, more commonly, dragging audio output) ..... Works fine for me.
The thing is, you can ALSO simply drag that MIDI or audio to your desktop (or anywhere else in your file system) and THEN pull it into your DAW. It's just one extra step. ;) ........ perhaps that's an issue with communications between Spark and the DAW, and the OS desktop doesn't have that issue. Could work.
The OTHER thing is:
You can set your DAW to record MIDI output rather than audio. At least in Reaper you can. THAT way, you really do get the raw performance you did in Spark, but in MIDI form.
So you can play a pattern in Spark, and record what it does, IN MIDI, into your DAW. (you can do that with other VSTs as well, incidentally. I do that with Reaktor fairly often. Well ... SENDING the MIDI from Reaktor to other synths on other tracks. Even sending Reaktor MIDI to Spark 2. Pretty cool. ;) )
Of course, the whole "drag to desktop then bring back into your DAW" thing TOTALLY breaks smooth workflow. And NO ONE wants that. It can totally destroy "the mood."
Like, I will OFTEN just jam in Spark by itself (in my DAW, of course. I almost NEVER do any jamming outside of my DAW. Come up with something cool? INSTANT record!! ....... The only time I'd do that were if I were actually building shit in Reaktor)
I'll start on pattern A1 and build a minimal beat, then copy it to A2 and add to it, and so on. Using ONLY my Spark CDM controller.
So once I've got like 6 to whatever patterns built up, THEN I'll drag each of them out of Spark into Reaper. At which point, of course, I can arrange them at will.
HOWEVER!
One thing you can do WITHIN Spark is live performance. ESPECIALLY if you have the hardware controller the whole time, only looking at the software on my screen as a sort of "confirmation." And in particular if you go to the preferences and set it so that your pattern changes occur instantly rather than wait for the next measure.
Anyhow. I'm on the verge of ranting now, so I'll stop.
I hope I've been helpful. Let me know if I can be of more assistance.

Hi dude,

I'm would like to record patterns in midi tracks from Arturia Sparks software in Reaper but I really don't know how to do this because I want to use a midi keyboard to control Spark software, but unless I'm missing something, it seems not possible to learn patterns buttons. Could you please tell me something more about? Recording live patterns will completely change my workflow, it's boring to create patterns and then dragging them into tracks.

Thanks in advance

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 11:39:28 pm »
Hi dude,

I'm would like to record patterns in midi tracks from Arturia Sparks software in Reaper but I really don't know how to do this because I want to use a midi keyboard to control Spark software, but unless I'm missing something, it seems not possible to learn patterns buttons. Could you please tell me something more about? Recording live patterns will completely change my workflow, it's boring to create patterns and then dragging them into tracks.

Thanks in advance

I had to take a look in the MIDI Control Center for the Spark CDM hardware, and haven't personally tried this yet.
The MIDI notes you'd need to switch patterns with a keyboard would be MIDI channel 3, notes C0 thru D#1 .. There appears to be no mapping for the Bank buttons.

I hope that helps. :D

Alternately, in Reaper you can manually dig thru all the available MIDI mappable parameters; but that's a seriously tedious PITA.

LBH

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 02:26:26 pm »
@misterelle
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

It's possible to do your own assigments i the Spark software, when you don't have a hardware Spark controller.

When you select the Spark LE GUI in the preferences, then the Bank A-D buttons and the Pattern 1- 16 buttons like the pads can be assigned a midi note.
On Windows you open a learn dialog by using control+click on the buttons. On MAC it's something similar. You can try if and how that works for you.

Next Bank and a Next Pattern excist as automation parameters. Perhaps in the bottom of the parameter list.

You can also select Spark2 as input for another track in your DAW. Then you can record the midi output on that second track. This might be what you need.
It's also possible just to record the full song as any other tracks in your DAW as the pads respond to midi notes. In this case you shall just use Spark2 as a sound module with no patterns/ an empty pattern.

I'm not a Spark power user, but i think this is the possibilities beside moving patterns or wav files to you DAW from Spark2.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 05:27:26 pm by LBH »

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 09:37:35 am »
I Reaper you can actually set the track that Spark is on itself to record the MIDI output. Where that button is depends on what theme you're using.
By default, new tracks in Reaper are set to record audio/MIDI input. So you'd have to change it. You could put Spark on a track, set it to record MIDI output, then save that as a Instrument Track default.
Of course, you can also set it to record audio output.
To record BOTH audio and MIDI, you could route the Spark audio track to another and record the audio (input, in this case, on the receiving track) and record MIDI output from Spark on the Spark track itself. Or route that MIDI output to another track. No right way, up to user's preferred workflow.

But, again, to control pattern switching with a keyboard, the default layout is C0 thru D#1

misterelle

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:09 pm »
I Reaper you can actually set the track that Spark is on itself to record the MIDI output. Where that button is depends on what theme you're using.
By default, new tracks in Reaper are set to record audio/MIDI input. So you'd have to change it. You could put Spark on a track, set it to record MIDI output, then save that as a Instrument Track default.
Of course, you can also set it to record audio output.
To record BOTH audio and MIDI, you could route the Spark audio track to another and record the audio (input, in this case, on the receiving track) and record MIDI output from Spark on the Spark track itself. Or route that MIDI output to another track. No right way, up to user's preferred workflow.

But, again, to control pattern switching with a keyboard, the default layout is C0 thru D#1

@misterelle
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

It's possible to do your own assigments i the Spark software, when you don't have a hardware Spark controller.

When you select the Spark LE GUI in the preferences, then the Bank A-D buttons and the Pattern 1- 16 buttons like the pads can be assigned a midi note.
On Windows you open a learn dialog by using control+click on the buttons. On MAC it's something similar. You can try if and how that works for you.

Next Bank and a Next Pattern excist as automation parameters. Perhaps in the bottom of the parameter list.

You can also select Spark2 as input for another track in your DAW. Then you can record the midi output on that second track. This might be what you need.
It's also possible just to record the full song as any other tracks in your DAW as the pads respond to midi notes. In this case you shall just use Spark2 as a sound module with no patterns/ an empty pattern.

I'm not a Spark power user, but i think this is the possibilities beside moving patterns or wav files to you DAW from Spark2.

Hello guys,

first of all, thank you so much!!!
Now I can record everything is coming from Spark as midi signal, wich gonna change my workflow and my life tough :)))

@artao
In fact my record output was on "Audio or Midi", so I changed in just "Midi"!

@LBH
Thank you so much for the tips of "Ctrl+click" to learn patterns buttons, now I've setted up my Akai and I can change patterns as I prefeer without the "Newt pattern" automation wich is not really useful unless the orders of patterns is in "Song mode".

Now the last thing to get a perfect workflow will be to record each instruments on the routed tracks that corresponds to specific channels on the Spark mixer [IMG A].
It works perfectly for record audio on this tracks but not for Midi and I'm pretty much sure that there is a way to do this even in midi, just like I did for the Spark track. It will be very useful because I could put fx on the routed tracks and having the midi signal generated too and I'll not need to split the midi notes after and put fx on it later. Now I don't know why I can record audio on each tracks and not midi. The record mode on the routed tracks is also on Midi output so I guess it should record the midi signal coming from the Spark because there is a route setted up [IMG B].
Maybe it's because of the midi channels? I tried any channels but wont work [IMG C].
Or maybe it's because of the master track that is routed automatically when you open Spark and let Reaper routing automatically? Infact, Reaper will assign a "-1" track to the Spark master send. [IMG D]

I'd really appraciates if you could help me with this step  ::)

[IMG A] https://ibb.co/nkhpL6g

[IMG B] https://ibb.co/gRsPd46

[IMG C] https://ibb.co/3RrvdrH

[IMG D] https://ibb.co/dg3xS9R
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:28:29 pm by misterelle »

LBH

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2020, 01:33:40 pm »
@misterelle
The routing you mention is audio routing and not midi routing.
When activated in the prefences you can send midi from pads, but afaik there is no way to seperate the output to multiple midi tracks in a DAW.

If you wan't the instruments to have it's own midi track in your DAW, then perhaps your DAW have a function that automaticly create a new track for each midi note number in a track. In my DAW such function is named "Explode pitches to tracks".
Then i/ you can assign each track to the same instance of Spark2 or use seperate instances for each track as you please. But perhaps this is what you wan't to avoid.

However - i don't have to seperate the midi to multiple midi tracks to put external effects on individual outputs, are you sure you do? Can't you in example just put external effects on the individual audio tracks you route audio to?
The external effects can also be put on a activated multi instrument channel before it's routed to an audio track. However then the external effects will be recorded, if you record by routing to an audio track without bypassing the effects. Perhaps your DAW have even more possibilities. And perhaps you actually wan't to record the external  effects.

The only thing i can't do without creating multiple midi tracks is using midi note fx in my DAW on the individual instruments. Or if i for a reason wan't to use multiple Spark2 instances.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:37:24 pm by LBH »

misterelle

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 03:08:01 pm »
@misterelle
The routing you mention is audio routing and not midi routing.
When activated in the prefences you can send midi from pads, but afaik there is no way to seperate the output to multiple midi tracks in a DAW.

If you wan't the instruments to have it's own midi track in your DAW, then perhaps your DAW have a function that automaticly create a new track for each midi note number in a track. In my DAW such function is named "Explode pitches to tracks".
Then i/ you can assign each track to the same instance of Spark2 or use seperate instances for each track as you please. But perhaps this is what you wan't to avoid.

However - i don't have to seperate the midi to multiple midi tracks to put external effects on individual outputs, are you sure you do? Can't you in example just put external effects on the individual audio tracks you route audio to?
The external effects can also be put on a activated multi instrument channel before it's routed to an audio track. However then the external effects will be recorded, if you record by routing to an audio track without bypassing the effects. Perhaps your DAW have even more possibilities. And perhaps you actually wan't to record the external  effects.

The only thing i can't do without creating multiple midi tracks is using midi note fx in my DAW on the individual instruments. Or if i for a reason wan't to use multiple Spark2 instances.

Infact I was wrong about the fx and I don't even know why I mentioned it.
In reaper there is the explode by pitch funcition, but then you have to reassign everything. BUT..  ;D if the audio routed tracks receiving only from his own channel that corresponds to the Spark mixer routing, so I can even copy the same live recorded patterns midi object from the Spark track to all the intruments tracks and what should I hear it's just the instument from each track I guess. Btw, you guys solved me the hugest problem I had and that's just great!

Now I was trying to record the FX pad automation. I've did it with the "Touch" function in reaper and they are recorded, but nothing happens. In fact, even when I record a pattern in Spark, this FX pad is the only thing that doesn't work at all. Any thoughts? img Attached.

LBH

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2020, 09:14:50 pm »
Now I was trying to record the FX pad automation. I've did it with the "Touch" function in reaper and they are recorded, but nothing happens. In fact, even when I record a pattern in Spark, this FX pad is the only thing that doesn't work at all. Any thoughts?
It sound like you are both confusing things and don't know how the FX pad section work.

The FX pad section has Touch/ Latch modes. This has nothing to do with your DAWs Touch automation mode.

I suggest you first read section "6.2.4 The FX Live pad and Effect buttons" in Spark2 manual, and try it out.
Without the Spark controller you can use the mouse on the FX pad.
And if you in Reaper somehow can assign your controller to control automation parameters, then you can do that.

misterelle

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2020, 08:53:51 pm »

It sound like you are both confusing things and don't know how the FX pad section work.

The FX pad section has Touch/ Latch modes. This has nothing to do with your DAWs Touch automation mode.

I suggest you first read section "6.2.4 The FX Live pad and Effect buttons" in Spark2 manual, and try it out.
Without the Spark controller you can use the mouse on the FX pad.
And if you in Reaper somehow can assign your controller to control automation parameters, then you can do that.
[/quote]

Actually those automations has been recorded by touching with mouse on the FX pad that I repeat it doesn't work in any situation (recording midi, recording patterns or simply by listening a pattern on Spark. The fact that automations have been recorded on Reaper it means that the VSTi id doing is job, but no fx is audible (Filters, slicer and Roller). So I guess is something missing but I don't know what because it should work with my setup and I've read the manual and whatched videos on YT.

P.S.: The touch function on Reaper is just a faster way to control VSTi...

LBH

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 12:11:38 am »
I've had a closer look at your automation image misterelle.
About the Global filter automation. When the bypass is off, then cutoff and resonance modulation should be audioble, as it look like you use the LPF in the first modulation.
Which kit are you using?

I wonder how you also have got automation for the cutoff and resonance with the bypass on. How can that be?

It look like you are using the Global filter with the pad in touch mode. Have you tried to set it to latch mode, so you don't bypass and reset the effect, when you release the mouse?

You mention the Roller. Which automation parameters do you have for the Roller? I can only get the effect as recorded midi notes, so that should also be audioble. How do you use the effect?
The lactch mode for the Roller does'nt work here. At least not without a dedicated hardware Spark controller. This is to me a bug, as it's mentioned in the manual.

And you also mentio the Slicer. How du you use the Slicer? Have you tried all the effects?
It work here.

Just in case: Do you use the latest update of Spark2?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 01:34:52 am by LBH »

misterelle

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 10:42:39 pm »
I've had a closer look at your automation image misterelle.
About the Global filter automation. When the bypass is off, then cutoff and resonance modulation should be audioble, as it look like you use the LPF in the first modulation.
Which kit are you using?

I wonder how you also have got automation for the cutoff and resonance with the bypass on. How can that be?

It look like you are using the Global filter with the pad in touch mode. Have you tried to set it to latch mode, so you don't bypass and reset the effect, when you release the mouse?

You mention the Roller. Which automation parameters do you have for the Roller? I can only get the effect as recorded midi notes, so that should also be audioble. How do you use the effect?
The lactch mode for the Roller does'nt work here. At least not without a dedicated hardware Spark controller. This is to me a bug, as it's mentioned in the manual.

And you also mentio the Slicer. How du you use the Slicer? Have you tried all the effects?
It work here.

Just in case: Do you use the latest update of Spark2?

Hello @LBH, many thanks for adivice, I finally get the update to Spark 2 and there are a few nice features included, even though, I've noticed that now I can't drag patterns in a Reaper track as Spark Creative (I think that Arturia disabled this because of Logic users that where experiencing crash).

So, the mistery seems solved. I was using the Pad Fx on an exmpty master track while all the others instruments where routed on outputs. I've seen then in Spark 2 you can use Pad FX on a single instrument wich is cool. But this means that you can't routes instruments on different tracks and use your own FX (Distortion, Saturation, delay) on every single track, if you want to use Pad Fx as global automation...
It could be not so dramatic because I could put my own fx after the song is finished (FX includes in Spark are good but not the greatest...) however I'm still experiencing bizarre behaviors with this pad. Filters works fine and I can record the automation in Reaper (in live). On the other hand, Slicer work when I record a track and the automation is there, but the midi does not respond to the automation (see image attached). Also, it seems impossible to records filters and slicers in a pattern. Any thoughts?
About the Roller it doesn't respond at all, even when I'm just listening to a pattern. As you said, it seems to be a bug.

Again, thank you so much for your advices.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines