April 25, 2024, 09:08:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Troubleshooting black screen issues during install  (Read 1479 times)

ajkandy

Troubleshooting black screen issues during install
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:19 am »
I have been using the Arturia V collection since at least version 3; my last upgrade was to V5.

I am using a Mac Pro 5,1 (2010), 3.33GHz, running Sierra (not High Sierra). The operating system and applications run from a Samsung SSD. I had replaced the stock ATI video card with a PNY Nvidia P600 (Pascal architecture) which has quad mini DisplayPort outputs, and installed the Nvidia web driver. The only other addition is a Sonnet USB 3.0 interface PCIe card, but those are pretty rock solid and have never given me problems.

Normally, the computer boots with a black screen because of this - you don’t get the grey screen with the Apple logo, without having a card whose ROM is flashed for Mac - but it works normally once it gets to the login screen and Desktop.

I purchased the V6 upgrade, and proceeded to update the Arturia Software Center app, then ran the V6 update after activating it. (It wasn’t really clear what order I was supposed to do things in.)

It was taking a long time, so I let the installer do its thing. Presumably it finished the installation overnight, and the computer went to sleep.

Today, I went to check on it, and the computer would not wake from sleep as usual - the screen remained black no matter what I did. I tried rebooting, I tried using Command-Option-P-R to reset the NVRAM, I took the machine apart, checked to make sure the video card was properly seated, re-seated all the hard drives in their slots, even re-seated the CPU tray just in case.

All the gear is plugged into a Furman rackmount power filter / surge suppressor. I have never had any issues with it.

No go. The computer seems to boot - at least there are no audible signs of issues - but the monitors stay black.

Before I try buying a different video card, or running any hardware tests, I will try to connect from another Mac using Target Disk Mode and see what is going on, maybe try restoring from Time Machine to see if that works.

However, I find it very suspicious that this happened right during or after installing the V6 upgrade. I’ve installed all sorts of music software on this machine with no problems to date, and the computer always woke from sleep perfectly fine.

Does the installer add .kext files that might interfere with other drivers? I can’t imagine it would, but maybe if there’s something hardware-related like drivers for USB keys etc, it could happen. If it does, is there a process to uninstall them, or manually delete them?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines