April 23, 2024, 08:03:24 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Exp1 & Exp2 motions not sent to DAW as MIDI messages!  (Read 2117 times)

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
Exp1 & Exp2 motions not sent to DAW as MIDI messages!
« on: October 14, 2017, 01:41:29 am »
Is this a technical issue or a feature request? Both, I guess.

For my MxB I've just purchased a great expression pedal (Boss EV-30 for €99), which is built like a tank (diecast aluminium chassis and pedal plate) and has two range-adjustable EXP outputs, the second of which can be inverted in polarity. The motion feels very smooth and it gives precise control over the whole range. It works well with the MxB, and you can simultaneously modulate through Exp 1 (matrix row O) and Exp 2 (matrix row P) or either of those plus an external effect (if it has an EXP/CTL input, like some BOSS pedals). If using Exp 1 and Exp 2 simultaneously, you can additionally modulate the former with M3 and the latter with M4.

However, I was disappointed to discover that, with the MxB hooked up to my DAW via the USB MIDI interface (or an external MIDI interface), expression pedal motions are not being transmitted as MIDI CC messages.  ???

According to the MxB manual, Exp 1 and M3 are summed, as are Exp 2 and M4. This is clearly what's happening for local control, but MIDI Out just transmits the M3 and M4 motions as CC messages, not the sums! Why on earth? Is this design or defect?

Could this feature be added to the MIDI implementation of the upcoming MxB software update, or is this a hardware limitation?

[For comparison, I also own a Korg Triton Classic, which does transmit expression pedal motions -- indeed ALL controller motions -- as MIDI messages.]
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:48:30 pm by robst247 »
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Exp1 & Exp2 motions not sent to DAW as MIDI messages!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 12:11:35 pm »
Hmm... according to the manual EXP 1/2 and M 3/4 should be assigned to MIDI CC 3 and 4.

BTW, having both EXP 1 and 2 connected from a pedal with two outputs doesn't give you more modulation destinations - you only need one row to reach them all. I suppose that with a pedal with two outputs you could send one to the MxB and one to another synth instead, to utilize the pedal to its max. If you had two separate pedals, connecting both to the MxB would give separate control of (up to) all destinations.

robst247

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
    • RobSt247 on SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 04:56:46 pm »
No MIDI CC is being transmitted when the expression pedal is used - it only provides local control, and this works even when local control is disabled in Arturia MIDI Control Center! This strikes me as rather illogical.

You're right about the second point. My brain was operating in WT rather than LT mode yesterday. WT = wishful thinking; LT = logical thinking. ;-)
I've edited my post to reflect what I now believe to be REALITY.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 05:54:58 pm by robst247 »
Morpheus: "Nobody can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself."

everasia

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 03:48:56 am »
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I've also run into this and I find this limitation quite disappointing as well.

So you basically cannot capture your performance in MIDI if you play a lot with expression pedals (as I do)

I hope this can be fixed in FW, I do not see why it should not be in this way, let's hope and see,

PrShadocko

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 08:03:10 am »
I hope too, I was very disappointed and don't understand this omission...

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 10:17:08 am »
Hey.

This issue is logged on our side and should be fixed in the next MatrixBrute update.

Cheers

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

gregae2001

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 02:24:12 pm »
Hey.

This issue is logged on our side and should be fixed in the next MatrixBrute update.

Cheers

Edouard

Any idea when the update will be released?

PES

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 12:12:48 am »
I just noticed this when using the MxB for controlling another synth. Glad to see it's logged and will be fixed.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines