March 28, 2024, 09:58:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Local folders and preset importing?  (Read 14039 times)

27POP27

Local folders and preset importing?
« on: November 26, 2017, 11:08:44 pm »
Hello. First of all, where can I find the local presets/files folder? I see all the presets in the application, but can't find the actual local folder.

Second: I see there's a lot of presets available from https://www.arturia.com/community/presets. I downloaded some but the file type is .amb and Modular V3 only accepts .modux files. I can't seem to solve this through the VC5 Preset Updater, as I can't chose the scan location (where it seems to just navigate to what-would-be some older preset locations on my drive). Tried this suggestion from https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=89279.0 and https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87778.0, but neither helps.

Thx.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:47:13 pm by 27POP27 »

LBH

Re: Local folders and preset importing?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:40:52 am »
Hello. First of all, where can I find the local presets/files folder? I see all the presets in the application, but can't find the actual local folder.

Second: I see there's a lot of presets available from https://www.arturia.com/community/presets. I downloaded some but the file type is .amb and Modular V3 only accepts .modux files. I can't seem to solve this through the VC5 Preset Updater, as I can't chose the scan location (where it seems to just navigate to what-would-be some older preset locations on my drive). Tried this suggestion from https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=89279.0 and https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=87778.0, but neither helps.

Thx.
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

This questions have been answered many time is the forum, and there are info to find in the Support page. It can be a good idea to search the different forums and the support page to find allready excisting answers.

As you can read at the top on the preset page you link to, then those presets are an for applications anterior to V-Collection 5, and most are included in V-Collection 5 allready.

To use the preset updater/(converter) you need to have presets in application you own anterior to V-Collection 5.

V-Collection 5 presets are stored here:
OSX: /Library/Arturia/Presets
WIN: C:\ProgramData\Arturia\Presets

I don't know for MAC, but WIN ProgramData is a hidden folder. So you need to enable windows to see hidden folders to be able to find it. You can find instruction on the web to do that, in case you don't know.

FYI: Also remember it's possible to export presets. Please refere to the manuals.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:43:39 am by LBH »

stickman393

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 02:49:54 am »
Whatever posessed Arturia to store USER presets under ProgramData rather than User/<user>/AppData or in fact ANY folder under the User/ folder? !!???!

I've just lost all my user presets during an OS recovery. Majorly pissed.

I have backups. I just don't backup C:\ProgramData. I guess that changes today. But f***.

gphantom

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 11:56:42 pm »
Whatever posessed Arturia to store USER presets under ProgramData rather than User/<user>/AppData or in fact ANY folder under the User/ folder? !!???!

I've just lost all my user presets during an OS recovery. Majorly pissed.

I have backups. I just don't backup C:\ProgramData. I guess that changes today. But f***.

Well, if the presets were in the USER directory, it would only be accessible by a single user.  If you log on with multiple users, the others wouldn't have access unless you stored them in DEFAULT directory.  ProgramData is the defacto Program "DATA" repository which many software use.

As for backups, the ProgramData directory should always be backed up.

jth4

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 03:28:17 pm »
I feel your pain stickman393.  Just had a similar incident where plugin folders (from several manufacturers) were scattered in arbitrary and hidden folders on my computer and I lost a bunch of presets.  HOWEVER, I was able to reopen older projects and then resave the presets again (make a cup of tea...it may take awhile).  Not what I wanted to do, but it was cool to revisit the old projects at least and now my preset backup game is a bit more dialed in.

I ended up creating a text document that lists where all the presets (and samples) from the third-party companies are located and now I reference this anytime I need to backup data.  But, I'm in total agreement with you that there should be a unifed place where all plugin presets are kept and that this not be a hidden folder.  It's easy to see the primary, non-hidden preset folders and assume everything goes there when it doesn't. 

And I see your point, gphantom, but in nearly a decade's worth of music production on my personal computer, I have never logged in from a multiple user account.  My guess is that the majority of producers also only use one account and this would be a strong indication that the default setting should be more user-specific rather than system-wide, or at least this distinction could be made more clear on install, ie, "Install system-wide if using our plugins on a shared computer", etc. 

But the good news is that the presets are recoverable if you have the old projects.  Otherwise, you may have to rationalize it as a force of creation coming through to wipe the slate clean so you can start again and explore new settings. 

(I've attached a screenshot of my plugin location text document in case it's inspiring.)

-John

gphantom

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 05:06:28 pm »
I have also had different apps storing their VSTs in different folders, which is why I've specified a specific folder called:   C:\AllVSTs64 (for 64bit VSTs) and  C:\AllVSTs32 for the 32bit versions.  Most apps ask where to store the VSTs and so you can set aside one specific folder for everything.  If an app doesn't ask where, find it then copy the VSTs to your specific folder.  At least the other apps will have access to them.
Works for me.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines