March 29, 2024, 12:16:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Nice work  (Read 10437 times)

Jake Johnson

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Nice work
« on: December 09, 2017, 01:51:50 am »
I do like the new pianos. At first bite, each has a good, clear attack and a realistic sound. The added pianos and features--the compressor, for example-- are also valuable. One concern that is not related to the program: I'm not sure that people who bought the original version of Piano V are aware of the initial discount. I received an email saying that the entire Arturia collection was on sale for a discounted price, but only after going to the site for the piano did I find that there was a discount for just the piano.

I do have a very few feature requests, but I'll put those in the thread dedicated to, well, feature requests.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 04:36:41 am by Jake Johnson »

lzap

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Nice work
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:37:00 pm »
Absolutely agree, I use V2 via AL3 as I do not have license for full Piano V2 but it sounds gorgeous. And the stock presets are way better than in AL2.

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 11:48:53 pm »
Some of these pianos sound fantastic, Arturia. Superb work!!!! I'm really impressed with how responsive and real the grand pianos are. I've been using Pianoteq, and these pianos sound more organic. On the negative side, the Japanese Grand, and to a lesser extent, the German and American Grands sound a little austere in the mid range and upper midrange - a little veiled. The second to highest octave sounds a little too thin. Not perfect, but I can't believe how good the pianos sound overall. For me, the Pop Grand Progrock is a perfect pop piano. Bravo!!

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 01:00:36 am »
I really like the learning mode of the software. I just bought an Akai MIDImix so that I can make EQ and reverb adjustments on the fly. I can't wait for it to come.

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 06:40:10 pm »
Really digging the clear, realistic piano sounds. I have to correct myself about the high notes sounding too thin - that's on some of the grand piano presets where the high shelf eq is boosted. When you bring the high shelf eq down, the upper octaves sound good - I would suggest a little more richness in the second to highest octave in a future update.

I would like to hear some treatments of the Japanese, German, and American grands that make them sound more like pop pianos. Presets that have imperfections in the tuning and alternate tunings like well-tempered would be welcome.

Arturia might want to consider adding a higher priced pro version where you can make edits to tuning and individual notes.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 07:02:33 pm »
Really digging the clear, realistic piano sounds. I have to correct myself about the high notes sounding too thin - that's on some of the grand piano presets where the high shelf eq is boosted. When you bring the high shelf eq down, the upper octaves sound good - I would suggest a little more richness in the second to highest octave in a future update.

I would like to hear some treatments of the Japanese, German, and American grands that make them sound more like pop pianos. Presets that have imperfections in the tuning and alternate tunings like well-tempered would be welcome.

Arturia might want to consider adding a higher priced pro version where you can make edits to tuning and individual notes.
Hi beakybird,

Have you tried to exsperiment with the lid too?  It can be open, half open and closed, and that also make the sound different.  Just a suggestion, that perhaps helps a little.

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 02:57:16 am »
Thanks, I'm trying the lid up and down now, as per your suggestion. Usually, I like it up.

I think it would be a good marketing idea for Arturia to play some clips from the original pianos they modeled and some recordings of their software so people can size up how close they came.

The uprights in this collection have their charm as well, even though I'm more drawn to the sound of a concert grand.

I'd like some presets that marry the brighter mid-range I hear in my Pianoteq grand pianos, but keeping the organic nature of the Arturia pianos.

jef_citron

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 09:05:14 am »
I want to congratulate Arturia
The sound of this version 2 is already outstanding
If you still improve the sound in the version 3, It will be a global success

It should be interesting to add :
more settings :
  • hardness of the hammers low level and hardness of the hammers high level
  • settings note per note
  • settings with the mouse wheel

Thank you very much for this alternative in the world of modeled pianos
It's a breath of oxygen, and a very good one

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 05:44:05 am »
It's nice to have someone new visit the forum!  ;)

I'm glad you're enjoying the best secret in VSTs.

jasperjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 09:13:05 pm »

You nailed it! These are more realistic, warmer and more musical than pianoteq (which is also good but suffers from harshness in the treble, and over-realism). The EQ has a dramatic impact as you mention. I often reduce the bass and treble (just a tiny bit for treble), keeping mids the same, to add some clarity below and take off some of the edge above. I hope that Arturia can maintain some of these models with no changes at all - they're that good. Surprising. It might be helpful if the EQ controls were given numerical and adjustable frequency, Q, and gain, and if the mikes were movable (in a "pro" version) - but overall, really nice.

LBH

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:34 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

It might be helpful if the EQ controls were given numerical and adjustable frequency, Q, and gain
Open the MIX section. There you'll allready find those controls, if i understand you correct.

jasperjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:11 pm »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

It might be helpful if the EQ controls were given numerical and adjustable frequency, Q, and gain
Open the MIX section. There you'll allready find those controls, if i understand you correct.

Thanks! You're right, just saw the numbers in the lower left hand corner of V2 window... helpful

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 03:03:16 pm »
Arturia piano is the best.

The Japanese grand, I do hear some synth-like overtones that I hear in Pianoteq. I play the German grand the most, then the American grand and the Pop Upright with a normal velocity curve.

The acoustically treated concert hall reverb gives the realistic feeling that you're playing a concert grand without getting swampy.

jasperjames

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 03:53:04 pm »
Arturia piano is the best.

The Japanese grand, I do hear some synth-like overtones that I hear in Pianoteq. I play the German grand the most, then the American grand and the Pop Upright with a normal velocity curve.

The acoustically treated concert hall reverb gives the realistic feeling that you're playing a concert grand without getting swampy.

Yup - German Grand is my favorite. Most satisfying synthetic piano yet in my experience. Have not tried the reverb yet (using a third party one for now) but will try it out. I have adjusted settings as follows:

Compression, delay: none
Mike: Player
Low shelf:  f=102hz, gain = -25.7db (clarifies the bass and makes it sound less "recorded")
Band 3: 10,000 hz, gain -16db, Q=.296 (takes the edge off brittle highs)

Beakybird

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 04:36:23 pm »
I'll try your eq suggestions asap.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines