March 28, 2024, 05:04:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Vocal-synth lead on Jon & Vangelis's 'I'll Find My Way Home'  (Read 2144 times)

VCO8

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Vocal-synth lead on Jon & Vangelis's 'I'll Find My Way Home'
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:26:38 pm »
How would you re-create Vangelis's unique vocal synth lead played halfway through the song? I've tried it with the ring modulator at various settings, but I think he simply combined two very different preset banks (modified of course).

hermitnerd

• Paul Schilling
    • Soundcloud page with synth demos
Re: Vocal-synth lead on Jon & Vangelis's 'I'll Find My Way Home'
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »
How would you re-create Vangelis's unique vocal synth lead played halfway through the song? I've tried it with the ring modulator at various settings, but I think he simply combined two very different preset banks (modified of course).

I just spent a bit of time on it. Not as much as I normally do but this gets pretty close. I attached two different versions, see which one you like better.

The key to the vocal quality is
- have the resonance high
- have the high pass filter cutoff at about half way to simulate the vocal quality (in combination with the low-pass filter this basically creates a band-pass filter)
- Set the KEYB. CONTROL -> BRILLIANCE low/high so that the filter=  track with the keyboard

Both synth lines use a combination of saw and (fairly thin) pulse  waveforms. The upper and lower synth lines are an octave apart and the lower synth line has its pulse width LFO-modulated to create more richness.

I think Vangelis is playing this patch two-handed (an octave apart), at least in some places.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines