April 26, 2024, 07:28:14 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MIDI Controller Assignment question...  (Read 3152 times)

celebutante

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MIDI Controller Assignment question...
« on: December 17, 2017, 09:11:12 am »
I'm trying to set up CMI V as a "vector synthesizer." Specifically, I want to use the joystick controller on my Korg Wavestation to control the volume balance of four sound slots.

The Wavestation joystick outputs two MIDI CC's:  #16 for the horizontal axis and #17 for the vertical axis. Unfortunately it appears that CMI V only allows a MIDI controller to be assigned to one parameter. In order for the joystick to control the balance of four sound slots, each axis needs to control the volume of two sound slots (with the min-max parameters inverted on one of them). When I attempt to assign the the joystick to the second parameter, the controller assignment gets deleted from the first parameter.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to assign a MIDI controller to more than one parameter? (and if not, please make it so you can!  :) )

LBH

Re: MIDI Controller Assignment question...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 06:15:54 pm »
If you joystick output 2 different CCs, then you should be able to assign one parameter to each using MIDI learn. But only one this way.
But you should be able to assign a single CC to multiple parameters, If you you have a DAW or another MIDI tool, that can give you that option.
I can do all this using a X/Y pad.

Some synths have fuctions that allow you to assign to those synths joysticks or X/Y pads, and use the functionality the synths provide for that function. CMI V unfortunately do not have joystick or X/Y pad MIDI control in the Assing section. But i guess it could have. I certainly would'nt mind. As long it has'nt you must find other ways like mentioned above.

celebutante

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: MIDI Controller Assignment question...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:03:55 am »
Thanks for your reply. Indeed I was able to set this up using two "knob" controls in Logic's Smart Control panel. I mapped one knob to control Track 1 and 3 MainLevel, and the other to Track 2 and 4 MainLevel. I inverted the scaling for tracks 1 and 2 in order to make the Wavestation joystick fade the volumes correctly. I attached a screen grab to illustrate, maybe it'll help someone else.

Incidentally, this turns CMI V into a very effective vector synthesizer. I've always enjoyed combining wildly different sounds when using Wavestation and Yamaha TG-33, but obviously they're limited by their onboard waveforms, so this opens lots of doors. I imagine you could do this kind of joystick level assignment with lots of virtual synths, but CMI V's inherent "dirty digital" sound is particularly well-suited!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines