April 25, 2024, 06:29:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Considering purchase - but don't know anything about CV  (Read 1518 times)

sandr0

Considering purchase - but don't know anything about CV
« on: October 24, 2017, 05:55:32 am »
Hi all

I am considering purchasing a Keystep after I saw a demo online of it controlling a Yamaha CS-15 via CV. I've also read that it will be able to control an old Minimoog Model D as well.

I have both synths but don't know anything about CV.

Obviously I will need to buy the appropriate leads, and I suspect they will be different for each synth. Is there anything online to guide me through all this?

I've tried YouTube but couldn't find anything specific, and both manuals aren't much help.

Cheers

BodoBrute

Re: Considering purchase - but don't know anything about CV
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 03:18:39 pm »
I have both synths but don't know anything about CV.

The two most basic functions are control voltage influencing the VCO(s) of your synth; and gate which is usually used to trigger the envelopes (such as ADSR).

CV: The higher the CV, the higher the note the VCOs will play. Today, the by far most common standard is 1 V/oct, in other words: Every additional Volt will increase the VCO frequency by 1 octave, which is equivalent to 1/12 V (83.33 mV) steps per semitone. A standard less commonly used (mainly by vintage Korg and Yamaha synths) is Hz/V where doubling the voltage will increase the VCO pitch by an octave. So for an V/oct synth, octaves are done in steps of 0 - 1 - 2 - 3... V, whereas it is like 1 - 2 - 4 - 8... V with Hz/V. 

Gate: Starting the gate by pressing a key triggers the ADSR (or whatever envelope your synth provides), and keeps it open on Sustain level until you release the key, at which point the envelope will go into Release.

Read this as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV/gate

Obviously I will need to buy the appropriate leads, and I suspect they will be different for each synth.

All you need is one lead each for CV and gate. The Keystep has 1/8 inch jacks (mono), your synths will most likely have 1/4 inch jacks, so you need leads with the appropriate plugs on each end.

Check out section 8.4 of the Keystep manual and match the Keystep outputs (CV mode V/oct or V/Hz; gate voltage; trigger mode) to what your synths require. This can be found in their respective manuals.

If your synths have modulation CV inputs and you want to use them as well, you'll need a third lead of the same kind.

That's all!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 04:42:37 pm by BodoBrute »

sandr0

Re: Considering purchase - but don't know anything about CV
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 02:28:35 am »
Thanks BodoBrute

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines