March 29, 2024, 10:32:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MB : what kind of sounds ?  (Read 2201 times)

liviou2004

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MB : what kind of sounds ?
« on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:08 pm »
Hello,

It's a long time since I've been giving a look to Matrixbrute because I want to complete my Korg Kronos 2 with a analog synth. But I'm unable to decide buying it. IS it a good choice ?
When I'm listening to the videos I'm finding the sounds produced by the MB very agressive and acid.
So I've got a question for all of you who get the MB : is it possible to get roundy, softy and mellow sounds with this machine ?
And, do you know some videos where I could listen to that type of sounds ?

Thank you very much for your response.
Fred

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: MB : what kind of sounds ?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:57:27 pm »
Being a fan of vintage synthesis, I use mine mainly for mellow'ish sounds. It can do from round and soft to edgy and hard. You'll find that in many typical youtube videos, everything must be turned to max, and with the MxB that means you get very hot gain staging and saturation/distortion (which is very cool when that's what you want). There are videos showing it's subtler side though, here are some

https://youtu.be/pkTv7nvFMnI
https://youtu.be/0VRgIsRTUWg
https://youtu.be/_J39LvMLDW0
https://youtu.be/fACw7VJWfjE

liviou2004

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 09:41:32 am »
Thank you very much fo your explanations about the subtle settings you apply in order to get these kind of sounds I'm looking for.

Here are four excellent videos indeed. Specifically the first one wich is very impressive and well done. Is it your work ?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:45:38 pm »
Oh no, that's not my work! They're just some go-to examples of how good it can sound.

The first one is by Andy Tillison of the band The Tangent, and yes, that piece is beautiful, all made with exquisite MxB sounds. The next two are by Yves Usson, synthesizer connoisseur and engineer - Yves designed the MicroBrute and MiniBrute voices which the MatrixBrute builds on. The last one, by Olivier Briand, shows mostly preset patches, and highlights that many of those are in the not-so-hard category.

Here's one more short, but oh so sweet, example of lyrical MxB, by forum member PES.

For my own uses, I make some sounds in roughly the same land as those in the examples (and other completely different ones...). I have to mention that you may have to work a little bit to polish your sounds on the MxB since it has such a huge palette and many things to tweak; quick and heavy handed patching may not get you the softer and subtler sounds. It doesn't have to be hard though, as you get to know the synth and learn how to program it "in moderation". Being an old time synthesists I find it very rewarding to do sound design on the MxB - intuitive enough to be fun and easy and deep enough to always hold more to explore.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 02:06:17 pm by DrJustice »

liviou2004

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 05:44:40 pm »
Thank you so much for having taking times for these explanations.

Hearing this last flute-like sound, I must say I'm impressed. I would never think the MB would be able to produce this kind of sound. So great !

I have to say that I'm lookin for a second synth in complement to my Korg Kronos 2. The Kronos provide absolutely huge possibilities and marvelous sounds of all kinds, and I suppose I won't get enough of my lifetime to explore all of them. Nevertheless, I'm looking for a light keyboard, analog synth. I don't need a polyphonic one because the Kronos is doing the job. As far as I hear today, the MB could perhaps do the job.
Yes, Yves and Olivier are both passionate guys and it's a pleasure to hear them. Olivier has created a meeting in Nantes (France) called Synthfest where the synth fans can see and try the best synths at the moment.

Well, thanks again friend.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 05:49:15 pm by liviou2004 »

VAU

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 11:10:01 am »
many of the kind of sounds i did on the MB you won't find in any video

SoundRider

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 01:23:38 pm »
That's a good question - and how so often - it very much depends on what we want to achieve.

IMO the sound of the MatrixBrute is a refined interpretation of the MiniBrute (VCO-1, VCO-2, Steiner Parker filter), which has been augmented with a modern understanding of classic analogue sound creation (VCO-3, Ladder-Filter, and all those modular-like modulation capabilities).

Now it depends ... IMO we get Arturia-Sound from the MatrixBrute. If I compare the MB in the studio to Moog, Roland, Dave Smith, Oberheim synths,  it is different in my ears, which, BTW, was the reason that I got it. I have made some similar patches on the MB and the others, just to learn and compare, and I would say, the MB sounds different ... but great, in any case.

This said ... if I want the classic analogue sounds of the 70ties or 80ties, the sound of MB is not exactly, what I would pick for a track and I would go to one of the other synths instead. But, if the musical  idea does not ask for "true classics", which is mostly the case, I use the MB for many different roles, be it bread and butter or the particular strengths, which the MB sound-engine delivers.

bobfrode

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:33 pm »
Hi, i have the Kronos and MB.i think the trick is not to use all 3 VCO with PS filter cranked up to the max at the same time. Try using 1 osc or 1 at full volume and a second osc at 50% volume. You can then make some lush and quiet sounds. I also have a MFB Dominion1 that sounds amazing. Totally different than the MB. There i can run all 3 osc at the same time without the sound dominating everything else. I love the character of them both :)
regards
https://soundcloud.com/bob-frode
gear: matrixbrute, Korg kronos, Korg R3, EnsoniqTS12, MPC Touch with a few soft synths

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines