March 28, 2024, 12:30:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Insert question  (Read 2204 times)

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Insert question
« on: December 30, 2017, 11:30:45 am »
Little unclear on how the signal path is passed through the insert channel.

If I were to plug in a mono effects pedal into the insert channel on the MatrixBrute (which I have done using a TRS tip/ring splitter 1/4" cable) I'm confused how the signal is being passed. Since this is a stereo keyboard what's happening to my signal path?

I've tried plugging in the Elektron Analog drive pedal using a TRS tip/ring splitter type cable which works fine and sounds rather cool....but I was just unclear if I'm degredating the signal path or somehow losing stereo output when the pedal is engaged.

Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Insert question
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 07:04:12 pm »
The insert point is after the filters (which are mixed down to mono) and before the effects (which is where the signal becomes stereo). So you do not lose the stereo effects.

Apart from that the inserted effect might add add some noise or hum, there's no inherent signal degradation by using the insert. However, beware that the insert signal level is +4dBu, i.e. a very hot signal. This may overdrive the inputs of some pedals and other effects so that they distort. If this happens you can turn down both filter outputs until the signal is cleaned up.

cwhiley

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 08:01:16 pm »
Thanks, that's a very clear and concise response. Thank you.

I don't *think* it's a problem for the Elektron Analog Drive pedal I'm using....then again, it's a distortion unit so I'm not sure I could tell, lol. I haven't noticed it being overly high gain but then again I just started using the MAtrixBrute and the pedal YESTERDAY as it JUST arrived.

I'm sort of overwhelmed with the thing. I've actually never owned a hardware synthesizer (other than a cheesy Akai digital rompler and an analog version for the Electric Wind instrument but they hardly count) but I've played with soft synths for a good number of years. I've been watching AutomaticGainsay's tutorial series on Youtube top get me a little more familiar with its layout.

I might have gotten in way over my head but I'm still looking forward to learning additive synthesis with this beast.

THANKS AGAIN!

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 12:29:31 am »
To be precise, the insert is after the VCA and before the analogue fx. So if you use delay based fx in the insert, they will sound even after the note (VCA) has become silent. The signal path looks like this:

Code: [Select]
                              +---> left out
  VCA ---> insert ---> analog fx
                              +---> right out

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines