April 19, 2024, 02:35:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: User sounds disappear?  (Read 7602 times)

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
User sounds disappear?
« on: December 17, 2017, 02:29:42 pm »
Hi I have made some sounds. They do not appear in the plugin. But they are in directory (Macintosh HD is called SSD on my machine):

SSD/Library/Arturia/Presets/CMI V/User/User

I copied them to this location also but still nothing in the plugin:
SSD/Library/Arturia/CMI V/User

hedvre

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: User sounds disappear?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 02:28:00 pm »
Samples are in Arturia/CMI/ressources/Samples
Presets are Arturia/Presets/CMI

baubry_arturia

• PokéDev
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »
SSD/Library/Arturia/Presets/CMI V/User/User is the correct directory.
You should never mess with the files inside Arturia's directories.

Maybe you are not looking at the right place ?
There is 2 types of preset in the CMI:
- track presets: a preset for one of your track. To save one you click on the "save" button next to "reset". To load a track preset in a track, you need to go in screen -> sound -> browse.
- plugin preset: a preset containing all your tracks + sequencer + tune / map. You can save and load one from the toolbar like in any other plugin in the V collection.

I hope this helps!

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:54:23 pm »
OK thanks. It was a noob error :)

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:37:55 pm »
Is it possible to have CMI V save the WAV file as part of the preset file? I had made a folder on desktop to put WAVs to import, if I move this folder CMI V asks me to locate it.

Or is there something I am missing as a noob? :)

LBH

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »
Is it possible to have CMI V save the WAV file as part of the preset file? I had made a folder on desktop to put WAVs to import, if I move this folder CMI V asks me to locate it.

Or is there something I am missing as a noob? :)
A preset or project only save the location path to a audio file, and not the audio it self.
So keep the location of the audio you use in a preset, or save the preset with the new location, if you move the audio file.

A data file with parameter settings and a audio file is two different things.
If you saved the audio with a preset it would be with copies of the audio files used in the preset saved seperately in a project with the datafile you have now.

There are good reasons why it is as it is now. You can allways copy your audio files anyway, and put them in different locations, as you wish or need too. But having the audio files seperately for example allows you to save disk space, as you can use the same audio file in many slots and presets, without making any copies, if you wish too. As said you can allways create a copy of a audio file and then use the copy (from where you place it) for your preset.

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 08:04:14 pm »
OK understood. Thank you.

It's not necessarily a good idea to work it that way though. For example, Kontakt gives several options and can manage the audio files by itself (if you wish) even offering a compressed monolithic format where all audio files and the preset are one.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:03 am »
You do know you allready can save each slot, so you have the samples availble in your CMI V sample browser? That operation also copy the slots sample. The locations you have been given in others posts.
So in case you have used your own sample from a location, then it's copied, so you can move the original with no issues.

A Kontakt monolith copy the used audio files. It's a package file. It's not a preset.
The point in this case is, you still copy the audio and thus use more disk space, like i wrote about.

If monoliths are (can be) used in a browser system like Arturias (And i'm absolutely for that option if possible, but only as an option, so you'r not forced to copy audio files.), then you still have to place the package file where CMI can read them.
The point in this case is, you still get problems, if you have the file in a wrong location. You still can't move things around as you please.

Remember, that you need to have files for Arturias preset browser system in the correct location no matter what, if that system shall keep working.

But yes, you will only have to move one file, if you exchange between computers if you have the samples in a package with preset data, and place it in the folder CMI can read.

If it was possible to have preset and monoliths in a DAW project folder, then it would be awesome. But that's not how Arturias applications work right now, as you can't locate presets where you wan't. They have a single fixed correct location.

If you could export presets with it's samples to a folder and install it all by importing, then that perhaps in a way would apply fuctionality like a monolith.
I don't know if this actually is possible allready.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:25:42 am by LBH »

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 12:05:20 pm »
OK yes, it is already clear that one cannot move the file as one likes after saving it. That is no longer the issue here.

The issue is the manual is not clear on how samples are stored. I find I have 3 sounds where I have deleted the WAV from the original location, but the preset still loads OK.  have 30 other sounds that are still dependent on the original imported WAV being in place.

The default behaviour should be to copy the audio file to  Arturia/CMI/resources/Samples. It seems that is the default but it is buggy? Because it does not work (for me at least) with all files.

It is also possible to use "Export Bank" to make a monolith- that is, the entire bank as one .cmix file which includes the audio files.

I think we need clarity from Arturia on this issue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:07:16 pm by madtheory »

LBH

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 06:17:45 pm »
First - I have not tried all this out that much.
The issue is the manual is not clear on how samples are stored.
Agreed. I don't think it's even mentioned how to save each slot either. What happens when you save and export should be explained in the manual.

I find I have 3 sounds where I have deleted the WAV from the original location, but the preset still loads OK.  have 30 other sounds that are still dependent on the original imported WAV being in place.
This also need an explanation, if that's possible.  It sound strange to me. You are sure about this?

The default behaviour should be to copy the audio file to  Arturia/CMI/resources/Samples. It seems that is the default but it is buggy? Because it does not work (for me at least) with all files.
I don't agree it should be default. But an option. I assume it will be a linked procedure where you get the possibility to save each used slot.
How do you know that seems to be the default?
And as i said, then i also would like the option to save as a monolith if it's possible with Arturias preset handling system.

It is also possible to use "Export Bank" to make a monolith- that is, the entire bank as one .cmix file which includes the audio files.
It is? How does that work when you shall use it somewhere else? Something like i wrote about - You import and then the preset files and samples are stored seperately or....?

I think we need clarity from Arturia on this issue.
Agreed. I certainly need it.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 06:23:32 pm by LBH »

baubry_arturia

• PokéDev
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 02:43:14 pm »
Hello,

Indeed it is not explained in the manual.

When saving a track preset the CMI copies the sample in a private directory.
When saving a plugin preset:
- it uses the copy of the sample if it uses a track preset
- it doesn't make a copy of samples imported in tracks if they are not saved as track preset

In any case, if you export a preset (or a bank), the samples are embedded inside the preset to allow safe sharing between computers.

I agree that this is not user friendly and we would like to improve this.

madtheory

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • My Music
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 03:23:52 pm »
Great! Thanks :)

LBH

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 03:52:30 pm »
In any case, if you export a preset (or a bank), the samples are embedded inside the preset to allow safe sharing between computers.

Hi,

What happens when you import an exported Preset/ bank?  Will the import split into preset files and sample files again?

baubry_arturia

• PokéDev
  • Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2018, 10:59:07 am »

Hi,

What happens when you import an exported Preset/ bank?  Will the import split into preset files and sample files again?

Hello,

Yes!
This makes the use of the export/import feature mandatory to share presets

LBH

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2018, 07:22:47 pm »

Hi,

Hello,

Yes!
This makes the use of the export/import feature mandatory to share presets

Thanks  baubry.

Best

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines