March 28, 2024, 11:49:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: V6 Upgrade.  (Read 32125 times)

mrpingu

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
V6 Upgrade.
« on: December 06, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »
Is it just me, or does $199 seem way too much for loyal customers to pay for the latest upgrade? $99 would seem like a much more sane price.

lunker

• Apprentice
Re: V6 Upgrade.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 08:22:44 pm »
I agree.

I understand they have to make money, but I just bought V5 (my first Arturia product) two weeks ago.

If I had known V6 was 2 weeks away from release, I would have waited and gone straight to V6, saving $199.
Best Regards, Ernie "lunker" Lundqvist
V Collection 5/6/7/8/9, Pigments, FX Collection 1/2/3
MiniLab mkII
REAPER (non commercial license)
BDSM (Bad Dog Studio Musicians)

Terrym

• Global Moderator
    • soundcloud.com/logicaldream
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:08 pm »
I agree.

I understand they have to make money, but I just bought V5 (my first Arturia product) two weeks ago.

If I had known V6 was 2 weeks away from release, I would have waited and gone straight to V6, saving $199.

Hi not sure but there may be a chance if you bought vcol within 5 week you can get a free upgrade but don't quote me on that. just something I heard.

Terrym
TerryM
ARTURIA Tester for Minifreak,All software Polybrute,Keystep pro,Audiofuse range, Microfreak,Kl49mkII,DrumBrute,Spark,Analog lab3,KLE,kl88,matrix12,Semv,Beatstep,Minibrute 2,Pigments
ASC,Vcol6, Beatstep pro, VCOL8, Synclavier v.Minibrute2s

lunker

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:01 pm »
There's another post (https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=91755.0) in which Matthieu from Arturia suggested contacting sales@arturia.com to discuss this particular situation.

That thread seems to be locked now.  I haven't heard back from Matthieu since sending them an email (it was probably after their working hours by the time I send it).

But when I go to my "cart" in the "My Arturia" section of their website, it appears that they have offered me VC6 for $399, and then applied a discount of $249, which brings the total to $150.  (EDIT: previously I had posted that I thought the total was $0, but that was not correct and was due to my misreading the page on a small iPhone screen)

I haven't actually finalized the purchase yet, since I would prefer to do it on my home/music computer rather than on my work computer.

But at first glance, it appears that perhaps they are doing their best to make this right.  For all I know, perhaps that offer has been in my cart since before I posted here, and this has just been a communication error on their part.  I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, given that I have had no prior negative experiences with Arturia and they appear to be doing the right thing in this case.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 12:51:35 pm by lunker »
Best Regards, Ernie "lunker" Lundqvist
V Collection 5/6/7/8/9, Pigments, FX Collection 1/2/3
MiniLab mkII
REAPER (non commercial license)
BDSM (Bad Dog Studio Musicians)

gregwalton42

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:23 am »
On a general note, now that I've had time to go through the presets of the new models that are in "Analog" Lab 3 (getting less analog every time) I'm a bit more positive about VC6.

The Clavinet V is just a clavinet - OK if you need it but pretty much the same as all the other clavinets you've already got. Piano V2 seems to be a big improvement - but you could argue it's only what it should have been in the first place. The DX7V is actually a bit of a revelation - it's doesn't seem as harsh as the real thing and should have a wealth of varied presets available if it takes DX7 sysex. The CMI V can actually take user samples and do a lot with them - two things worry me, though: can it do anything that isn't lo-fi (like the 8-bit original sounds) and will I spend forever just messing about with samples? Also it looks like the reason we never got sample import in Synclavier V was that it would have taken away the attraction of CMI V.

The Buchla Easel V is probably the biggest attraction for me. It gives all the weirdness and more I was hoping for from a VCS3/AKS/Synthi emulation. I have been doing some odd stuff - Space Rock and sound effects - which the easel would be well-suited to doing. I tend to go to Modular V at the moment, despite its faults - which are much less than the real thing, I imagine. Modular V and 2600V seem very logical to me, having been brought up on analogue synths, so the Easel might inspire me to work in different ways.

Don't get me wrong - I still think €199 is a bit steep for loyal customers who have put up with unresolved bugs while these new models were being developed

MarkBog

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 05:54:38 am »
Agree with all.  $199 is too high for loyal customers.  Serious barrier for jumping to V6.  Love Arturia products but hard to justify.

matjones

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 02:34:21 pm »
Personally i'll be sitting this one out as the upgrade price is just too much, i'd pay half as many other posters have suggested, so someone else will be getting my money instead!  ::)

ggogos

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 09:24:26 pm »
Agree with all.  $199 is too high for loyal customers.  Serious barrier for jumping to V6.  Love Arturia products but hard to justify.

Agreed! Another loyal customer chiming in, but I'll sit and wait till a good promo comes along.

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • people who play live life to the fullest
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 11:14:39 pm »
I just did the upgrade from 5 to 6. Didn't do a test drive yet, but will give it a go right after this post.

My first version of the V Collection was 3. So you can say Arturia made quite a buck on me.
But I can't afford a Buchla Easel, since it costs around or over € 5000,-.
Now I can experience this work of art virtually for the price of the upgrade to 6,
and get the Clavinet, the CMI, and the DX7 plus improvements on most of the synths/organs in V5 in the process for a couple of hundreds of euros.

Look, I'm not trying to argue about the price for the upgrade, it is steep for what you get if you're only interested in a couple of V synths.
You can still buy them separately, at a relatively higher cost, if you want only a couple of them. I bought the Buchla separately before realizing there was a V6, had some problem activating which they did resolve quickly, and still did the upgrade regardless, because the Easle is so versatile, and they even added more options to it than the hardware will allow.

I for one want to keep supporting them, and they listen to their user base. Sometimes quick solutions are not at hand for individual needs, and addressing each and every whim is a problematic for some users, but they seem to be on the right path to improve their stuff.

I long for MPE-support in the standalone version for my Roli Seaboard Rise, and would love to see a V Arturia Matrix (not a classic yet, but analog) :D

Will I demand it from them? No, I can only ask, but they do the stuff they think is achievable . But they do improve, because they depend on believers like me, perhaps.
And the more believers invest, the better they get at delivering good synths, not only in software, but also in hardware.

I'll probably get flaming for posting this. Flame what you will. I stand by my case.
They make wonderful stuff, and I appreciate their efforts to give me the chance to explore synths that would otherwise be unaffordable, or frankly, unobtainable.
Now if you don't mind, I got some noodling to do ;D

cheers
Peter

Arturia Laboratory 61 AE, V-collection 6, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute, Bitwig2.1, windows 10

Svenne

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:21:45 pm »
One can only assume that Arturia don't want it's loyal customers to buy any upgrades. 50% of the retail price is totally unrealistic for an 1 version number upgrade. This only benefits the software pirates. I haven't seen any pirated v6 yet, but pirated copies of v5 appeared all over Google in days of it's release.

Arturia did the same pricing mistake then, so I'd guess I'd have to wait 4-6 months this time aswell. There's only looser with this pricing policy. We don't get access to the new instruments and Arturia lose money by not selling them. I hope everyone tell Aruria that we're not satisfied by this absurd pricing policy, by holding of any purchases until they offer a realistic price (€99).

See you, Arturia, when you get your pricing policy act together.

vaikl

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 11:31:42 pm »
Just saw that the first thread with comments on Arturias upgrade price policy was silently closed. Is censorship of inconvenient topics your "next level" of squeezing loyal customers, Arturia???

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 12:53:02 am »
One can only assume that Arturia don't want it's loyal customers to buy any upgrades. 50% of the retail price is totally unrealistic for an 1 version number upgrade. This only benefits the software pirates. I haven't seen any pirated v6 yet, but pirated copies of v5 appeared all over Google in days of it's release.

Arturia did the same pricing mistake then, so I'd guess I'd have to wait 4-6 months this time aswell. There's only looser with this pricing policy. We don't get access to the new instruments and Arturia lose money by not selling them. I hope everyone tell Aruria that we're not satisfied by this absurd pricing policy, by holding of any purchases until they offer a realistic price (€99).

See you, Arturia, when you get your pricing policy act together.
Hi Svenne,
I agree and I disagree.
It's a pretty big update considering the time it needs to download. A lot of work has gone into these lines of code, much more than going from V3 to V4 or probably V4 to V5 which was pretty much major. V6 is not finished and will be updated, I assume.
But please don't advocate piracy because of Arturia's pricing policy.
An increase in price half of that, to €150,- would have been fairer IMHO for loyal customers, but you can't blame them for trying to compensate for the development costs, let alone the licencing costs for recreating the synths. They were a group of enthousiasts once, they are a company now. Therefore they need the revenue to keep developing.
If you want to see a price change, wait for a sale, and lobby for a price change, like you are doing now.
If you want to pirate this update, you are on an ilegal path, plus you're enticing Arturia into buying or developing more anti-piracy measures instead of developing better products, which comes at extra costs.
Guess who is going to pay that bill.

Best regards
Peter
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:02:28 am by channel0 »
Arturia Laboratory 61 AE, V-collection 6, Beatstep, Beatstep Pro, Drumbrute, Bitwig2.1, windows 10

channel0

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 01:06:58 am »
Just saw that the first thread with comments on Arturias upgrade price policy was silently closed. Is censorship of inconvenient topics your "next level" of squeezing loyal customers, Arturia???
Missed the thread, curious about it. Can mods explain why it was removed?

vaikl

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2017, 01:22:37 am »
An increase in price half of that, to €150,- would have been fairer IMHO for loyal customers, but you can't blame them for trying to compensate for the development costs, let alone the licencing costs for recreating the synths. They were a group of enthousiasts once, they are a company now. Therefore they need the revenue to keep developing.
If you want to see a price change, wait for a sale, and lobby for a price change, like you are doing now.
If you want to pirate this update, you are on an ilegal path, plus you're enticing Arturia into buying or developing more anti-piracy measures instead of developing better products, which comes at extra costs.

From a marketeers point of view i must disagree. The idea behind such a collection can't be to reinvent the wheel of updates (aka "software lifecycle") with permanent growing update prices, even with a permanent cost increase. Where should it end? Getting 45 synths/keys for 950 bucks in 2019?? Ok, with 20 remaining customers it could get difficult for the investors...

Going back to smaller collections (each with different requirements) and single synths as the low end of product pricing would be a much fairer approach for such high level pro music products.

vaikl

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2017, 01:25:34 am »
Missed the thread, curious about it. Can mods explain why it was removed?

It's still there (https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=91755.0), but it's closed by moderation for new posts or answers. Why?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines