March 28, 2024, 10:55:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Finer control of parameters with MIDI controllers?  (Read 3060 times)

MuddySuzuki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Finer control of parameters with MIDI controllers?
« on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:50 pm »
Hello there!

My enjoyment of the V-Collection 5 has increased exponentially now that I'm using a combination of a Novation Impulse keyboard and a Behringer BCR2000. However, the synths themselves often have a much wider control range for their parameters than a MIDI controller can provide for, as of course they can only send values between 0-127. For example, I can do much smoother filter sweeps using the mouse on the GUI than twiddling the appropriate rotary control on my BCR, and this is frustrating as the whole point is to try and get away from using the mouse and instead being able to use the soft-synths more like the real instruments.

So (as usual forgive my ignorance here if I've missed something really obvious) does anyone know how I can get finer/wider control of parameters using external MIDI controllers? Is the BCR2000 capable of doing such things or is there a better alternative? Would I maybe be better off investing in a touchscreen?

Also, on a related matter: often there are controls which don't need nearly so many values, for example, the waveform selector on the Mini-V. Of course I can use a regular rotary to control the selector, but I wondered if there was a way to get a button (that is normally just one of two values, on or off) to 'cycle through' the available options?

Thanks for your time.

LBH

Re: Finer control of parameters with MIDI controllers?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 11:57:44 pm »
On my Novation SL MKII i have not been able to assign the 14 bit control function that's needed to get more values than 128 to VC5 stand alone version. Perhaps i just don't know how to.

I have managed to get a finer control to work in my DAW, by changing the Novation Automap range parameters for an endless encoder. I think it only works with my controllers endless encoders. I have only tried this way in my DAW.

At the time it's perhaps about the possibilities your controller give you, if you can get finer control.

I would be happy, if Arturia could explain how it was possible to get this finer control using MIDI learn also in standalone mode.
I guess it's about MSB and LSB possibilities in the VC5 that should give 128x128 = 16384 values instead of only 128. Perhaps about other things. Are there other ways? It would be great even if it include the use of a computer keyboard key to shift to fine adjustment for the controllers control.

Can you please explain Arturia?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 12:02:02 am by LBH »

MuddySuzuki

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Re: Finer control of parameters with MIDI controllers?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 09:32:54 am »
Hey LBH, I've only just seen this reply, just as I'm about to go on holiday for the week! But that's intriguing about being able to have finer control in the DAW with Automap, I shall investigate this when I get home again. Cheers!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines