April 19, 2024, 06:48:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New owner (synth newbie) CV panel questions  (Read 1873 times)

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
New owner (synth newbie) CV panel questions
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:38:50 am »
First of all the MatrixBrute is my first hardware synth. I do have a bit of experience tinkering with VSTI's for a number of years so I do have a very basic limited understanding of additive and subtractive synthesis.

I opened the box on my MatrixBrute just 2 or 3 days ago. I've not done much...just run through the presents, played around with the master cutoff knob, the macro knobs, and also messed around with the oscillators and filters on a blank preset. It's a tad overwhelming to say the least.

In looking at the back panel I see this huge myriad of connectors for CV. I understand you could pair this monster with an outboard modular synthesizer? Is that what these connectors are mostly for? Are any of you guys using this? What types of gear are you connecting to the the CV i/o on this device in interesting ways? I realize this is a big open-ended question but I was wondering what you guys have done that has worked well.

I soon will be getting a Novation Peak and an Elektron Rytm MKII to go alongside this to "complete" my new studio. They are on back-order and pre-order so I'm chomping at the bit to try them too!

Thank you all, and I appreciate the hand holding.

StephenJamesBennett

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: New owner (synth newbie) CV panel questions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 11:52:52 am »
I use the MB with the Waldorf NW1 as an extra wavetable oscillator.

Gate and CV out from the MB to the NW1 and audio out from the NW1 to the external input on the MB.

I plan to get a few other Eurorack oscillators to add some more digital to my analog studio—and maybe some of the more unusual CV generators to spice up the MB modulation.

Stephen

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 11:56:31 am »
Thanks for the reply StephenJamesBennett I appreciate it.

I've been looking for an inexpensive modular or semi-modular to purchase to plug into the MB. I was looking at the Korg MS-20 mini as it's a semi with a little patch bay up front. Would that work?

Interesting you mention a Waldorf synth. I love the sounds from the demos of the few I've listened to namely the Rocket and the Blofeld. I don't think they have CV on them though....I think they're both digital. WAs seriously considering a Blofeld just because of the neat sounds it makes but the menu diving looks really unpleasant.

I'm looking at that NW-1 now. That's interesting, thanks for bringing it to my attention!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 12:00:11 pm by cwhiley »

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 02:37:50 am »
I've narrowed it down to the Moog Mother 32 or the Doepfner Dark Energy II. I like them both, kind of a toss-up. Lot's of CV patching opportunities between the MB and either one. Would be a nice addition to the top tier of my MB stand.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines