March 29, 2024, 10:09:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Through zero AM  (Read 2625 times)

DLopez

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Through zero AM
« on: July 18, 2017, 03:28:26 am »
The LFOs can go fast enough to make some nice bell tones when set to modulate the VCA. But I was noticing the amp stops at zero. Then I remembered that the highpass ladder filter has inverted phase from the rest of the filter modes. I thought I could use the two filters to make a through zero AM patch.

Set the Steiner to lowpass (or whatever), and the ladder to highpass. Both full open. Should be low volume because of the phase inversion.
Then route the Steiner out and ladder out to custom destinations in the matrix. Assign those destinations to an LFO of your choice. Then set the mod amounts for the two filters to equal, but opposite ±values. Crank up the LFO rate...

...Sounds like it works good enough. :)

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
Re: Through zero AM
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 08:58:27 am »
Hey is it possible for you to upload an audio example of the results you're achieving with this method?
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

minus_ego

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 06:27:39 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I just experimented with this method and there are some very unusual and interesting timbres to be had.  This synth continues to force me to rethink my usual programming methods which is a very welcome challenge.

Lunatic Sound

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 03:37:39 pm »
This is sweet, man!

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 05:00:07 pm »
Sorry if I'm missing something, but I don't get what you mean by the "Steiner/Ladder outs" in the matrix. These can only be chosen as inputs in the matrix, no? Does your technique require patching on the back panel? Thanks in advance-- looking forward to trying this out.

tp

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:53 pm »
Ah, got it now. I misread the original post. I would explain it as assigning custom modulation sources to both envelope outputs, then modulating those outputs with either LFO.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 03:36:38 am »
@tp: DLopez is talking about assigning the "Steiner Out" and "Ladder Out" parameters to two assignable matrix columns, then modulating both of those with the same LFO, but with opposite polarities for the two parameters.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines