March 28, 2024, 10:20:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: NOT-QUANTIZED recording --- Kill the grid  (Read 12632 times)

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
NOT-QUANTIZED recording --- Kill the grid
« on: January 18, 2018, 02:13:53 pm »
Wondering how to do unquantized recording. Is embarassing that on such a beautiful machine every single sequence gets killed in a grid.
Drum all all squared, nuances are lost, everything sounds so 80s... while all the other sequencers on the market do unquantized recording.
I guess would be as easy as recording a shift parameter for each step (like is done manually with a knob to obtain a shift - quite boring ???).

Are you going to solve this?

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
Re: NOT-QUANTIZED recording --- Kill the grid
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 08:38:02 am »
Hi wbonx,
Probably in a future update.

Regards,
Y.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 05:09:49 am »
When is the new update coming!!!!!! i'm gettting crazy with this... and other controllers came out and I don't want to buy and learn something else from scratch.

Make a mini update with only this function!!

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 04:19:35 am »
Gotta mention again my complete bafflement over people who buy a step-sequencer and then insist it needs unquantised recording and playback.  The whole point of a step-sequencer is a grid-based recording and playback device.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 02:54:16 pm »
Gotta mention again my complete bafflement over people who buy a step-sequencer and then insist it needs unquantised recording and playback.  The whole point of a step-sequencer is a grid-based recording and playback device.

This is bullshit. it is 2018. A sequencer is a way to sequence a series of sounds/trigger.... often while permorming. Nothing to to with whatever was the limit in the 70s/80s.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 07:48:39 am »

This is bullshit. it is 2018. A sequencer is a way to sequence a series of sounds/trigger.... often while permorming. Nothing to to with whatever was the limit in the 70s/80s.

LOLOLOLOLOL swear a little bit more, it's makes you more correct and is how to win a debate every time.  Thank's for the sequencer definition also, I wasn't aware of what they do.  I now know what the eight sequencers that I own (four of which are step-sequencers) are used for.
"it is 2018" makes no difference to what step-sequencers are generally designed to do and if you want to play that game, why are you using a hardware sequencer if "it is 2018"?  We are beyond hardware sequencing, it's old hat, completely redundant due to laptops and DAWs.  Get Reason and a plug-in stepper with unlimited quantising resolution.
Also, did I mention 70's/80's?  I can if you like, just to make you accurate: Look at getting a Roland MC-500 or a Kawai Q80.  Great linear sequencers with 48ppq resolution and multiple MIDI output ports for upto 32channel playback.  Full song mode on both too.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 04:53:31 pm »

LOLOLOLOLOL swear a little bit more, it's makes you more correct and is how to win a debate every time.
Very intellectual instead your opening here.
Thank's for the sequencer definition also, I wasn't aware of what they do.  I now know what the eight sequencers that I own (four of which are step-sequencers) are used for.
Very wellcome... I meant it is the estension of an instrument, the limit was the tech of the time. But thanks for informing us about your 8 sequencers.
"it is 2018" makes no difference to what step-sequencers are generally designed to do and if you want to play that game, why are you using a hardware sequencer if "it is 2018"?  We are beyond hardware sequencing, it's old hat, completely redundant due to laptops and DAWs.  Get Reason and a plug-in stepper with unlimited quantising resolution.
Sure.... same way of making music, daw or hardware seq... then bring a laptop on stage.
Also, did I mention 70's/80's?  I can if you like, just to make you accurate: Look at getting a Roland MC-500 or a Kawai Q80.  Great linear sequencers with 48ppq resolution and multiple MIDI output ports for upto 32channel playback.  Full song mode on both too.
Wow really? You do an unquantized sequencer today with an arduino and 20bucks... is a joke to sell something wrong programmed in 2018 that doesnt allow unquantized sequencing because of the laziness of the developers.

On every single forum people are complaining  about this missing feature. With it this would be a perfect machine. I don't see why I have to read you talking about buying a sequencer only to do grid sequencing or about what is an MC500 and its ppq.

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 01:36:57 pm »
Hi wbonx,
You do an unquantized sequencer today with an arduino and 20bucks
A Arduino is way much more powerful than BSP processor.
BSP has 48kio of RAM. You cannot even put a good jpeg picture inside the RAM. Flash memory is 256kio + 2Mio (let's say it is your hdd or ssd if you want to compare with a computer). Maybe a sequencer at a cost of 1000€/$ and over is better for you.

wrong programmed
Ok.

laziness of the developers
Developer without "s". Strange to see each and every one always think there are a lot developers. Unthinkable, there is only one guy. So one guy is lazy because he has 2 or three projects in parallel and maybe a life to live. Everyone forget Arturia is a very small company compared to competitors.

Now let's say no one is lazy and the machine is powerful enough: how will you set the time shift for a step on Sequencers 1 and 2? I mean: the workflow for a end user.

Regards,
Y.

luchod1

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 12:50:36 am »
Hi Grec!

Is it possible to tell us a bit more about the future update you mention

Is there a brief list of fixes/features this update going to bring?

Will it be out in the next months?

Thanks!

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2018, 09:44:13 am »
There is an update on the way. Should be available this month, I hope.
This is mainly bugs fixes. All known bugs. I do not have the list in mind, sorry.

Regards,
Y.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »
Hi wbonx,
You do an unquantized sequencer today with an arduino and 20bucks
A Arduino is way much more powerful than BSP processor.
BSP has 48kio of RAM. You cannot even put a good jpeg picture inside the RAM. Flash memory is 256kio + 2Mio (let's say it is your hdd or ssd if you want to compare with a computer). Maybe a sequencer at a cost of 1000€/$ and over is better for you.

wrong programmed
Ok.

laziness of the developers
Developer without "s". Strange to see each and every one always think there are a lot developers. Unthinkable, there is only one guy. So one guy is lazy because he has 2 or three projects in parallel and maybe a life to live. Everyone forget Arturia is a very small company compared to competitors.

Now let's say no one is lazy and the machine is powerful enough: how will you set the time shift for a step on Sequencers 1 and 2? I mean: the workflow for a end user.

Regards,
Y.

Hello,

nice to read you and sorry for the edgy comment, my apology, but I end here always after having the flow killed while trying being creative on the BSP. Often is because I have a specific rhythm in mind and you do it right on the good pads of the BSP, you hear it but the loop after is quantized trying to manually shift notes kills the flow. A bit frustrating.

Going to your point, my guess would be to have the machine recording the exact moment when the pad is pressed. Thus probably scanning through a high resolution grid not just the whole step, but then recording the offset between the scan and the step as a shift from the step (you akready have it as a parameter).
I'm quite sure the machine is already working at a different "resolution" since it has to put in space "shifts" to the step.

From the user point view would be just straight play and get your "shifts" recorded directly -> virtually unquantized (still in a digital world).

A couple more notes on things I noticed, it is impossible to Duplicate/Increase pattern lenght (16 to 32..) by shift + right arrow, when the recording button is pressed, a bit odd maybe is a bug.

Also it is impossible to mute part of the drum while using drum+mute if you are actually working on another sequence (drum section not highlighted). I did this mistake many time since is quite un-obvious. Would be easier if drum+mute would always do the muting of a drum.
Even more important would be to have drum+mute start a muting option that stays on hold, I mean with one hand you can drum+mute, then move the same hand to mute and unmute the single drum instruments. I massively use this in lives. While performing then with both hands on other instruments, would be easier to kill the kick for 2 bars with a single finger and go back on the keys :D

For the rest it is such a great machine, with the unquantized option it would be just the perfect sequencer.

Keep on the great job, if you need help coding since you are a single developer(no s) write me in private. :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 06:55:29 pm by wbonx »

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 11:37:31 am »
This is mainly bugs fixes. All known bugs. I do not have the list in mind, sorry.

Regards,
Y.

Hello Grec,

could you please let us know something?

Thanks.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 04:23:05 am »

Regards,
Y.

Hello Grec,

Thanks.

Have you noticed that the beta of the next firmware is out for testing?  Check the stick threads.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:57 pm »

Regards,
Y.

Hello Grec,

Thanks.

Have you noticed that the beta of the next firmware is out for testing?  Check the stick threads.

Couldn't find the update on the forum, but thanks you are right there is a bug fix release from March. (edit: i WAS WRONG, THERE IS A MAY 22 UPDATE... POSTED in a sticky note not linked to any child board .... very well done).

I hope this is a joke and that's not the firmware update they were planning. There is no new feature included and it fixes half the bugs the machine has.

Could the developers update us?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:21:17 pm by wbonx »

I grec

• Firmware Wizard
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 09:25:01 am »
Hi wbonx,
There is no new feature included and it fixes half the bugs the machine has.
Which bug is remaining?

Regards,
Y.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines