March 28, 2024, 03:43:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: [SOLVED]Complex Oscilator Saw waveform?  (Read 2999 times)

LBH

[SOLVED]Complex Oscilator Saw waveform?
« on: December 10, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
Looking at the Demo version.

I have noticed that on the original Buchla Easel in Arturia Buchla Easel V manual the Complex Oscilator has a Saw waveform.
On the original a Saw waveform is shown on the GUI.
But on Buchla Vs GUI that waveform is shaped as a very narrow pulse (if more than a pulse click), and in the value display it's named Pulse. When running it thru a osciloscope using some good will it may actually be a Saw when the Wavemix knov is turned up, and it sound something like a Saw.

Can anyone please explain all this? Why is there differnces between the manual, the GUI and the Original? What's correct, and what's not?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 12:04:23 pm by Germain.arturia »

LBH

Re: Complex Oscilator Saw waveform?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:17 pm »
I realized i have been looking at Buchlas new version on the Easel.
Found a picture of the 1973 model. Opposed to the new Buchla Music Easel the 1973 model does not show a SAW waveform. It look like Arturias version on this point.
But the questions that remains is, why Saw waveform is mentioned in Arturias Buchla Easel V manual, and what kind of waveform it really is? Is it a pulse, and if so what kind of pulse?

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:22:04 pm »
The Easel hardware pictured a sawtooth illustration but apparently it was closer to an impulse train.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:49:25 pm »
Thanks for your reply CC4.

So the waveform on Arturias Buchla Easel V is a Impulse train and not a Saw like said in the Arturia manual, and not a Pulse like the value display say?
A Impulse train is a serie of impulses - right? That's what i first thougt looking at the GUIs waveform. But when i saw the manual said otherwise, i was puzzled. But perhaps it's just another Arturia manual error.

I must say it's hard to tell from the waveform shown in a osciloscope.

CC4

• Beta-testers
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 11:28:20 pm »
I'm not sure of the exact reason why Arturia stuck to referring to it as a sawtooth wave in their manual. In the manual for the original Music Easel by Allen Strange, "Programming and Meta-Programming in the Electro-Organism: An Operating Directive for the Music Easel" it's always referred to as a sawtooth however.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:45:49 pm »
As i expained, then there is a SAW waveform shown on the new hardware Buchla easel GUI. So i suppose it is a SAW.
Here you can see the new version: https://buchla.com/product/music-easel/

But on the 1973 hardware version the Impulse Train is on the GUI. So i guess it was then.
Here you can see the old version: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Buchla_Music_Easel.jpg

I think the manual you link to is for the new one. And thus it offcoarse say Saw as that's what it is on the GUI, and i guess in reality now.

Arturia perhaps have messed those two hardware versions up. The manual is like the new and the GUI is like the old hardware easel version. I don't now. But the fact is that Arturias version show a Impulse train while the manual say it's a SAW waveform. And it's hard to tell by a osciloscope what the waveform in fact is.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:06:22 am by LBH »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:11:21 pm »
HI everyone,
you both are right.
What i can confirm, is that indeed there is a mistake in our manual, the "sawtooth" term used in page 39, section 5.1, third paragraph, should be replaced by "impulse train".

It is true, that depending of the Buchla Easel hardware versions ( originals vs nowadays ones) they have both waveforms pictured, impulse train and saw. Anyway, as far as i know, this waveform is indeed an impulse train on all hardware versions, slightly filtered in high end frequences. That's what devs have reproduced on our emulation, and therefore pictured it by an impulse train drawing.

Anyway, i reported this to the people in charge of the manual.

Thanks for this catch LBH.
best,

LBH

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:40:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply Germain.

I understand the waveform is a Impulse train then.

It's no biggie but just good to know. It's just a understanding issue.
If the manual had said Impulse train, then i would'nt have been puzzled at all, as that's what the waveform Buchla Easel Vs GUI show.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines