March 29, 2024, 06:05:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Unquantized recording!!! Record the shift.  (Read 8722 times)

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Unquantized recording!!! Record the shift.
« on: October 12, 2017, 08:47:42 pm »
Come on guys... the BSP would be perfect with it.

Is a master feature, record a shift from the step equal to the timing the note is recorded. It is so frustrating to edit by hand the shift for the drum and other sequences. After a while is crap to hear only quantized sequences.

megamarkd

• Dead By Dawn
Re: Unquantized recording!!! Record the shift.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:46:33 am »
Umm, it's a step-sequencer, that is what they do, move the note being recorded in realtime to the nearest step.
Currently running https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1311723 / www.modulargrid.net, sequencing with KSP and recording with a Zoom (no DAW involved, for better or worse ;) )

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 07:01:13 am »
Many sequencers allow unquantised recording and I wholeheartedly agree that adding this functionality would make it orders of magnitude better.

+1
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:42 am »
My guess is that it wouldn't require any major work, the BSP has already the shift function and there would be no major load added to the hardware.

Not being able to have unQuantized recording is the major reason while a lot of people re selling their BSPs (reading around forums).
Is a major limit to the type of music that one can do.
If this made sense decades ago when people compensated with a different musicality the technical lack, in 2017 this is just frustrating.
I almost ended up going always back to record with a pad and a DAW, forced quantization is painful and breaks the workflow.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:59 pm »
Would be great to hear from a developer.... I may move on to a different sequencer otherwise. Nothing against over quantizing everything... but this limitation would strongly impair my production. Shifting by hand nisn't an option, kills creativity nd the flow.

Love the BS otherwise!

syrupcore

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:30:59 am »
I would love to see this feature too but probably best to not guess how hard something is if you didn't build it. Maybe it requires too much CPU to do it in real time (or enough of the CPU to mess up other things during live recording). As an example, and this is pure speculation on my part... The required ppqn resolution is going to be ~50X higher which is a lot of CPU cycles (1 possible spot per step vs 50 possible spots per step). Or, during recording, the code: "That note came in a little early. Should it be a negative offset or a positive offset on the previous step? First check if there was an event on the previous step... too much recursion..." All of this eats CPU.

Maybe they can drum up a way to store timestamps and defer calculating the offsets until you're back in play mode, who knows. Would love to see it too.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 05:31:35 pm »
I would love to see this feature too but probably best to not guess how hard something is if you didn't build it. Maybe it requires too much CPU to do it in real time (or enough of the CPU to mess up other things during live recording). As an example, and this is pure speculation on my part... The required ppqn resolution is going to be ~50X higher which is a lot of CPU cycles (1 possible spot per step vs 50 possible spots per step). Or, during recording, the code: "That note came in a little early. Should it be a negative offset or a positive offset on the previous step? First check if there was an event on the previous step... too much recursion..." All of this eats CPU.

Maybe they can drum up a way to store timestamps and defer calculating the offsets until you're back in play mode, who knows. Would love to see it too.

My guesss is that is rather simple. the BSP does already soething similar or velocity, and the CPU speed isnt too bad, should be able to browse and set the offset x step while recording.

Would be nice to hear from a developer is they are planning the feature in teh next  firmware... it is highly requested in the forums.

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:10:43 pm »
Many sequencers allow unquantised recording and I wholeheartedly agree that adding this functionality would make it orders of magnitude better.

+1

Bump. Come on dudes

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 02:08:32 pm »
Come on... users are asking this feature from years... it is all over on every single forum and you still don't spend a week coding in this feature in the next firmware?!

ryjtyj

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 09:36:21 am »
I'm praying for this feature. It is crucial. It is game-changing. It is awesome. Pleeease

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 09:24:58 pm »
I'm praying for this feature. It is crucial. It is game-changing. It is awesome. Pleeease

Then let's pray together bro. We are gonna make it happen, god be with us!

(And by the way... I need some Karma!!!!!!!!)

Sebiz

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
  • BSP->KeyStep->BCR2000->Roland D2-> EuroCrack...
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 01:04:41 pm »
Yes!!! I'm in favor of unquantified recording!!

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2019, 03:30:33 pm »
Yes!!! I'm in favor of unquantified recording!!

Then cross your fingers, heard a new update is coming out soon! ;)

ansorg

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 08:53:17 pm »
Yes, it would truly be great if it were possible to do unquantized recordings, I keep my fingers crossed!

wbonx

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:55 am »
And look at my Karma bro... is sky rocketing from -8 to -1 !! :D

More thumbs up for UNQUANTIZED RECORDING !

:-*

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines