April 19, 2024, 05:58:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Connecting 2 MIDI synths and a Drum Machine ATSM  (Read 1496 times)

alezzofio

Connecting 2 MIDI synths and a Drum Machine ATSM
« on: November 09, 2017, 01:46:12 pm »
Hi!
First post so be gentle.

I am trying to figure out how I can use my Beatstep Pro to control 2 synthesizers through MIDI and a Drum Machine (TR 707).

I would like to be able to just select sequences and have a beat at the same time and sort of use it like Ableton Life.

I have a basic MIDI THRU box but from what I read, it won't do the trick to separate MIDI channels. So far I have only managed to assign Sequencers on Beatstep Pro to different Channels and I can trigger one of the synths (I Use Waldorf Rocket and Streichfett).
In this setup, although Drum Seq is set to Midi Channel 3, the drum machine doesn't react. And as you can imagine, I don't think there's a way to program this hardware to receive a concrete MIDI channel. Or is there?!

What to do? Where to start?

(Or should the drum machine be the master/ clock to Beatstep and then I would just use the Beatstep to operate the two synths?)

Any advice appreciated!

mihalw

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Connecting 2 MIDI synths and a Drum Machine ATSM
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:18:34 pm »
Hi alezzofio

It seems tr-707 can be set to any midi channel you need. Take a look
here: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-tr-707-changing-midi-channel-omni-mode-of/
or
https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=90505.0
to find more information.

Before that I would suggest to connect only the tr-707 and check on which channel it is currently responding. You can do this by changing midi output channel on the bsp one by one. This is to ensure the connections and tr-707 are ok.

Hope this helps,
Michał

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines